Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bob Evans

Resources for PWADS

There was a time some 10+ years past when using resources(textures, sprites and sounds) from the Doom games, the Quake Series plus Heretic 1,2 and Hexen 1,2 as well as Strife were legal for mappers to use as far the archive uploads. I am assuming this is still the case. After perusing other sources like Realm667 for some excellent graphics I thought it best to get a better feel for what is "really" legal for archive uploading these days.
Some resources on Realm667 are based from Monolith and 3D Realms among others. These seem very questionable for my usage?
I know there are other texture wads available such as the RETRES and GOTHIC texture wads which can be used with proper credit of course.
So where does the line exist?

The line exists wherever the admins of the website choose to draw it. Usually they're pretty lax about this stuff, because after all the games are getting really old. However, credit seems to be important on most sites, so as long as you don't forget to say that you didn't create the textures, there should be no problem. And don't make money from your wads. (If you figure out how to do this, you'd probably be able to make better money selling refrigerators to Eskimos.)

Modified versions of resources (including maps) from the Doom games are OK to use in pwads that work with that same Doom game. This was sort of clarified at the time of KDIZD.

Using them in other contexts (or content from other games without permission) is indeed dodgy, but there are unlikely to be legal repercussions, and it is unlikely to be excluded from the archive unless it is something really blatant or outrageous. Check with Ty if you want to be sure about some specific point.

It depends on your own qualms more than anything else. If you want to produce a work that is 100% legitimate and not in any technical violation of anything, then you need to work to stricter criteria than if you are simply concerned with what you can "get away with". Even if that is not your primary concern, and you are more focused on "audience reaction", then it's worth bearing in mind there are people in the community who will value a work much higher if it features a greater degree of original content rather than "ripping".

If you really care about this, you'll only use resources that have explicitly been made available by their actual rightholders. This will basically exclude anything from a commercial game except the one you are currently modding, anything based on edits from the former category, and several resources made by community members for exclusive use with their own projects.

By and large, though, people generally do not really care, especially for stuff taken from other games. Like, there are at least two Cacowarded mods full of Powerslave/Exhumed textures.

Grazza said:

It depends on your own qualms more than anything else. If you want to produce a work that is 100% legitimate and not in any technical violation of anything, then you need to work to stricter criteria than if you are simply concerned with what you can "get away with". Even if that is not your primary concern, and you are more focused on "audience reaction", then it's worth bearing in mind there are people in the community who will value a work much higher if it features a greater degree of original content rather than "ripping".

Unfortunately I lack the ability or the time required for creating original graphics content. Just trying to make life easier for Ty.
Thanks.

Gez said:

If you really care about this, you'll only use resources that have explicitly been made available by their actual rightholders. This will basically exclude anything from a commercial game except the one you are currently modding, anything based on edits from the former category, and several resources made by community members for exclusive use with their own projects.

By and large, though, people generally do not really care, especially for stuff taken from other games. Like, there are at least two Cacowarded mods full of Powerslave/Exhumed textures.

Basically I was looking for what was and is acceptable for uploads. Back in the 90's it was very black and white. id, Raven and Rogue gave their OK while the others companies did not. Thanks.

TimeOfDeath said:

Does this mean new Bob Evans maps? *drool*

Do a bear poop in da piney woods? Absolutely. :)

Hehe.

I remember when I was playing through Eternal Doom (back in double 0? Or '99..??), and I was totally stuck in Map 20 - and I had gotten past Map 07, and all the puzzle maps before Map 20.

I was completely, utterly stuck, and I had to seek for help, and back then I think #doomroom was the common Doom chat room.

I saw your name among the usernames in the chat, and it kind of rang a bell... Then it struck me that this was actually the map author of precisely the map I couldn't figure out the puzzles for.

So I asked you for help, and you helped me past the bit I was struggling with. :)

I've told this story to one or two of my DOOM buddies, and I think it's a pretty funny story :D

I never played Odessa, but since your return here recently I've checked out some videos of others playing them on Youtube.

I think you have a very interesting style of mixing puzzles into the gameplay that is pretty unique, and inspiring. :)

Map 20 is one of my favorites from Eternal - I'd easily describe it as adventurous.

Slightly off topic, but; whenever a map like Map 14 came up, where things were kind of "bare boned", I actually felt some relief, because puzzles in a bare boned square room shouldn't be so hard to figure out, hehe

gemini09 said:

Hehe.

I remember when I was playing through Eternal Doom (back in double 0? Or '99..??), and I was totally stuck in Map 20 - and I had gotten past Map 07, and all the puzzle maps before Map 20.

I was completely, utterly stuck, and I had to seek for help, and back then I think #doomroom was the common Doom chat room.

I saw your name among the usernames in the chat, and it kind of rang a bell... Then it struck me that this was actually the map author of precisely the map I couldn't figure out the puzzles for.

So I asked you for help, and you helped me past the bit I was struggling with. :)

I've told this story to one or two of my DOOM buddies, and I think it's a pretty funny story :D

I never played Odessa, but since your return here recently I've checked out some videos of others playing them on Youtube.

I think you have a very interesting style of mixing puzzles into the gameplay that is pretty unique, and inspiring. :)

Map 20 is one of my favorites from Eternal - I'd easily describe it as adventurous.

Slightly off topic, but; whenever a map like Map 14 came up, where things were kind of "bare boned", I actually felt some relief, because puzzles in a bare boned square room shouldn't be so hard to figure out, hehe

After the demise of CompuServe the IRC Doom channels became the only avenue and I was involved in several of them although the names escape me now. We had one IRC specifically setup for Eternal meetings with Ty at the helm.
Back then there were always compromises in levels mainly VisPlanes and
Saved Game File size for me anyway. When either exceeded the limits something always had be deleted or changed drastically which ended up being all the time. :)
Thanks for the info. Glad I could help back then.