Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
codeslicer

If you worked at id and were incharge of making a new weapon, what would it be?

A meme layer, or maybe a bandwagon launcher. It'd be exactly like something else, but as a weapon!

A six-barreled rapid fire shotgun. It would be like a chaingun, only it's a shotgun.

TheMightyHeracross said:

I'd implement that rifle that never got in. Fires an accurate, powerful shot, uses its own ammo pool, and has that bayonet that attacks if the target is in melee range.

I think Brutal Doom added that in

A rifle, to replace pistol. Marine's sprites show him carrying a rifle like the zombieman's one, so it's an obvious choice. It would be stronger than pistol. As well as zombiemen would get stronger at the same time. Possibility of its melee attack doesn't sound bad, too.

scifista42 said:

A rifle, to replace pistol. Marine's sprites show him carrying a rifle like the zombieman's one, so it's an obvious choice. It would be stronger than pistol. As well as zombiemen would get stronger at the same time. Possibility of its melee attack doesn't sound bad, too.

(See Brutal Doom)

BaronOfStuff said:

^ Fuck Brutal Doom.

Anyway, I'd just replace the SSG with the one from KDiZD. That massively reduced firing speed means no more relying heavily on the SSG.

A laser gun that shoots a laser beam (red glowing ball) and although it would be 1 1/2x stronger than a pistol, the laser would pass through enemies. And the gun would also fire at the same rate as a pistol and use up 10 cells per shot.

William Blazkowicz said:

A laser gun that shoots a laser beam (red glowing ball) and although it would be 1 1/2x stronger than a pistol, the laser would pass through enemies. And the gun would also fire at the same rate as a pistol and use up 10 cells per shot.

Ooh, kind of like the magic wand in HeXen? I like that idea.

A long while back, I jotted down some ideas for a set of Doom-ish weapons with unique behaviors that would complement Doom's existing weapon set rather than replace them. I eventually got the chance to do exactly that, and the end result is the expanded arsenal in ZDCMP2, which I'm rather proud of.

For the purposes of contributing a list to the thread, they are:

• Slot 2: Rifle - Between pistol and shotgun in power, perfectly accurate (ZDCMP2's has a "shotgun" altfire that wasn't part of the original design).
  • Slot 3: Auto Shotgun - Not a particularly "interesting" firearm, but it does offer higher DPS than the SSG at the cost of higher ammo consumption, so there's that.
  • Slot 4: Nailgun - Fires spiky things that rip through targets. A real crowd pleaser, or some similar cliche.
  • Slot 5: Flamethrower - Short range, burns through multiple enemies, sets things on fire. 'Nuff said.
  • Slot 6: Dark Claw - Demonic weapon firing homing projectiles that bounce off walls (ZDCMP2's has a "vampiric" altfire that wasn't part of the original design).
  • Slot 7: Soulrender - Demonic weapon that fires a large projectile that shoots lightning bolts at things (similar to Q2's BFG, only with unlimited range). This one was actually never planned until working on ZDCMP2's arsenal itself, but I've since backported it into my own "canon", so to speak.
As for which one to add? I 'unno -- pick whichever seems most appealing at any given moment. :P

I think Brutal Doom added that in

You didn't read my post, you just saw "Rifle". I'm talking about the Doom Alpha rifle sprites with the bayonet. I was thinking a semi-auto rifle with a bayonet for stabbing, not a full-auto assault rifle with iron sights.

TheMightyHeracross said:

You didn't read my post, you just saw "Rifle". I'm talking about the Doom Alpha rifle sprites with the bayonet. I was thinking a semi-auto rifle with a bayonet for stabbing, not a full-auto assault rifle with iron sights.

The alpha one had a bayonet??

I almost want to say a grenade launcher, but a good GL is reliant on being able to aim vertically to adjust your shot's trajectory. Still, something you could bounce off walls around corners would be great, especially if it detonated on impact with the floor rather than timed like the stupid Quake GL.

Also, since the alphas were brought up, I wish they used the 0.5 machine gun instead of the chaingun, with the same firing mechanics. I dunno, the chaingun has never really really done it for me, I know it was supposed to be badass but that machine gun was just so much cooler looking.

Holy hand grenades, which naturally will be the only weapon that's effective against rabid/zombie bunnies.

In the spirit of the reply I liked the most in the other thread I would have to say Daisy. Sick a monster seeking Zombie Daisy on an enemy and she will distract the target by setting them into a constant pain state without dishing out any damage for a short time. This would leave them vulnerable to attack of course.

A "sniper" rifle of some sort, maybe a single-shot rifle or a slug round/ammo type for the shotgun. In either case, this would be a single-point hitscan dealing heavy damage (maybe between 100-150 HP), with multiple target penetration (perhaps limited in number of targets) and slower firing rate than the SSG.

IMO, this would fill nicely a niche between the SSG, the RL and BFG, specifically multiple relatively tough monsters but too tedious to deal individually with the SSG, nor placed ideally for RL use and neither tough enough to justify using the BFG.

Some examples: small groups of Barons or large clusters of pinkies in cramped corridors, nor spread out in just the right way to use the RL). Also, a decent way to snipe e.g. perched revenants and chaingunners on towers and pillars, and to one-shot those pesky lost souls.

Kinda like a nerfed down version of the Boom/BEH railgun, which has become pretty much a de-facto "standard" in ZDaemon FFA.

Mutator gun, launches agonizing mutation chainreaction accompanied by death groans and constant begging to kill muttered by the victim