Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Man, I'm learning all sorts of things about lighting in Doom today.

This included:

Ribbiks said:

if you set sectors to light values above 255 and then have them glow (sector action 8? iirc) they'll stay fullbright longer the higher the value is. This can be used to create cool lighting effects.

Fish Sandwich said:

On skills 1 and 2, the Doom II boss spawns monsters only half as fast as normal.

*Checks out*
Indeed. Good finding.

LigH said:

Infights among different monster races are not uncommon; but switching the target in the last moment of launching the distant attack, so that "there was not even time to turn around", may be the rare event.

That happened to me in my ultimate doom uv-fast demo on e4m1. It was the first time I'd ever saw it heh.

odysseyofnoises said:

That happened to me in my ultimate doom uv-fast demo on e4m1. It was the first time I'd ever saw it heh.

It's something that only happens to Barons/Knights because their attack function (A_BruisAttack) is the only one that does not call A_FaceTarget.

William Blazkowicz said:

That the cross on the medipacks are replaced with red and white pills on the xbox 360 version.

You talking about the BFG edition? I had it for PS3 and if I remember correctly it had the red pills too.

I wonder why they couldn't just swap the red and white around instead having red medkits with white crosses like in Shadow Warrior.

Did you ever hear of an organization named "Red Cross/Crescent"? That's because the cross used to be red, not the background.

A white cross on red background resembles the Swiss flag.

Several source ports try to avoid that. I know that e.g. Risen3D takes care of this problem. But I have seen their dynamic light sources glowing through walls before that feature was implemented, or when it was disabled for compatibility with the original code.

LigH said:

The one used in Rammstein's "Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen"?

Gotta listen to dat
Indeed. :D

William Blazkowicz said:

And another thing I just found out is that when a Pinky is killed, you can hear a "thud" when it's body hits the ground.

I noticed that too.

Scypek2 said:

WOOO got its own Cacoward category. Yay.

Yeah, that one was funny to see. :D

William Blazkowicz said:

That the cross on the medipacks are replaced with red and white pills on the xbox 360 version.

The XBLA version of Doom II had the pills on the medkits but strangely the XBLA port of Ultimate Doom had the original crosses on their medkits.

FuzzballFox said:

Not strange at all- Doom came first- Doom II was released a little while after.

Nerve Software(the team responsible for the port) Probably thought it was a good idea to change the symbol, but that's just my theory.

LigH said:

Did you ever hear of an organization named "Red Cross/Crescent"? That's because the cross used to be red, not the background.

A white cross on red background resembles the Swiss flag.

Don't wanna mess with the Swiss oooh...

Now I know what I'm going to do if doing a Swiss-themed map. Not likely to happen, just sayin'.

Ah, sorry, one more thing: On the platform with the blue keycard on e1m3 in the area where it turns dark and a door opens with imps, if you step on the platform but don't grab the key, the lights will go off but the door with the imps won't open.

William Blazkowicz said:

Ah, sorry, one more thing: On the platform with the blue keycard on e1m3 in the area where it turns dark and a door opens with imps, if you step on the platform but don't grab the key, the lights will go off but the door with the imps won't open.

There's probably another sector inside the one where the floor is a little higher with its bordering linedefs opening the door.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Arachnid

Rather. I assume both come from the Arach, Arachnid prefixes.