Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jmickle66666666

Using textures linedefs for props?

Well, nearly every does for things like fences and gatings (masked midtextures). I don't think that's what you mean, though.

Using sprites for detail objects makes more sense most of the time, since you can't easily tell the object is flat. Of course you have the problem of the object "following" you but we're all so used to that no one would notice, versus being able to see the "edge" of your tree or whatever. Models/voxels are the best choice, really.

Voxels look stylistically out of place in Doom in my opinion. When I'm looking at them I can tell immediately that they come from another dimension. I'd say sprites are the best for small objects. Middle textures are a bit more fake but if you place them far away enough from the player, they look nice too. And for complex objects I'd say the best option is to combine sectors and middle textures. Kama Sutra has some amazing examples of real-life objects made of iwad materials only.

Da Werecat said:

Your snags are spoiled by fake contrast a little bit. You should avoid certain angles for linedefs.

Or disable fake contrast, which you can do on a per-linedef basis in ZDoom UDMF.

Da Werecat said:

Your snags are spoiled by fake contrast a little bit. You should avoid certain angles for linedefs.

yeah, and i'd want to refine the sprites to work better for this, i just mocked up that tree very quickly to see how it would turn out.

I think if you have a bark texture for the main bulk of the tree, with a circular sector with it's texture, then had the branches coming out of that it could look a lot better.

I agree with memfis that voxels look out of place in doom. It works on small and indiscreet objects but mostly too stark a contrast to everything else.

Objects like girders and other mechanical structures that tend to have a lot of straight edges may work, and vines that hang from the ceiling too, that would look odd as sprites. Come to think of it, I've probably seen that somewhere.