Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

AGDQ 2014: Doomguy Will Battle Cancer Again

The folks from Speed Demos Archive are organizing the fourth annual Awesome Games Done Quick, a live speedrunning charity marathon held for 7 days from January 5th till 11th. Donations raised during the event go to the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

Last year, kubelwagon raced through Doom and Doom 2 in pretty decent times and he added Chex Quest for extra Doom-related fun. This year, Doom will return on January 6th (or 7th, depending on your timezone) as Dime will tackle Plutonia on Ultra-Violence! The speedrun will be followed by a race between him and Vortale on either Doom or Doom 2, depending on a bid outcome. There will be an extra donation incentive to make Dime suffer through Go 2 It as well.

Simply follow Dime's instructions to watch the show:

Watching and joining in on the action is easy! Just head to the Speed Demos Archive website or the Games Done Quick homepage on January 5th, at 12PM EST (GMT-5)! An embedded video player, a chat window, and directions for how to donate will be right there on the page. It's as simple as that! So mark your calendar, and don't miss a second.

You can always watch the archive. The events aren't like normal streams, no one's going to be interacting with the chat (in fact it's best to just turn chat off, nothing but idiots), so you're not missing anything by not watching them live.

Dragonsbrethren said:

You can always watch the archive. The events aren't like normal streams, no one's going to be interacting with the chat (in fact it's best to just turn chat off, nothing but idiots), so you're not missing anything by not watching them live.

The chat is 90% FrankerZ dogs and 10% "OMG THERE IS A CHICK ON THE COUCH".

Will the footage be available on youtube? I know previous AGDQ editions are available. If so, would somebody please provide a link?

Dime's Plutonia run was both exciting to watch and nerve wracking at the same time, especially in the second half after things got hairy, but it proved rewarding right the way through. Well played for keeping your foot on the gas even when freak accidents on map16 and 18 threatened to upset everything (it was only a straight walk to the exit portal... oh man, what a nightmare). You clean-swept some of those tricky numbers as if they were nothing, and that race was pretty intense as well!

I pitched in for the cause but the announcer must have detected an Alfonzian presence and declined to read my jokes aloud, or something. That or I didn't fork over enough of the cash money. Just as well, perhaps.

Still, I'm keen on watching some of the remainder!

fraggle said:
Yep, here's Final Doom and Doom 1 / 2.

Was Doom 1 actually played? Final Doom was followed by Doom 2 and later some unrelated game got its chance. Is Doom 1 somewhere within the video?

Sick run by the way. Plutonia was really intense and I was worried if the runner would overcome the pressure after a number of failures (I'm talking about those archvile jumps). It was a very entertaining watch, as was the Doom 2 race (poor Vortale... I think I finally understand why Nirvana is so hated a map :P)

It was a bid war Patrol985, and Doom 1 got beaten by approximately 100$ in the war.

We raised about 3000$ with the bid war + 2400$ for plutonia's secret map not including the other donations.

Dime said:

It was a bid war Patrol985, and Doom 1 got beaten by approximately 100$ in the war.

I know, this info was given during the Final Doom playthrough, but the above post got me wondering if Doom 1 was included somehow anyway :P

Thanks for the explanation!

Pavera said:

It was fun.

I was going to say in chat you need to make more maps, but you probably wouldn't have seen it. Cool seeing you there though.

We were lucky to get Pavera out there, his car broke down but mattyice bit the bullet and drove 40 minutes to pick him up.

So big shoutouts to Matty for helping out with that, he sat on the far right of the couch.