Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amputechture32

Odd teleporter in Mount Erebus

I was playing Mount Erebus today and went into that wooden building on the island northeast of the start point.

Depending upon the difficulty level, there's a demon or a spectre who almost immediately uses an unmarked teleporter in the northwest corner of the room to teleport to the opposite side of the room.

I know that there are certain teleporters that only monsters can use, but what I found odd was that I could use it after a while and it seems I could use it only once. So, I was wondering what's going on there?

They are normal W1 teleport lines.

There's 4 types of teleporter in vanilla
WR - Can be activated any number of times
W1 - Can be activated once only.
And then these 2 again, but can only be activated by monsters.

The demon is surrounded by 2 standard W1s, and can only activate one, so there is one left that can be used by the player.

Ye, sloppy work by the mapper there, he didn't really need 2 lines to surround that pinky.

Memfis said:

Ye, sloppy work by the mapper there, he didn't really need 2 lines to surround that pinky.

Or maybe he is lurking into this very thread and smiling knowingly right now, for he knows that his "sloppy work" would One Day be ascended to one of the Great Mysteries of Doom.

Why did he use normal teleport lines? It would work better with monster only W1 teleport

Sokoro said:

Why did he use normal teleport lines?

So now we can ponder and guess the intricacies of his motivations... I guess...

There was no monster-only teleportation available in Doom at that time. Just like there were no fast doors.

And God knows how much I tried to force a similar accidental teleportation in E4M1 after I saw this in E3M6.

Romero could've easily programmed monster-only teleport lines if he wanted to. I think it's just sloppy mapping.

printz said:

Just like there were no fast doors.

Is that true? I feel like E4 has a few of them doesn't it?

I'm not sure if I know exactly what you're talking about, I don't think I know the map well enough or ever noticed but I'll check it out, but I heard in an interview with Sandy Petersen that Mt. Erebus was his first map ever.

40oz said:

Doom1 (Dec 1993) came first, then Doom2 (Sep 1994), then Ultimate Doom (April 1995) and finally Final Doom (June 1996).

Maes said:

Or maybe he is lurking into this very thread and smiling knowingly right now, for he knows that his "sloppy work" would One Day be ascended to one of the Great Mysteries of Doom.

*Slow Clap.*

40oz said:

E4 didn't exist back then either. It was added in Ultimate Doom when the new line triggers were already coded. Also the switch on the column in E1M1 was added in Ultimate Doom.
If you're interested in historic details, you might try the downgrade and the historic archive with alphas, betas and successive upgrade patches.
But be aware of quite a few show stopping bugs. Saving during moving doors or crushers had some serious bugs, etc.
Mt. Erebus was probably the most buggy map in v1.1. Many objects had no skill level flags set and therefore never appeard. You could be trapped, because some teleporter targets had no easy skill flag set.

You could try some very old versions of DEU to see what triggers existed back then (although their descriptions were not always accurate).

LogicDeLuxe said:

You could try some very old versions of DEU to see what triggers existed back then (although their descriptions were not always accurate).

Or just read section [4-3-2] of the Unofficial Doom Specs. Linedef types marked with an asterisk didn't exist in Doom 1.2 or earlier.