Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
William Blazkowicz

If you worked at ID and where in charge of making a new monster, what would it be?

Title says it all. What monster would you make? Would it be fast or slow? strong or weak (health and attack)? What weapons if any? What does it look like? Ect...

I just thought to make this thread to see if anyone is creative (which I am sure plenty are).

It'd be slowish, of average strength, and would have an amusing death animation. Like the classic cacodemon. Something that's fun to kill without being pointless.

Probably something similar to a lost soul but is capable of possessing you for a short amount of time, which in game would reverse your movement controls.

Something that requires a new movement pattern to evade, like the Mancubus and Revenant. I mentioned a Cacodemon that spits three balls in the Realm667 thread, that's sort of what I'm thinking but maybe not that exact behavior.

Doom is a movement-based game in many senses and I think this is something a lot of the new community-made monsters fail at.

Daisy the rabid rabbit. <plagiarism>There would also be an item pickup you can throw at other players or lesser monsters to bunnify them.</plagiarism>

GreyGhost said:

Daisy the rabid rabbit. <plagiarism>There would also be an item pickup you can throw at other players or lesser monsters to bunnify them.</plagiarism>

Hah, instead of the Morph Ovum, it'd be called the Easter Egg.

I'll see myself out now. :V

I would make a zombie marine with a plasma rifle or a zombie lab-coat with a chainsaw.

A rabbit zombie that runs really fast and hurts not that much, maybe 5% damage every bite, it bites fast and then runs away and then again and again untill the player dies.
But the health will be really fucking low, you can shoot it once with a pistol and it'll die, I'll say it has 5% HP... Oh, and you can't punch or saw it because they're too small unless you get onto a lower platform.

Also instead of the exit getting revealed in MAP32 after you kill the keens, it will release a mecha-keen and when you kill it you win.
Keen will launch BFG-balls when he attacks and will have 10,000 HP.

GreyGhost said:

Daisy the rabid rabbit.

Yoink!
Nothing. Don't worry about it. Wish i'd thought of it myself.

A three headed floating revenant wraith. Tough as a baron and fires bursts of homing missiles three at a time.

Arch-Arch-Vile

Can resurrect three monsters at the same time, including cyberdemons, spider masterminds and other viles. He also regenerates his own health and shoots unholy bolts of black hellfire that not only does 100-150 damage, but also destroys the best weapon (highest number) in the players inventory.
His health and speed is also double that of a regular arch-vile
Fuck yeah.

Arch-arch-arch-vile: Each attack deals 1000 damage and deletes one of your savegames at random. After getting killed by one your next player has speed reduced by half and keys reassigned. When it kills any other monster it resurrects it as three cyberdemons. Spawns three more of itself when killed.

Something like an Arch-Vile, except that once the attack sequence begins it just slowly cooks the player with a constant wreath of flames for as long as the line of sight isn't broken. Moves slower and is slightly weaker, but takes less time when resurrecting fallen Hellspawn.

StupidBunny said:

Arch-arch-arch-vile: Each attack deals 1000 damage and deletes one of your savegames at random. After getting killed by one your next player has speed reduced by half and keys reassigned. When it kills any other monster it resurrects it as three cyberdemons. Spawns three more of itself when killed.

This is not the Blessed Engine. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Archie the Archvile. He's an incredibly incompetent demon, half the time his flame attack is off target and he accidentally roasts nearby demons rather than the player. Don't let his clumsiness fool you, sometimes he'll unintentionally detonate a nearby barrel blowing you to smithereens. Also, his resurrection power is less than stellar as he brings monsters back with only 50% of their health. He also has a hard time navigating stairs and elevators. He also had a bad habit of telefragging his fellow demons. They tell him to wait a few seconds before stepping onto the teleport pad, but he never listens.

Thinking about it, most of the weapons have an enemy counterpart; Former Humans have pistols, Former Sergeants have shotguns, Former Commandos and Spider Masterminds have chainguns, Cyberdemons have rocket launchers, and Arachnotrons have plasma guns. That basically leaves out chainsaw enemies, fist enemies, SSG enemies and BFG enemies. Chainsaw and fist enemies probably wouldn't be that interesting (and would kind of inch into the Demon's melee-only territory, anyway), but SSG and BFG enemies could be... especially if the BFG enemies abuse the heck out of the BFG's mechanics, as a somewhat obtuse way of teaching players that it's the direction the ball was shot in that matters, more than the ball itself.

That said, that's somewhat dull. Maybe crib from Quake's bestiary, have monsters that lunge at you like the Fiend or have a strong hitscan attack with a long-winded wind-up animation like the Shambler?

I'm not very creative, is what I'm getting at, I guess.

If I worked at id, the monster I'd deliver would be called "I quit!"

Probably something overpowered, with more annoying/terrifying sound effects. I also really like monsters that teleport sporadically, although this can only be done with monster-teleport lines in vanilla Doom, I still like the effect.

I guess something like a weeping angel with very high HP. Mix that in with other monsters (especially an ambush from behind!), and you've got yourself a tricky situation.

Well we already have a Hell Knight and Baron of Hell, so I think it's fair that they have a boss version of that where it is bigger and fires multiple shots at you at a time

I don't really consider the IOS a baphoment, it barely even resembles one, it looks more like a demonically mutated goat head.

What monster would I create? One word:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

Snakes said:

What monster would I create? One word:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

A monster called snakes.