Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gruntkiller4000

The Official 'Trying to Find a Specific WAD' Thread

There was this wad which was said to be made in inspiration of Tomb Raider, I recall the starting area had a temple entrance outside surrounded by foliage and you started with dual version of the vanilla Doom handgun, I think I did download it once but I forgot the name of the wad and can't find it among my large collection of Doom wads. I really would like to know the name of it so I can find it again.

I found a wad a few years ago on the /idgames archive that I remember laughing at with some Doomers here that I want to find again. It was either 30 levels or 32 levels, but it wasn't located in the Doom or Doom 2 megawads sections.

I can't remember whether it was for Doom 1 or Doom 2, but I'm leaning more towards Doom 2 because I remember the maps being exceptionally terrible, and probably having SS Nazi's and Commander Keens in them. It was released some time in the early 90's I believe, and the text file was not written in the traditional idgames text file format, I remember it either having ASCII art in it, OR being very short and sloppily written, perhaps by non-native english speakers, or both.

I don't remember the title but I think it was "something star" or "dark star" or the name of a star or something along those lines. Not entirely sure though.

I didn't play through the entire thing, much less complete any one map. But having looked through most of the maps in an editor, many of the maps were awfully HUGE, completely orthogonal, and horribly mazey and loaded with tons of big monsters with rarely enough ammo or weapons to kill them. The maps themselves often had a lot of ugly texture choices, virtually no attempt to align them, and tons of HOMs. I even remember one map in the 20's where almost ALL of the ceilings were crushers. Don't know if that will help.

Things I'm 100% sure about :

-It was either 30 or 32 maps.
-The text file was not written in the traditional /idgames template.
-it's older than 1999.
-maps were huge and orthogonal.

The other details may not be completely accurate, just added from faulty memory.

Sounds a lot like this:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/d-f/dkshrine.zip

or this:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/megawads/playmstr.zip

Which is in the megawads section now, but wasn't a few years ago.

Edit: It sounds like this too though it's in the megawads section:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/megawads/jow.zip

Thank you! I was able to get some of the files I didn't have from archive.org. DWS probably won't be back, so I'm working on building my own archive.

I archived most of DWS (apart from their /idgames mirror) a couple of years back, and Jive's wads before he wiped them, so should be able to help you with much of what was there.

Mad Butcher said:

I'm also looking for the updated version of Spider.wad by Andreas Lange that was only available at his website.

I've got that one. I'll email it to you.

Is it (contrarily to the version on idgames) under some sort of "cannot redistribute" clause that prevents you from putting it on a publicly-accessible place?

I rarely ask to find wads but now is the time that I really should. I keep searching but I cannot find Jwango15 or Jwango13. The only search that showed up was Sir Robin's page whom I have contacted but haven't got a reply from in two weeks. If anyone has this, I'll be very grateful as that will also help to recover a wad that is long lost. I also found a doom world post of someone requesting that and MSA (now Omega DM) which I also can't find as the other Omega DM is obtainable. Sir Robin's page: http://www.doomworld.com/sir_robin/castle/reviews/j.html I didn't realise he stopped maintaining it until I came across the review in my search.

Try contacting the author through his YouTube channel. For all I know, after four years the map might still be unfinished.

GreyGhost said:

Try contacting the author through his YouTube channel. For all I know, after four years the map might still be unfinished.

He's not answering me, so no other suggestions?

I remember a wad with a pink sky with some stars and there was this metal structure out in the open, I can't remember what the wad was called.

joe-ilya said:

He's not answering me, so no other suggestions?

In the comments for that video he mentions using Steam for instant messaging, try there. With any luck he'll have the same username, otherwise check out the Doom-related groups.

Trying to remember a single level. It was a huge UAC base, set on Earth, lots of brown, several ZDoom features, some realistic details like a car park full of vehicles. Relatively recent.

I've been looking for it for like 1 hour, and i can't believe the hard time I'm having trying to find it... I am looking for the very first Star Wars Doom TC, it was 3 big maps (back then) replacing E1M1 E1M2 and E1M3, featured full sprite and sound replacement... but no dehacked or wall textures at all. I am not looking for Chibi, Darkest hour, or the thing currently using the swdoom.zip name in the archives.

A short vid is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHG3eE5NF0g

Thanks in advance!

Thanks! now I'm on track... Yes this is the thing, but the version I'm finding everywhere already is a revision, and has some Dark Forces sprites for the weapons plus it's all merged in a single wad... I remember using DEUSF :P

EDIT: It also has almost two whole chapters of E1/E2-style levels, WTF?!

I have one which might fit the bill, which was probably excluded from the archive for containing IWAD resources. It's a 3 wad set (swgrfx.wad, swlev.wad & swsound.wad) that was distributed as DOOMSW.ZIP around October 1994. Don't have a text file so can't say who compiled them.