Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LakiSoft

Help to get Hexen Deathkings for my friend

Hello, I would like to know which is the best place to buy Hexen Deathkings of the Dark Citadel expansion pack for my friend. He has all the Doom games and Heretic & Hexen, but he is missing Hexen Deathkings only. I would like to know which is the best option to get this damn expansion, is the only thing my friend doesn't have. I told my friend to just download HEXDD.WAD only this time (because i have it but is not original like he wants, i got as birthday present from a real life friend that had heretic and hexen full versions & expansions on a burned CD with source port SKULLTAG few years ago) but my online friend says its warez/piracy and doesn't like that, so he wants to buy a original copy from ebay but its too expensive and he doesnt have the money, though he did buy other games he needed, just not this one because is rare.
I know STEAM as the best solution (because many people told me to buy from steam) but we both dont like digital download, so i would like to know which is the best solution in this case. Should he get a copy from steam or from ebay?
Also if someone has a retail copy of Hexen Deathkings expansion and wants it to sell on ebay, please let me know. Hope you will help me & my friend in this situation, I know its hard to believe but its true. ;)

You're both opposed to Steam, so why even bother asking between Steam and eBay? You're between a self-imposed rock and a hard place. But, well, here is what I see.

HEXDD is currently at 50% off on Steam because of the holiday sale (for me, living in America, it's $2.49 US, roughly the price of two 20oz soft drinks) and Steam has zero control over what you do with the WAD once it's installed / downloaded into steamapps. You're giving Steam some money and you're also giving the people who get money whenever HEXDD is sold some cash. If it looks like I'm glazing over the issues of Steam it's because I'm sure you already know them all. Plus if you're not living in America it might have comparatively inflated prices depending on the publisher (like those poor fuckers in Australia).

I see a copy on eBay for $8.99 US right now, though copies look to run as high as $44.99 US, though that's rather high compared to the others (some package deals with Hexen and / or Heretic running for about the same). I don't know how much shipping will cost you, I'll brazenly assume that you're not living in America.

Like I said, you're between a self-imposed rock and a hard place. Ultimately you'll probably roll with eBay to spite digital distribution.

Just bite the bullet and get it on Steam already. It'll be far, far more expensive if you want to go the physical route.

You've already listed your best options. If you don't like Steam then eBay it is. At a pinch you might find copies on Amazon as well.

Thanks for replies!

@kmxexii: I asked what was the best solution between these two, i hate steam but i added as a second solution.

Yes, i saw on steam is only $2.49 but as i said i don't like digital download. why would i want to give steam's my money? do the money go to id software or to Valve's steam? i know stupid question but i'm confused here.
Where did you see a copy that is only $8.99? all copies I see are of $40+ because of their shipping, otherwise they would be $20 at most. I live in Serbia and the shipping on ebay is $40 or more because all sellers are from US. If they were from UK, then shipping would cost $10 at most. I know that because my friend told me some time ago, i have never bought from ebay but my friend did to get many games (Doom included).

@Mr. Chris: I assume the risk to get psychical copy. Yes i know its stupid decision. Maybe i shouldn't have made this thread at all, i don't want to be banned because of my stupid questions. :(

LakiSoft said:

Thanks for replies!

Yes, i saw on steam is only $2.49 but as i said i don't like digital download. why would i want to give steam's my money? do the money go to id software or to Valve's steam? i know stupid question but i'm confused here.
Where did you see a copy that is only $8.99?

Steam gets a % cut with the rest of the money going to whoever usually gets the money for it (be they developer or publisher), idk if it's id Software or Bethesda now. The only hard figure I have ever heard was Steam getting 30% of sales (Phil Fish of Fez) but the number may not be universal.

The $8.99 price was up there like an hour ago but it's gone now.

@Fraggle: I tried Amazon but it have less features and cant see a screenshot for item. And it has a confusing layout.

LakiSoft said:

@Fraggle: I tried Amazon but it have less features and cant see a screenshot for item. And it has a confusing layout.

Bear in mind, if you buy an old game like this on Amazon, you aren't actually buying from Amazon itself - you're buying from a third party seller who is selling things through Amazon's website. Kind of like eBay. If you look here you can see various people selling it, for example. They have some basic descriptions of the condition of the copies they're selling, but if you want photos, you might try contacting the seller directly - I've done this in the past with items I've bought myself from Amazon marketplace sellers.

@Mr. Chris: I assume the risk to get psychical copy. Yes i know its stupid decision. Maybe i shouldn't have made this thread at all, i don't want to be banned because of my stupid questions. :(

Not a stupid question at all, and you are certainly not going to be banned for asking it!

@kmxexii: Well, i think i will wait more for cheaper items to appear on ebay and then i will inform my friend. i don't think it's necessary right now if its too expensive. ;)

@fraggle: Thanks man for support, I will get familiarized with amazon and i'm glad my question wasn't that stupid. also i knew that you buy from sellers but i meant the layout looks confusing and that you cant see their pictures.
P.S: Your Chocolate Doom 2.0.0 is best!

LakiSoft said:

@Mr. Chris: I assume the risk to get psychical copy.

I suppose that downloading a game directly into your consciousness would be dangerous, indeed!

Steam's Deathkings has no DRM. All you need from it, like other Doom engine games, is the hexDD.wad file. Theres really no reason not to get it from there

If you want something, and can get it really cheap with no drawbacks, get it

I have hexenDD on steam and I never use steam for the game. just grab the wad and use a source port. Plus with steam is that once you own it you can redownload the game as many times as you want. Won't have to worry about rebuying the game if anything happened to your computer.

Edited by mod: I should read the FAQ, specifically the part about how this site has a "strict policy against copyright infringement"

So, giving away copies of pirated software is OK if the recipient has previously purchased related and/or similar titles? I'm not sure I follow that line of reasoning.