Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Bob Evans and the Odessa series

Yeah, I know about Sverre. His maps (which I found on a shovelware disc) were the reason I set out looking for custom levels, hence ending up here, I had my fanboy moment at his return already.

I wish Jim Flynn would return too, but I hear it's rather unlikely..

Sorry for the little bump.

@Bob: Are you planning to upload them to idgames, or are you just going to post them in here? Just asking so the interested people (like me) stop bumping this thread unnecessarily (like I just did).

Zed said:

Sorry for the little bump.

@Bob: Are you planning to upload them to idgames, or are you just going to post them in here? Just asking so the interested people (like me) stop bumping this thread unnecessarily (like I just did).

At the present I only have 4 of the 9 levels. They will be uploaded to the idgames archives but I was hoping to have all 9 first.

fraggle said:

Glad to hear you've found some of them, at least - that's great news. I hope you find the rest!

Well, Lady Luck was smiling today. I found the CD with the entire
contents from the CompuServe Doom Action Forums which I downloaded in January, 2000 just a few days prior to the forum closing.
All of Jim Flynn's, Sverre's, Alex Mayberry's and the other fellow Doom Mappers' levels from the start of the CIS Doom editing revolution are most likely there. Some files probably go back to early 1994.
Zdoom122.Zip Date 13 December, 1999 was there. :)
Directories include Heretic/Hexen, Doom 1 Levels, Doom 2 levels (2), DoomDM Levels, Doom Utilities and Doom Misc. The original time stamps from the date they were originally uploaded are intact.
The CD I had in a double jewel case along with my Windows 95 CD probably there because I didn't think I would ever use either again.

Forgot to mention there are probably close to 2.500-3000 files.
Correction: make that 3,633 files.

Gez said:

You really should upload the ISO somewhere. :)

I thought about that but where? :)
Hmm. there may be some files in there that won't allow distribution.

That's fantastic news! I might be able to find Jwango15 and maybe jwango13 even, I suppose this will also contain the rest of the Odessa series? For an upload site I would probably suggest Media fire.

I just found IPMA01.ZIP uploaded by American McGee
28 November, 1994. :)
Quote from text file "Additional Credits to : John Romero for dying so well during testing"

Bob Evans said:

I just found IPMA01.ZIP uploaded by American McGee
28 November, 1994. :)
Quote from text file "Additional Credits to : John Romero for dying so well during testing"

Yep, it's Heretic's E6M3 if I remember correctly. Quite a good DM level, I believe I got mine from the official id games mirror.

Springy said:

That's fantastic news! I might be able to find Jwango15 and maybe jwango13 even, I suppose this will also contain the rest of the Odessa series? For an upload site I would probably suggest Media fire.

I just looked. Sorry to say Jwango15 and Jwango13 aren't among the files.
The entire directory weighs in at 575 MB.

Bob Evans said:

Hmm. there may be some files in there that won't allow distribution.

Please. They obviously allowed to be distributed, otherwise they wouldn't have been uploaded to Compuserve in the first place.

Gez said:

Please. They obviously allowed to be distributed, otherwise they wouldn't have been uploaded to Compuserve in the first place.

Can you suggest somewhere to upload it. Mediafire doesn't look to be
too permanent?

Bob Evans said:

contents from the CompuServe Doom Action Forums which I downloaded in January, 2000 just a few days prior to the forum closing.

O_O Oh Emm Gee

I would love to get a copy of that! I used to be active-ish on the Compuserve Action Games Forum "back in the day" (it was the place for Doom add ons in '94/'95 and it was also where I uploaded some of my early maps). If that archive is complete, it will contain some rarities from various authors that were thought to be lost for all time.

Theres a Jim Flynn map listed on some of his wad text files thats missing from the idgames archive, I wonder if its in there..

Ragnor said:

Theres a Jim Flynn map listed on some of his wad text files thats missing from the idgames archive, I wonder if its in there..

anomaly, enigma, farside, intzone, mines, oracle, and trouble plus all of Jim's utilities are there.

Enjay said:

O_O Oh Emm Gee

I would love to get a copy of that! I used to be active-ish on the Compuserve Action Games Forum "back in the day" (it was the place for Doom add ons in '94/'95 and it was also where I uploaded some of my early maps). If that archive is complete, it will contain some rarities from various authors that were thought to be lost for all time.

It should be complete from Doom's inception on CIS. I am working on getting the entire CD uploaded where anyone can access it.

Bob Evans said:

anomaly, enigma, farside, intzone, mines, oracle, and trouble plus all of Jim's utilities are there.

I have all those. I guess it must be lost to the ages? Its not part of his Titan series, or in Enigma.

EDIT: Its called "Surrounded", mentioned in Oracle's text file, under the maps which would later become the Enigma Episode (Specifically credited to Flynn, not Harper)

EDIT2: Oh hey, I found it. http://doomedsda.us/wad1953.html Went "Ah, fuck it, I'll google it just in case" and it actually turned up O_o
And now I have every Jim Flynn map.

Ragnor said:

I have all those. I guess it must be lost to the ages? Its not part of his Titan series, or in Enigma.

EDIT: Its called "Surrounded", mentioned in Oracle's text file, under the maps which would later become the Enigma Episode (Specifically credited to Flynn, not Harper)

EDIT2: Oh hey, I found it. http://doomedsda.us/wad1953.html Went "Ah, fuck it, I'll google it just in case" and it actually turned up O_o

I forgot Jim made quite a Doom 1 maps including:
DMTWR.ZIP, DMWHEE.ZIP, DMCITI.ZIP, DMWACK.ZIP, DMUPDN.ZIP,
DMGLCH.ZIP, DMPEAN.ZIP, DMRING.ZIP, DMMTDM.ZIP, DMSRND.ZIP

Ragnor said:

It was in the archives, albeit uploaded in '05.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom/d-f/dmsrnd.zip

I just woke up with a terrible hangover, and I read this, which will be enough cure for it. Now if you excuse me, I'm going for a beer.

Bob Evans said:

This is awesome news. Thank you!

Please put it on archive.org - it's certainly the best place for this kind of collection!

fraggle said:

Please put it on archive.org - it's certainly the best place for this kind of collection!

Thirded, fourthed, or whatever the number may now be. I'd heard rumours that someone had backed-up the CIS Doom archive but never expected to see it.

kmxexii said:

You knew about it? I didnt see a review for it on your site, so I assumed you didnt know about it either :p

OT; Jim Flynn levels are some of my favourite ones, Enigma was practically a full megawad with how long it took me to finish. Looks like I need to try your levels, Bob, as their always put in the same tier as Flynn's ones. One day I'll finish Eternal Doom, one day.

Ragnor said:

You knew about it? I didnt see a review for it on your site, so I assumed you didnt know about it either :p

OT; Jim Flynn levels are some of my favourite ones, Enigma was practically a full megawad with how long it took me to finish. Looks like I need to try your levels, Bob, as their always put in the same tier as Flynn's ones. One day I'll finish Eternal Doom, one day.

http://onemandoom.blogspot.com/2011/09/surrounded-surroundwad.html

It's been up since late 2011! You could have found it in the Ultimate Doom index, the author index under Jim Flynn's name, or in the "Additional Works" table near the top of the Master Levels for Doom II article. Or use either of the search tools, either near the top of the page or on the right hand side toward the bottom.

Just how hard did you look for it? :P