Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I never minded any of the original sprites (sans the errors of course, but the sprite fix wad takes care of that) but my god the firing sound volume should have been toned down by at least 25%.

The only thing about the sprite fix I don't consider a fix is the removal of the chaingunners recoil scene which shows him move back and fourth a bit from firing.

ViewtifulJC said:

-I don't think Doom 2 vanilla maps are very good at all. They start slow, pick up by the second half of episode 1, but halfway through the City section I have checked out mentally. Love the super-shotgun and the great additions to the bestiary, but the maps themselves are boring. Heck, I think I enjoyed Doom 2 the Way ID did more than vanilla.

Hey, that's an idea. Somebody I know at NeoGAF was thinking the same way; he might be interested in trying Doom 2 The Way id Did, too. I'll just go over there and tell hi- wait a second...

ViewtifulJC said:

-I savescum from time to time. I try to keep it down to "Ok, it took me 10 minutes to get this blue key on UV, I earned a checkpoint, I think", but there it is.

I save scum all the time, honestly, particularly on hard maps where I'm dying more frequently than I'd care for.

Actually, confession of my own: if I forget to save scum for a long time, die and have to start a level over, often times I'll just quit the game for a while. And that's with ZDoom, where at least my inventory at the start of the stage is maintained, and I'm not forced to have a pistol start.

Actually, confession of my own: if I forget to save scum for a long time, die and have to start a level over, often times I'll just quit the game for a while. And that's with ZDoom, where at least my inventory at the start of the stage is maintained, and I'm not forced to have a pistol start.

Ditto, but not before letting a loud "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" because some asshole thought it be funny to put a pair of chaingunners opening on either side right before the exit

actually, here's another confession while I'm here: I'm not a fan of the big Hell Revealed/Alien Vendetta style slaughter maps thats all the rage with the kids these days. If I wanted that, I go play Serious Sam(*avatar quote*).

I'm not really fond of slaughter maps myself, especially when they consist of revenants, I'm also not fond of many revenants together such as 4 and above in non-slaughter maps.

Avoozl said:

The only thing about the sprite fix I don't consider a fix is the removal of the chaingunners recoil scene which shows him move back and fourth a bit from firing.

I kind of liked that too but it was only for one position. If they modified it so all positions did it I wouldn't mind none.

I enjoy doom, it is old and primitive game but I still enjoy it.

I am also too slow when building maps in doombuilder... I think about everything too long and I also spend lot of time just flying around in 3D view admiring my map and deciding what to do next.

Avoozl said:

You mean the CPOSE8/F8 frames? It doesn't even look like recoil. It looks like he's just sliding back and forth without moving a muscle because thanks to lazy sprite offsetting that's exactly what's happening.

And ID did not even bother to fix that in BFG edition... but they had enought of energy for pointless map name and music changes.. (map31,32)

I haven't played Doom for some months now, except I played E3M1 on the 10th, and a little bit of E3M2. Should try to find some time to play it...

Why does it take me ages to finish a single map?

Cell said:

Perhaps for the same reason I'm a slow eater.

Cell said:

In my case, I slow down and look at the level geometry and detail and let it absorb in.

I have never owned a legal copy of Doom 1 or Ultimate Doom until I bought BFG. I'm still using my old warezed IWAD anyway because I don't like the changes BFG brought. Have never owned Final Doom or Master Levels either, and my copy of No Rest for the Living is warezed (moot now, though, of course.)

My Doom 2 IWAD has traveled with me across 4 computers ever since the Doom 2 disc shattered in the drive.

I would love to play a version of PSX Doom that didn't strip down the levels. (Maybe not much of a confession, but...)

Doom 64 is my favourite Doom.

I also can't stand Revenants and Pain Elementals. They're my least favourite monsters. I yell at the wad author (even though I'm really just yelling at my screen) whenever I see a Pain Elemental, because seriously fuck you for putting that thing in there.

I hate Sandy Petersen's Doom 2 maps.

I don't like slaughtermaps and I'm still waiting for an overpowered weapon mod to plow through Deus Vult 1 and 2 with.

Oh, and one last one: I swear CONSTANTLY while playing Doom. Like, it's a never-ending tapestry of filth that borders and sometimes exceeds that of Swearing Friend from Sexy Losers. My trash talk sometimes borders on the incomprehensible and sometimes even I am surprised by the stuff that comes out of my mouth ("FUCK EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT PEARS" is a recent winner.)

Those are a lot of confessions.

dethtoll said:

I yell at the wad author (even though I'm really just yelling at my screen) whenever I see a Pain Elemental, because seriously fuck you for putting that thing in there.

Yeah whenever I see a Pain Elemental it's like seeing a big-ass spider on the wall in my room. It just needs go - NOW.

dethtoll said:

I don't like slaughtermaps and I'm still waiting for an overpowered weapon mod to plow through Deus Vult 1 and 2 with.

Ever tried Russian Overkill? I find it very satisfying to play slaughterWADs with this mod.

You can overpower your weapons in ZDoom, just type into the console:
SV_FASTWEAPONS 2
SV_INFINITEAMMO 1

I made a map with about 15 sectors and 2500 linedefs. Isn't that cool?

I tend to enjoy jokewads (not just crap wads) more than the "legitimate" wads.

dethtoll, I found that Survive in Hell has a few slaughtermaps that aren't that hard to play, mostly thanks to a lot of power-ups. Case in point: I made a UV-Fast run of map 24. But I agree, mods can be fun.

Pain Elementals will always be my least favorites. They just take up so much of my precious fuckin' ammo. Every time I hear that Pain Elemental screech, its like "FUCK..."

ViewtifulJC said:

Pain Elementals will always be my least favorites. They just take up so much of my precious fuckin' ammo. Every time I hear that Pain Elemental screech, its like "FUCK..."

This is why they always get the special BFG 9000 treatment from me.

I just recently started using always run. It's a shame since I started vehemently opposed to it early on, since I started Dooming when I was eight and wasn't able to handle the fast pace of the game like I can now. It makes the game so much easier for the things in Doom that still were hard. Mashing my pinky down on the A key whenever a big fight was going on always made it feel real drawn out and grueling. But now it's a breeze. And nearly every other FPS I've played, I've had auto run on, like TF2, Quake, Counter Strike, etc. Walk is still useful for edging around stuff you don't want to pick up yet, or avoiding traps, or traipsing through those tight rope like parts of Doom.

Doominator2 said:

I hate vores even more.

'vore' = WTF?

From Quake, I assume. Their attacks are similar, though as I recall Vore missiles are a lot sharper on the homing thing than Revenants'.

Platinum Shell said:

I just recently started using always run. It's a shame since I started vehemently opposed to it early on, since I started Dooming when I was eight and wasn't able to handle the fast pace of the game like I can now. It makes the game so much easier for the things in Doom that still were hard.

I wonder if always walk could be a new speed run category. At least with 100% kills so as to make it not too boring.