Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

William Blazkowicz said:

Ah, sorry, one more thing: On the platform with the blue keycard on e1m3 in the area where it turns dark and a door opens with imps, if you step on the platform but don't grab the key, the lights will go off but the door with the imps won't open.

MFG38 said:

There's probably another sector inside the one where the floor is a little higher with its bordering linedefs opening the door.

CONFIRMED:

Good spot. I never really thought about this.

While working on a SIMD version of Fraggle's scaler a stray pixel caught my eye on DoomII's main screen...

...demonic armpit sweat?

_bruce_ said:

demonic armpit sweat?

Doubtful, it's just as you said a stray pixel which I guess the artist must've missed.

Doominator2 said:

The XBLA version of Doom II had the pills on the medkits but strangely the XBLA port of Ultimate Doom had the original crosses on their medkits.

Doom was released much MUCH earlier than Doom 2, and when Activision still had the Doom license. Doom 2 was released after Bethesda ate id.

schwerpunk said:

Good spot. I never really thought about this.

A better solution (in case someone is making a map where a line is supposed to do two actions) is to split the lines in sections less than 56 units, and make every other line do the actions, so they both happen simultaneously.

But then make sure that the player has to pass both and won't catch only one of the half.

That it is faster to use secret exit on map15 and go through map31 than to exit map15 normaly.

Sokoro said:

That it is faster to use secret exit on map15 and go through map31 than to exit map15 normaly.

Rather to the confession thread, but I've discovered the secret exit earlier than the normal. Stupidly hidden blue keycard.

I just re-played Plutonia in the spirits of the Midi project. I've encountered a few things about it, these:
1. Dario and Milo loved to use STEPLAD excessively. I can barely tell one or two maps without it.
2. The beginning of NME (MAP19) strangely reminds me of the beginning of E2M1 from Ultimate Doom.

The Archvile's six-frame walking animation only really has three frames. id used the lump naming conventions normally used to mirror sprites facing east and west relative to the camera to instead mirror those first three frames for the final three. Clever.

Guest Unregistered account
Cell said:

The beginning of NME (MAP19) strangely reminds me of the beginning of E2M1 from Ultimate Doom.

You're not the only one - many Doomers who play the Plutonia Experiment have noticed this. If you watch AltimaMantoid's runthrough of it, you'll see he comments on it too.

Pink demons grow veins on their necks when they bite. This can only be seen on their side sprites.

Chances are they reused part of E2M1 just like they used part of MAP01 from Doom 2 in the 32nd map of Plutonia.

Sokoro said:

It's funny because it's (very likely) not true.

From E1M1 to E1M4 there are many dead-player corpses all over the ground but as far as I've seen there are no corpes in ther rest of the episode, perhaps Romero forgot to put them over the maps or maybe this fact means that supposedly the other doom guys weren't able to reach the upper levels.

nicolas monti said:

From E1M1 to E1M4 there are many dead-player corpses all over the ground but as far as I've seen there are no corpes in ther rest of the episode, perhaps Romero forgot to put them over the maps or maybe this fact means that supposedly the other doom guys weren't able to reach the upper levels.

Wow, that's a good one. I must check it out.

nicolas monti said:

Most likely the latter I guess.

Interesting observation - the player corpses, rotting in the early installations, are a cool way to use a common theme which is so subtly implemented that each player's subconscious could create the perfect drama.

Playing the ultimate doom under prboom on comp level 2 removes episode 4. You can't use the warp command to go to episode 4 either. The only way is to save on e4m1 and loading under comp level 2

Fellowzdoomer said:

Playing the ultimate doom under prboom on comp level 2 removes episode 4. You can't use the warp command to go to episode 4 either. The only way is to save on e4m1 and loading under comp level 2

Makes sense. I guess you won't be able to finish (without cheating) your CL2E4 playthrough once you reach E4M6, though...

Fellowzdoomer said:

Playing the ultimate doom under prboom on comp level 2 removes episode 4. You can't use the warp command to go to episode 4 either.

Right. Complevel 2 is Doom 2, which indeed does not recognise Episode 4 if you run the Ultimate Doom IWAD on it, as Ultimate Doom didn't exist back then. Ultimate Doom is complevel 3.

Fellowzdoomer said:

The only way is to save on e4m1 and loading under comp level 2

Does that actually work? I thought loading saved games in PrBoom forces whatever complevel was in use when the game was saved.

When you start a new game and Doomguy hasn't fully raised his pistol yet, and hit escape to go into menu, wait a short moment.. Doomguy makes the angry face.

Jimi said:

When you start a new game and Doomguy hasn't fully raised his pistol yet, and hit escape to go into menu, wait a short moment.. Doomguy makes the angry face.

Confirmed in Chocolate Doom:

Cool piece of trivia. It doesn't seem to trigger when replicated by switches from fists back to pistol - only when first starting. Any idea what causes this?

EDIT: doesn't trigger in ZDoom.

schwerpunk said:

Cool piece of trivia. It doesn't seem to trigger when replicated by switches from fists back to pistol - only when first starting. Any idea what causes this?

It's this line in G_PlayerReborn():

p->usedown = p->attackdown = true;	// don't do anything immediately
When a player is spawned or respawned, this code causes the game to treat them as if they are already holding down the use and fire buttons. The comment seems to indicate that this is supposed to prevent players who respawn while actually holding down the use or fire buttons from performing those actions immediately, but this doesn't seem to actually work.

In any case, since the game thinks you've pressed the fire button, Doomguy will make his rampage face after a short delay if your weapon isn't ready to fire by then (the rampage face only goes away when your weapon returns to its ready-to-fire state, not when you release the fire button - this is most noticeable when firing the SSG twice in a row, where Doomguy will briefly make the rampage face during the reload cycle after the second shot, even if you've already released the fire button).

schwerpunk said:

EDIT: doesn't trigger in ZDoom.

ZDoom changed the status bar face code so that the rampage face goes away as soon as the fire button is released, regardless of what state your weapon is in.