Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Estimated system requirements?

What PC do you think one would need to run Doom 4 reasonably? It's supposed to be an "ID tech 5" game so do you think a machine which runs Rage could also run Doom 4, or will there be so much added to the game than an upgrade is necessary?

DooM_RO said:

Come on man...we haven't even SEEN the game yet.

And that's why I want ESTIMATED data based on the fact that the game uses an already existing engine.

EDIT: By the way, "Wolfenstein: The New Order" is coming out this year and it also utilizes ID tech 5, so its performance compared to Rage might give some hints.

Shaviro said:

There's a Doom4?

Fine, I should have written "it WILL use ID tech 5". Sounds better?

Shaviro said:

It uses Idtech5? Where do you get your info :(

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85484-John-Carmack-Sheds-Some-Light-On-Doom-4

Sure, it was written in 2008 and Carmack was still holding the reins, but I doubt the production process was restarted by going back as far as engine selection. If, however, they ARE at a point of choosing a suitable engine, then forget the thread as the game is not going out during my lifetime anyway ;)

Yeah I'm sure it'll use Idtech5. Nothing else makes sense.
That said, it probably won't be Idtech5 as we know it. The game is most likely still 2 or 3 years away and by 2016 or 2017 the bulk of the tech can celebrate a 10 year anniversary. I'd say it's going to be modified beyond almost all recognition. My bet would be that something like Megatexture has been heavily reduced in favor of much more dynamic and contemporary techniques.

So at this point I think the only proper estimation we can give is for something more or less on the same level as the new generation of consoles. A lot can happen before Doom4 is released though. Maybe high-end PC gaming has a resurgence and the PC version will be pushing the limits. I doubt it, but it's possible.

Anyway, bottom line; The Rage version of Idtech5 will probably be completely different from Doom4 Idtech5.
And then again we don't even know *if* there will be a Doom4 :/

If my guesstimates are true, then it will be a PC, PS4, Xbox One, whatever other high-end systems are out at the time. I guess there's no logic behind downscaling the game for PS3 and Xbox360 3 years into the new console cycle!?

But while I've been on the fence as to whether there will ever be a Doom4 - at least without some major intervention/purge happening first - I'm starting to lean towards no.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/id-Software-Reviews-E3811.htm?sort.sortType=RD&sort.ascending=false

The latest entry (from Dec 13) completely skips Id Software management and gives advice to Zenimax in the comment section. If this is all true (and I have little doubt that it is), then that company is so far down the maelstrom of mismanagement that it's going to be very difficult to recover.

You assume it's true just because it's negative. Consider this quote: "A large number of employees who feel entitled to be included on every decision and actively bash the company and it's leadership every moment they can get." Why isn't anyone talking about it? Because obviously if someone says it's the problem with employees throwing dirt, it has to be bullshit.

Point is, I don't know what happens at id. But I can totally imagine there might be a majority that works and is doing fine and a vocal minority of disappointed individuals that get all the attention.

I don't exactly know what happens at id either, but my money's on it being a pretty lousy place to work. It's not comprised of the same people you read about in Masters of Doom.

I assume it's true because it sounds plausible when you take everything coming out of id into account. The company has been bleeding talent for years. Doom4 has been restarted internally at least once. The quote you refer to also show signs of mismanagement. When Carmack left he hinted at some "gory details" that were bound to come out. Todd Hollenshead left. Matt Hooper left and his exit kept secret for half a year.

Can you find any indications that id software is healthy and all the surrounding negativity is false?

I never said everything is fine. All I'm saying is that it might not be as bleak as most people believe. There's a lot of devs at id who have been with the company for years, there's a good amount of vets from the ~DOOM 3 era. It's not just people leaving, you know. It's also kind of funny that people say "XYZ left, id is no longer the same" while earlier they were the first to blame them for D3 / RAGE / whatever. For some there's ALWAYS a reason to complain.

I'm not claiming everything is awesome. I like to think it'll be awesome because hey, I want it to be awesome. Honestly, I'd rather be considered to be 'in denial' rather than think everything is shit all the time. It's not like my world will collapse if I'm wrong.

Touchdown said:

I never said everything is fine. All I'm saying is that it might not be as bleak as most people believe. There's a lot of devs at id who have been with the company for years, there's a good amount of vets from the ~DOOM 3 era. It's not just people leaving, you know.

I'm sure there are lots of small nice things happening as well, but I'm just trying to take everything we do hear into account and paint the most realistic picture I can from that.

Touchdown said:

It's also kind of funny that people say "XYZ left, id is no longer the same" while earlier they were the first to blame them for D3 / RAGE / whatever. For some there's ALWAYS a reason to complain.

Well I'm definitely not one of those people :)
Not that there aren't problems with D3 or huge fuckups with RAGE, but I actually see Carmack leaving as a potentially very good thing for id as I wrote in another post.

Touchdown said:

I'm not claiming everything is awesome. I like to think it'll be awesome because hey, I want it to be awesome. Honestly, I'd rather be considered to be 'in denial' rather than think everything is shit all the time. It's not like my world will collapse if I'm wrong.

I want it to be awesome as well, but I have no grounds for being optimistic about it at this point.