Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chesse20

custom color palette doesnt work

i put it in using slade and when im building the map in doombuilder it looks right but when i play the game in zdoom or zandronum the color palette is the same colors as dooms normal palette whats wrong?

Unlike GZDoom and Zandronum's OpenGL renderer, ZDoom's software renderer doesn't support truecolor mode (or colors outside the game's palette) in an image, and it'll remap the image's colors to the closest colors available in the game's palette.

You have added a PLAYPAL and it doesn't show in-game?

Where exactly did you put it? The PLAYPAL should be in the global namespace. It should not be between any *_START/*END markers, and it should not be in a map wad in a pk3 archive.

What you need to know is:
Palettes simply do not work in GZDoom and in Zandronum OpenGL renderer on PNG graphics.
But they should work in ZDoom.

EDIT: Corrected again.

gOrEE33 said:

Any playpal lump must be in top of the list. Every iwad it have like that.

Incorrect and incorrect. It does not have to be the first entry and not every IWAD has it like that (heretic.wad, hexen.wad, plutonia.wad, tnt.wad). However, it should not be between markers such as S_START/S_END etc.

Enjay said:

Incorrect and incorrect. It does not have to be the first entry and not every IWAD has it like that (heretic.wad, hexen.wad, plutonia.wad, tnt.wad). However, it should not be between markers such as S_START/S_END etc.

1. Heretic DOES have the playpal on the top
2. I already know that it wouldnt be between s_start and the s_end
3. Sorry, i said it incorrectly: Only Iwads maded from scratch must have
their custom palette, not the sequels of doom...

Yeah?

gOrEE33 said:

1. Heretic DOES have the playpal on the top

Not in my copy:

but I suspect that the EXTENDED lump isn't in the original 3 episode WAD.

As long as it's there, and not in an incorrect namespace (like S_* markers) PLAYPAL should work. I have a few custom IWADs where PLAYPAL is not the first entry. I also just experimented with a copy of DOOM2.WAD and put the PLAYPAL lump right at the end of the WAD. DOOM2.EXE still played it correctly.

The Doom engine doesn't care about the position of a lump, outside of it being within certain markers or not.

Enjay said:

Not in my copy:
(Fuck you too)

As long as it's there, and not in an incorrect namespace (like S_* markers) PLAYPAL should work. I have a few custom IWADs where PLAYPAL is not the first entry. I also just experimented with a copy of DOOM2.WAD and put the PLAYPAL lump right at the end of the WAD. DOOM2.EXE still played it correctly.

Well, ok not saying anything, but:

Enjay said:
I have a few custom IWADs where PLAYPAL is not the first entry. I also just experimented with a copy of DOOM2.WAD and put the PLAYPAL lump right at the end of the WAD. DOOM2.EXE still played it correctly.[/B]

Ok ok, nevermind...

Enjay said:

Correct, PLAYPAL is the first lump in that wad.