Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
chungy

Reducing the number of download options

Freedoom has a lot of downloads.

In the name of simplification, these should be combined or removed to make things easier. All the resource WADs, for example, are just legacy build system baggage that I'm not even sure anybody still uses.

At a minimum, I'd like to provide the Doom 1 and 2 targets under the same Zip, just named something simple like freedoom-0.8.1.zip. It'd contain doom.wad and doom2.wad. FreeDM can either stay a separate download or just get shoved into the same all-IWADs Zip as the other two; it's a special-purpose IWAD, so I'm undecided on this, I'm leaning towards keeping it a separate download.

Most (or all?) the resource WADs can probably go. I believe the only one of real value is freedoom-levels, which allows people to play the levels but under Doom itself. Still, it only contains the levels for doom2.wad, so that would need changing.

All SGTM.

We can't even distribute the levels independently because some use textures that are unique to Freedoom.

I would cheerfully dump the resource wads. As I recall, the textures wad breaks some engines, as some of the TNT textures use sprites as wall patches, but deutex doesn't pull in the sprites so you get missing patch errors. Furthermore, the levels wad and the combined resources wad only include MAP**, not E*M*. I'm not sure if that's a deutex limitation or a flaw in the #defines in buildcfg.txt, but I don't think it's worth caring about. I think they should just be dropped.

I would go for the following:
* Normal complete IWADs: FreeDoom 2, The Ultimate FreeDoom, etc.
* WAD containing just the levels.
* WAD containing just graphical resources (sprites, textures, etc.).
* WAD containing just sounds.

However, personally for me I am more Vanilla-ish when it comes to FreeDoom. That is, I would only have IWADs which are 1:1 compatible with the original release (although with free levels and resources, but no extra textures or level features).

Single pack with doom.wad, doom2.wad, and freedm.wad.

Anything else is pointless. If you want to get just the levels or just the sounds or what have you, get SLADE 3.

Single Zip is implemented.

I think this is the best option, but probably not everyone agrees. There is some time before the next release, so if there's enough objections I'll change it at most to splitting FreeDM into an independent file; the resource PWADs are going to stay gone.