Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Knee-Deep In the Jungle

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d4f78bb0fl2pzjz/kdij.zip

My attempt at making a jungle map and seeing how much absurd levels of decorative actors Zdoom can handle before lagging. This map features tons of decorative actors and very wide areas to explore. All trees and most plans can be exploded Michael Bay-style.
Runs on Zdoom, GZDoom, or Zandronum. Jumping is required to finish this level.

Screenshots:
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3196/r02g.jpg
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2456/jx4c.jpg

Damn, I read that title singing :P

I saw those screenshots, amazing work, but it runs slow as hell on my computer, so that's all I can say :/

Try running on Zdoom, or using Zandronum's Software render, and as a last resort, try reducing your resolution to the lowest as possible, such as 640x320 or 320x200.

The title made me think of the Gunz N' Roses song "Welcome to the Jungle". :P

Those shots do look really nice.

This was really cool. My only gripe is the insane volume of the waterfalls in the final area. Speaking of the water falls, they were the coolest effect

I really enjoyed this map. Definitely feels like some lost jungle outpost or something. Great use of ZDoom features good fights etc and I even got to use the chainsaw to chop down some trees! (Although, I was disappointed not to get a secret credit after sawing my way through the trees, finding the tunnel and getting to the soul sphere.)

I played using GZDoom. I was aware of a slight drop in frame rate in a few places but nothing problematic; certainly nothing that got in the way of me being able to play.

Fun stuff. I'll definitely play it again.

Very nice map, and good looking, too. After getting killed twice (once by being cornered at the yellow key in the blood pool cavern, the other by being reckless), I beat the level at my third attempt, playing it with Brutal DooM v.19 at the Full Ultra Violence setting.

The level is fairly difficult. A careless player could easily run out of ammo or get killed by not paying enough attention at one's surroundings with the visibility being reduced from all the flora. I find such things really enjoyable, so, good work.

I played it with "fraps" in the background and the only noticeable stuttering were caused by sawing the demons (10 frames per second for a brief moment), and not the map. Obviously, this would depend on one's hardware.

The red door seems to be openable only once from the outside, and since I play pretty defensively, I backed out and couldn't get back in.

Amazing!

Never thought this could be done in Doom, would have thought the idea of a jungle theme in Doom would just turn out crappy....you certainly proved different....sweet!

Realm of Cheogsh did jungle much better, if only by virtue of having a pretty convincing jungle texture on the level borders, instead of just a small set of tree sprites scarcely scattered on them. This doesn't feel like a forested area in the slightest.

The underwater, swimmable sectors do not have a lighting effect (or color fade) and as such look entirely like normal sectors when you're submerged in them.

RastaManGames said:

1) Red Door uses only ones. I can't open red door many times.
http://imagestun.com/hosting/?v=screenmcm.png

2)Hall Of Mirror effect in soulsphere secret.
http://imagestun.com/hosting/?v=screenawa.png

Thanks for reporting it. I will get it fixed.

everamzah said:

The underwater, swimmable sectors do not have a lighting effect (or color fade) and as such look entirely like normal sectors when you're submerged in them.

I was trying to add color fade, but I noticed that it's impossible to do inside a 3D floor, so, I will add a sector color.

joe-ilya said:

This keeps on crashing on GZdoom.

Try Zdoom or Zandronum Software mode.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Credits?

In the text file.

Urrrrrgh.

Isn't there like a little message that pops up if you try to bump an old thread? Anyway, I'd recommend sending Sarge a PM asking him as opposed to bumping threads that have been dead for 18 months.

LanHikariDS said:

This looks really nice! I'm defiantly playing this with my friends later

Why are you so defiant? Are your friends not fans of Sgt Mark IV?