Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
djvero

Icon of sin in different level

Hello,

is it possible to have the Icon Of Sin working in a different level? I wanted to have the IOS in map17 for example, but when I build it it doesn't "wake up", it only does so when I build it in map30.

Thanks in advance

It should be waking up, you're doing something wrong. However, note that on maps other than map30 the monsters can't telefrag each other, so most likely you will get ugly piles of monsters stuck in each other (see Jenesis map28).

That's weird, coz when I copy-paste everything to map30 it does wake up whereas in map17 it doesn't...

Maybe when you're copy-pasting the difficulty flags get erased for some reason and so the thing simply doesn't appear on the map?
Can you post that map perhaps?

Well, it's part of a megaWAD I'm working on, but when I copy-paste it to MAP17 in a newly named WAD (test for example) for you to take a look at it it somehow works. However, in the megaWAD it doesn't, weird ???

Instead of copy-pasting stuff into a new map, open the WAD in your favorite lump editor and change the level lump to MAP17 instead of MAP30. That should ensure nothing changes in the map.

Lump editor?

Anyway, it's not like I want to copy-paste everything to a different level, I just did that to try and see if what I built in Map17 worked on Map30. And then I came to the conclusion it worked on Map30, but NOT on map17, in which I initially built the Icon of Sin structure.

djvero said:
Lump editor?

Like SLADE or XWE.

Keep in mind the boss consists of the Romero head plus the spots where the launched monsters will spawn, not just one item.

Three different things, actually:

The Romero head on a stick is the weak point, the thing that can be damaged and destroyed to end the level. But it has no other function.

The spawn cubes are shot by an invisible thing (which is what sees the player and says the ominous-sounding backward voice clip). And finally, there are the spawn cube targets.

If you forget to place the boss shooter, then it will never "wake up".

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Final_boss

On a side note, it's possible to have a working Icon in Boom on any level if you use scrolling floors, therefore preventing stuck monsters.

Gez said:

Three different things, actually:

The Romero head on a stick is the weak point, the thing that can be damaged and destroyed to end the level. But it has no other function.

The spawn cubes are shot by an invisible thing (which is what sees the player and says the ominous-sounding backward voice clip). And finally, there are the spawn cube targets.

If you forget to place the boss shooter, then it will never "wake up".

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Final_boss

Yea I know. I studied Map30 (doom2.wad) thoroughly, but it still doesn't wake up in my megaWAD. I can kill it - meaning I can shoot the Romero head so that it screams - but it doesn't wake up and spawn any monsters. The strange thing is that it does work when I copy-paste the whole thing to any newly named WAD

All I can say is that if you don't hear the backward speech and monsters are being spawned, you are missing the boss shooter thing -- or placing it somewhere it cannot see the player.

No that's not it, because it does work when I open up a new map and copy-paste it to there. It just doesn't work in my megaWAD...

OK I figured it out!! I added some new monsters to my WAD and one of them, the Archon Of Hell, is listed in the DECORATE file as "ACTOR ArchonOfHell : BaronOfHell". So it probably conflicts with the baron of hell because when I remove the Archon the Icon wakes up and starts spawning monsters.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help though

That shouldn't be the reason, actually. But it's excessively hard to diagnose the real issue just from what you've said. It'd be better if you uploaded your stuff somewhere so that people can take a look and find out the actual problem.

Yea well I'm not too keen on posting unfinished work. Not that anybody would copy or steal my junk, but still lol.

Besides, my problem seems to be fixed now. What I could do however, is to copy my material to a new WAD, call it "test" and then upload it for you to take a look at.