Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NightFright

Blinking eyes for Doom mugshot

They encouraged me to make a new thread for this, so well... here it is. :P

I have salvaged some work from the "Smooth Animations" project over from the ZDoom forums, i.e. the blinking eyes for the Doom mugshot made by StalkerZHS.

blinkmod.jpg

I have made a little file you can use in ZDoom (or compatible) ports:

Blinking eyes for Doom mugshot v1.21 (PK3, 26 KB)

Download (Dropbox)

Mirror #1 (Mega)

What it does exactly:
It adds blinking (closed eyes) frames for the normal (default) and "rampage" (sustained fire) view of the statusbar mugshot, making it look more "alive" and "natural", if you want. All pain states are also included.

Notes:
- Contains SBARINFO code, so will only work with ZDoom or compatible ports.
- Useless if combined with PWADs that alter the mugshot (e.g. Eternal Doom III).
- Frames provided by StalkerZHS were double res so I had to resize them. Since some frames got distorted that way, I just took the eyes sections and combined them with the original mugshot frames from doom.wad.
- BOOM-style HUD from the screenshot is NOT included.

Credits:
- id Software  (original visuals)
- StalkerZHS (mugshot frames with closed eyes)
- DTDsphere (transparent fullscreen statusbar code)
- Hexereticdoom (level stats graphics)

Edited by NightFright

Will this work with the PSX Doom TC/Lost Levels? They changed the status bar for those projects, so I wasn't sure if it still has to use the standard PC status bar.

This should work with any PWAD which does not modify the mugshot itself. If the statusbar changes while mugshot remains the same, it will work. :)

More mirrors added in case some of you have problems with Bayfiles, btw.

*EDIT*
I have also added an alternate version which shortens the time of the blinking to make it look more natural. It's not random any more like that, but in return it cannot happen that blinking frames are used 2x in a row (which looked kinda silly).

Job said:

Will this work with the PSX Doom TC/Lost Levels? They changed the status bar for those projects, so I wasn't sure if it still has to use the standard PC status bar.

No, it won't. The TC uses the PSX face sprites (lower resolution, named HUD* instead of STF*).

I got notified that this mod did not work with GZDoom v3.0 any more, and looking at the sbarinfo code, it didn't surprise me.

Version 1.2 has been uploaded, links are in the first post.

Changelog:

- Compatibility with GZDoom v3.0
- Now also includes transparent fullscreen statusbar (with level stats display)
- Repackaged (PK3 instead of WAD)

Update May 8, 2017

Version 1.21 uploaded (level stats display relocated to upper right corner and has proper alignment when using fullscreen statusbar scaling)

Edited by NightFright