Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BattleMaster

Dynamically breakable walls?

First of all: Hi everybody

"Blurring the lines between interactive objects and decoration does change the game. At one point in the demonstration, a buffalo-sized hound from Hell nearly broke through a solid wall trying to get at the player. Knowing that walls are now penetrable will change the way players progress"

Reading the above statement in the MSNBC interview got me thinking: Will the environment be modifiable in such a way that monsters/players can actually break through walls and other objects in non pre-determined places?
I mean, if they are not, it is not that revolutionary since it would just be scriptet, like in so many other games.
Imo, it would be cool if objects such as walls, doors, pipes and so forth had some sort of "strength" attribute that determined how much force was necessary to break/bend it

BattleMaster said:

First of all: Hi everybody

"Blurring the lines between interactive objects and decoration does change the game. At one point in the demonstration, a buffalo-sized hound from Hell nearly broke through a solid wall trying to get at the player. Knowing that walls are now penetrable will change the way players progress"

Reading the above statement in the MSNBC interview got me thinking: Will the environment be modifiable in such a way that monsters/players can actually break through walls and other objects in non pre-determined places?
I mean, if they are not, it is not that revolutionary since it would just be scriptet, like in so many other games.
Imo, it would be cool if objects such as walls, doors, pipes and so forth had some sort of "strength" attribute that determined how much force was necessary to break/bend it

May i be the first to welcome you to the doomworld forums. I hope you will have a good time here.

Well. I don't think all walls are breakable. It's probably a little thing you check or uncheck in the editor.

Welcome BattleMaster :)

I don't think that the walls are breakable. Maybe some walls that you have to blast through to come to some spot there is a weapon or something.

Well, making everything breakable would just sort of ruin the fun, now wouldn't it :) Just rocket blasting your way through it all in a straight line from start to finish :P

I think that only certain walls and other architecture should be breakable, but in a more dynamic way than seen in other games. I mean, you could break walls in duke3d, but if it's just something like that it's hardly worth mentioning

I think what they talk about is a scripted sequence, I don't think that the player can decide to break a wall, or floor/ceiling.

I do think that these scripted events add to the dramtic effects>

THEY ARE IN THE WALLS !! - Scene 15, The Matrix

There is a scene in the demo where a demon breaks through some pipes, but that is most likely scripted.

that it did, but all of the hole looked similar. But blowing holes in walls rules. It's funny that RF's rail driver doesn't leave holes in the walls, just a funny pockmark.

Breakable walls would be realistic, but also ruin the game. And i'd say that sequence was scripted. So yeah. Just remember that demo was more to show us the features of the DooM III engine, so expect even better things to happen in the full version.

Damnit, it's a space base on Mars. If the walls were breakable by bullets and such, it would mean disaster if only small meteors fell down from the sky :P

It's pretty evident that it's scripted - id's artists wouldn't want to spend forever doing insanely detailed walls just to have them blown up by trigger-happy players. It's enough for me that only certain walls can be blown away.

That scene with Pinky breaking trough the pipes IS scripted, of course. Fred Nilsson animated the pipes bending, he said in one of the Gamespy interviews.