Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little Faith

Linkin Park: A boyband with guitars.

Linkin Park: A boyband wih guitars!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Linkin Park: A boyband wih guitars!

• A boyband with guitars? What a swell idea.
    • A boyband with guitars! The horror!!!
    • That is no boyband, mister!
    • That\'s not real guitars, my little friend!

What happened to my Linkin Park flame thread scheme?

Ok, lets try again, shall we.

Tell me your opinions about this new phenomenon.

linkin park, huh. saw em once when they were starting to airplay. all I heard from people is that they were awesome and heavy. when they hit the stage and started I wanted to kill myself. pussy pop-rock bullshit.

They are truly awful. The end.

There aren't many things the majority of DWers agree on, but I know this is one of them.

I am totally, completely, amazingly baffled as to how people can actually like that horrible, utter shit.

I honestly fail to care about Linkin Park. I try to avoid vastly commercialized shit. When was the last time you saw a Bad Religion video on MTV or heard Flogging Molly on the radio?

Eh, I dunno, I've never heard them, but I heard from a friend who I generally trust on music (he only spends his life listening to and studying and making music) that Linkin Park was actually rather unique and worth a few listens, barring some commercial elements. So, I'll find out one of these days.

"In the End" ain't bad in my opinion. Got some nice tunes and lyrics in it.

Lüt said:

Eh, I dunno, I've never heard them, but I heard from a friend who I generally trust on music (he only spends his life listening to and studying and making music) that Linkin Park was actually rather unique and worth a few listens, barring some commercial elements.

Yeah, the music might not be that bad, but the fact that they smacked it with god-awful crowd-pleasing lyrics makes the song utterly worthless.

Rock opinion time...
I admit i was sceptical about LP first time round - especially with Mike Sinoda yapping on in the background like a hyperactive puppy. However, they actually write their own lyrics and music *shock horror* and have some fairly decent tunes in their repetoire, ranging from songs of regret (Pushing me Away), anger (One Step Closer) and pain (the obvious Crawling).
Yes, teenage girls may wave their knickers in anguish while attending their summer festival appearances, but in my book, Linkin Park get a good thumbs up - their talent has been tainted by the old-old story of book judging via the medium of the cover.

Good words mister. I may have judged them incorrectly due to the fact that I have only heard one of their songs.

It is just that when I first came to like new breed it was songs like Deftones' Engine #9, System of a Down's War? and the first Korn album that got me hooked. They possessed an aggression I had not heard in other kinds of metal before.

But now most new breed has mellowed out so much that you can hardly call it metal, and i'n not just speaking of Linkin Park. When I hear the old stuff it's compulsory headbanging! When I hear the newer stuff like Linkin Park, Alien Ant Farm, P.O.D and friends it's just, er meh.

I'm desillusioned. What I thought should become a revoltion in metal became a pop revolution instead...

...So now i'm back at listening to age-old industrial.

Hey, industrial is my favourite genre - NIN being the best band out there IMO. But, i can unshamedly say that i own a copy of LP's Hybrid Theory :)

Nine Inch Nails is NOT industrial.

That was not a negative criticism of Nine Inch Nails. Just a clarification of the (often misunderstood) industrial genre.

Go get: KMFDM, :WUMPSCUT:, Front 224 or Leæther Strip. See, that's real industrial my friend.

From my standing, industrial covers some of my favourite bands.
I'll always see NIN as industrial, i'm afraid. The same goes for Rammstein, Static-X, even Marilyn Manson.

I'd say that NIN has moved away from the industrial scene since 'The Downward Spiral', as 'The Fragile' seems to focus more on guitars than synths. However, the next album is reported to return to the more electronic feel of previous albums, so maybe you'll change your opinion :) After all, KMFDM are big fans of, and are influenced by, NIN.

Linkin' Park is not that bad a band. I have a copy of Hybrid Theory and I listen to it constantly. I like the music to all the songs, but the lyrics to some of them get redundant (One Step Closer).

Spike said:

From my standing, industrial covers some of my favourite bands.
I'll always see NIN as industrial, i'm afraid. The same goes for Rammstein, Static-X, even Marilyn Manson.

I'd say that NIN has moved away from the industrial scene since 'The Downward Spiral', as 'The Fragile' seems to focus more on guitars than synths. However, the next album is reported to return to the more electronic feel of previous albums, so maybe you'll change your opinion :) After all, KMFDM are big fans of, and are influenced by, NIN.

Well, let me elaborate:

Nine Inch Nails is one of those bands that defies all genres.

Nine Inch Nails' first album "Pretty Hate Machine" was synth-pop with a "bite". (I still love "Head Like a Hole" and "Sin"). The album is kinda weird because it sounds like it belongs both to the 80's and the 90's.

Nine Inch Nails' second album "Broken" was the most "industrial" of them all. It belongs to a genre known as "industrial rock". (A genre some people say only exists so we have a place to put NIN). I would, however, dare to say that this album is more rock than industrial. But yet the bonus track ("Suck") is true industrial.

Nine Inch Nails' third album the legendary "Downward Spiral" are in my opinion impossible to label as being any genre. Here a few industrialesque elements synthesise with weird electronic funk draped in guitars that, though they are horribly distorted, are nothing like metal.

With "The Fragile" Nine Inch Nails finally proved that they were not industrial at all, making a record that critics have described as being closest to Pink Floyd.

For a clarification of what the industrial genre (and it's subgenres) is I would recommend anyone interested to pay Industrial.org a visit. They have some excellent faq's that will answer most of your questions.

The site also caters for the musician with their Gear Fetish pages as well as some really beefy faq's.

Now, let's get on with the Linkin Park flame thread, shall we?