Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomgargoyle

Doom classic ios

doomgargoyle said:

Anyone noticed that the current release for Doom classic on ios https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doom-classic/id336347946?mt=8 is 2.7, but on id software's github https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-iOS, the most recent release is 2.1? As per the GPL license on doom classic, they should make the source code for 2.7 available and they havent right?

Big shock huh. I had to keep after them to get them to release the last one they did. They were out of compliance with the license and technically lost any right to further use the code as soon as they did a binary release under GPLv2 without releasing the source code at the same time.

That license sounds pretty scary. Make one mistake and you lose the right to use your own work forever? o,o

Quasar said:

Big shock huh. I had to keep after them to get them to release the last one they did. They were out of compliance with the license and technically lost any right to further use the code as soon as they did a binary release under GPLv2 without releasing the source code at the same time.

Can you ask them to kindly put the source to 2.7 on the github? They have to. They probably just forgot.

Memfis said:

That license sounds pretty scary. Make one mistake and you lose the right to use your own work forever? o,o

Yeah. GPLv3 fixes it by not having the license auto-terminate. This is one reason id started using GPLv3 for releases after that.

BTW I contacted Carmack himself, whose response at the time was that they were working on the source release and that it had already taken longer than he personally intended for it to take.

He didn't seem to be aware of the auto-termination clause but also didn't have anything to say about it (the way I phrased my email was as a heads-up kind of thing, not like a "release this or else" - in fact I went waaaay out of my way to say that nobody in the community wanted to see something bad happen that would jeopardize future code releases). I can only assume he took the information I gave him to the Bethesda lawyers though, resulting in the GPLv3 change which I suggested.

That id is out of compliance *again* probably has SOMETHING to do with the recent staff changes, if you know what I mean. I don't think the people working there now probably even KNOW they're supposed to be releasing that code.

Maybe try ttimo since he's in charge of the code releases. If he still works there.

ttimo left id unfortunately. Who can be contacted ? Maybe nowadays they contract out any bug-fixing work on the ios releases to a company in india.

doomgargoyle said:

ttimo left id unfortunately. Who can be contacted ? Maybe nowadays they contract out any bug-fixing work on the ios releases to a company in india.

No clue.

I've let people know that our GitHub is out of date. Will let you know when I hear something new back.

sponge said:

I've let people know that our GitHub is out of date. Will let you know when I hear something new back.

Great to know, sponge, that means there'll be updates soon!

sponge said:

Great! We appreciate it.

Well… Can't one just report to iTunes/Apple that a GPL program is out there, and it doesn't even comply to GPL? But don't be dicks please; then we'll have no Wolf on iOS out there, and someone from id will come out to bludgeon you for that.

printz said:

Well… Can't one just report to iTunes/Apple that a GPL program is out there, and it doesn't even comply to GPL? But don't be dicks please; then we'll have no Wolf on iOS out there, and someone from id will come out to bludgeon you for that.

It's being looked into, there's no reason to even be saying things like that.

The README file is the one from 2.1, and there's a readme_iDoom.txt file which is from the wolf3d release notes. That's great attention and care given to this source release.

doomgargoyle said:

The README file is the one from 2.1, and there's a readme_iDoom.txt file which is from the wolf3d release notes. That's great attention and care given to this source release.

Well, at least we have it now! README.txt says its for v3.0. But the latest iOS update for DOOM Classic is v2.7. Hmmm... does that mean we have another update incoming?

Looks like everyone already caught that the GitHub is up.

bradharding said:

Well, at least we have it now! README.txt says its for v3.0. But the latest iOS update for DOOM Classic is v2.7. Hmmm... does that mean we have another update incoming?

Doubt it. I think this was just to fix it on newer iOS. There's no active development going on w/ it atm.

sponge said:

Looks like everyone already caught that the GitHub is up.

Doubt it. I think this was just to fix it on newer iOS. There's no active development going on w/ it atm.

That sucks. Carmack used to be very enthusiastic about iOS, promising lots of stuff for it. Much like he's enthusiastic about his VR glasses now.

doomgargoyle said:

That sucks. Carmack used to be very enthusiastic about iOS, promising lots of stuff for it. Much like he's enthusiastic about his VR glasses now.

Probably hard to be too continually enthusiastic about a platform where gaming is niche at best unless you're "Angry Birds", and the overlords are unfriendly to open development and freedom of innovation.

Quasar said:

Probably hard to be too continually enthusiastic about a platform where gaming is niche at best unless you're "Angry Birds", and the overlords are unfriendly to open development and freedom of innovation.

Well, I agree to the innovation part, but id has been niche at best on mainstream platform gaming too for years now. They´re not exactly Call of Duty. And also Carmack himself said being on ios was profitable.

doomgargoyle said:

That sucks. Carmack used to be very enthusiastic about iOS

Maybe he was because it reminded him of the Doom days. Or rather Romero was biggest the NEXTSTEP fan?

printz said:

Maybe he was because it reminded him of the Doom days. Or rather Romero was biggest the NEXTSTEP fan?

No, Carmack had/has absolutely no longing for begone eras, unlike Romero, who's nothing but a has-been. He was just amazingly enthusiastic about ios back in '09, when wolf3d and doom classic were released. In the thread were he himself posted here on doomworld he mentioned that lots of things were coming for ios, promises that didn't materialize. I think that after Rage bombed, he lost interest in ios, and focused on AAA titles, until he left id.