Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

Mapping Challenge: make this hallway "interesting"

Hey all, I figured it's been some time since we've had some random speedmapping nonsense challenge, so I'm throwing one out there.

Make this hallway "interesting". What does that mean exactly? Well, whatever you want. Add loads of enemies, additional sectors, lifts, doors, teleports, textures, expand or shrink the area and just go wild. Just remember that you have to:

- Keep the weapons, teles and exit in the same "areas"
- Keep the outline recognizable. If I can't tell that you used the map above as the base design, you've essentially failed the challenge.

Again you can add sectors outside of what I made above as long as it doesn't become too elaborate. Download template here. Good luck!

Hmm, does it matter what game/gamemode it's for? Just wanna know in case there's a compilation in mind or somesuch.

Hmm, guess it was a compound question: I was also wondering about which IWAD to use. Though those two answers are just as relevant, so there we go. ;)

TBH, I'll probably do what I had in mind anyway and just shrug if the "rules" are shattered, though. Just to say it up front. :P

Is there any due date on this? With only being one hallway, I might give this a shot when I get back home on the first; could be a fun break from my current project, and Skullgirls is distracting me too much to get anything "big" done, heh.

Seconding the question about the due date. I've been out of mapping for a good six or seven years and this would be a great way to get back into it!

Cynical said:

Is there any due date on this? With only being one hallway, I might give this a shot when I get back home on the first; could be a fun break from my current project, and Skullgirls is distracting me too much to get anything "big" done, heh.

No due date, although I don't see this going on longer than a month

I might try something with this, not sure. I really shouldn't pick up any more projects (even put my own maps off for now), but I can't imagine this taking long at all, especially given my preference for IWAD-esque detailing.

I like the 'make something based on a simple template' idea. Sort of similar to how 1024 maps harness creativity by placing guiding restrictions/rules, and can see this spawning similar future projects.

Does the player start have to stay in its position too, or can it be moved?

This challenge seems like a good idea, I may give it a try when I finish if I finish when I don't finish after I finish my DWMP2013 submission.

jazzmaster9 said:

Here's my Map, "Hell Patrol" for Zdoom,
based on DooM 64's Cat and Mouse.

https://www.mediafire.com/?l94084kcx2jqw02

Interesting mechanic. I usually dislike the silent teleports, but I think the level only works because of it. Both my deaths came went he silently teleported at the end of a dark hallway and I couldn't see him until the rocket splattered me apart. :P

Vile1011 said:

I probably went overboard on the detail, but I haven't mapped in years and just had to get it all out of my system.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7ga7k7vpsg2ztg

Tested under zdoom but it should work under any limit removing source port.

I agree that it's really overboard on the detail (a lot of this is because of all the clashing textures used) but I like the setup - good way of turning that hallway into a whole level (and made for a good opposite to Jazzmaster's cat-and-mouse map).

Vile1011 said:

I probably went overboard on the detail, but I haven't mapped in years and just had to get it all out of my system.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7ga7k7vpsg2ztg

Tested under zdoom but it should work under any limit removing source port.

This is really cool! Fun to play, and well detailed as well. I'd recommend you start mapping again!
P.S.:I know this is nitpicking, but I think you misplaced the secret trigger.

Quick question: we can't move the weapons, but are we allowed to raise the floor underneath them to create high pedestals, so they can't be grabbed without hitting a switch?

Name: Millstone Incendiaries
Author(s): Alfonzo
Build Time: 2 days
Editor(s) Used: Doom Builder 2, SLADE
Source Port: Boom compatible

Music: "Economy of Truth" by Jimmy
Difficulty settings: UV only (pending)
Deathmatch: No
Co-op: Yes
Author comments: I started making this level immediately after seeing the thread two days ago, and have succeeded in smashing the hallway beyond all recognisability. The general layout of the template remains intact, however, with player movements accurately corresponding to where the connections, nooks and recesses were to begin with, and the weapons, exit and teleport setup unmoved. I hope it's a valid submission. T'was fun, in any case!

Are you planning on releasing these maps as part of a small pack of some sort? Perhaps additional challenges could be put forward?

^ I'll probably compile everything seeing as this is getting enough attention to warrant a release. Your map looks nothing like the original template but I kinda like seeing what people do with the starting draft, whether or not they stick with its textures and shape or go hog wild as you did.

I've been considering expanding on this idea if we wanted a bigger release, like say offering three maps to chose from each with a few minor vague bullet points (eg ends with a cyberdemon battle, needs a nukage run, uses crushers in X hallways, rocket launcher is first weapon given) but I'm unsure whether people would find these requirements too strict or not. If I do make more templates, I'll try my best to keep them small and asymmetrical though.

Cynical said:

Quick question: we can't move the weapons, but are we allowed to raise the floor underneath them to create high pedestals, so they can't be grabbed without hitting a switch?

Yup, that was actually the intention for my map.

I think the project would benefit from more templates to choose from so there is more variety.

killer2 said:

What's up with this trolling?

um im not trolling its called good map design
i put alot of effort

Alfonzo said:

Name: Millstone Incendiaries
Author(s): Alfonzo
Build Time: 2 days
Editor(s) Used: Doom Builder 2, SLADE
Source Port: Boom compatible

I think you're just an extra ammo pack or two away from a winner here. I spent most of the map down to just a few bullets and shells and only made it out by running into a safe corner as soon as I got the berzerker and then just punching whatever came by.