Find results in...
Superluigieth1

The Internet Just Got Fucking Worse.

Is the Internet gonna get worse?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Internet gonna get worse?

• The Internet's gonna get worse.
    • The Internet will turn to AdLand.
    • The Internet's dark side will take over.
    • The Internet will shut down soon.
    • Come to Giga-Burger! 15% off of your next burger if you can guess what kind of meat it is!
    • Superluigieth1 has adware
    • Superluigieth1 runs an adware removal software company

Superluigieth1 said:

It's Official! 95% of the Internet now has ads. I've just shat my pants. Now GOOGLE and YOUTUBE has ads. Google has just violated itself. Think your theory here.

Sorry to break it to you, but Google's had advertisements since as long as I can remember. They displayed featured websites meant to advertise a product to you a long time ago (and still do.)

On top of that, Youtube's had ads for quite a while. I think you joined the party a little late, no offense to you on your part.

The Internet has ads that say "Your computer has errors" and "Click HERE to download FREE games"! How preposterous! This has NEVER happened before!

Jimothy said:

Sorry to break it to you, but Google's had advertisements since as long as I can remember. They displayed featured websites meant to advertise a product to you a long time ago (and still do.)

On top of that, Youtube's had ads for quite a while. I think you joined the party a little late, no offense to you on your part.

I mean that reaking bar on the bottom and the sides.

Maes said:

The Internet has ads that say "Your computer has errors" and "Click HERE to download FREE games"! How preposterous! This has NEVER happened before!

and those GREEN BARS! (I mean those green underlines which rederict you to a search thingo.)

Jimothy said:

I'm staring at Google's search page right now, I don't see what you're talking about. The only bar I see is the one you use to search with. When I do search something, the only thing I see at the bottom is the usual privacy and terms button junk and the great big page counter. No ads in sight.

You might have AdBlock or a ad protector.

Superluigieth1 said:

I mean that reaking bar on the bottom.

I'm staring at Google's search page right now, I don't see what you're talking about. The only bar I see is the one you use to search with. When I do search something, the only thing I see at the bottom is the usual privacy and terms button junk and the great big page counter. No ads in sight.

Jimothy said:

I think they need to gather some more information about you (cookies, personal data etc.) before starting displaying "personalized ads". If you use google without a Google account and delete all cookies/use "stealth" mode all the time, then yeah, maybe you won't get ads. it also depends on which country and language they think you use.

Superluigieth1 said:

It's Official! 95% of the Internet now has ads all over the place.

Welcome to the 21st century, we hope you enjoy your stay.

Internet advertising is nothing new and you'll probably find most forum members have some strategy to minimize their exposure. Mine includes AdBlock Plus, NoScript, a hosts file and refusing third-party cookies.

Which brings us to the next, big question: who pays for the Internet?

Speaking of "selling out the internet", I remember a hacker/demoscene magazine making a big fuss about the "Internet having being sold" to the CIX (Commercial Internet eXchange) back in 1995 or somesuch.

I just ignore the ads most of the time, so it's not a problem for me. Besides, companies need the ad revenue. Might as well give it to 'em.

My connection is capped and a waste of money in a sense so ad block all the way for me.

Shaviro said:

Do you propose paying for the services provided to you then? :)

Now that Verizon owns the internet, we'll be doing that soon.

GreyGhost said:

Welcome to the 21st century, we hope you enjoy your stay.

Internet advertising is nothing new and you'll probably find most forum members have some strategy to minimize their exposure. Mine includes AdBlock Plus, NoScript, a hosts file and refusing third-party cookies.

I, too, used AdBlock Plus, until I read this. I'm not keen on the idea of 'Accepted Ads', or the process underlying it, so switched to AdBlock Edge.

Well 4chan and Megaupload were shut down. Internet got better. ooo ads. Oh no, ads are killing the Internet!

durian said:

I, too, used AdBlock Plus, until I read this. I'm not keen on the idea of 'Accepted Ads', or the process underlying it, so switched to AdBlock Edge.

I noticed that feature some time back, fortunately it can be turned off.

durian said:

You can alway untick the option for "accepted ads" just look in settings of the plugin.
You can also use this extension for adblockplus: https://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper
Which allows you to block anything (even text and background ads) on any webpage. Sometimes it is little trickier to block an ad with this, but you can also find a correct rule on the internet if you google a bit)

Sure. My concern, though, was not so much that Accepted Ads would be getting through - I understand it's possible to turn them off - rather, I was perturbed by what I took to be the pretty scurrilous antics of the people behind ABP.

Sokoro said:

but you can also find a correct rule on the internet if you google a bit)

I only know one rule... rule 34.

Superluigieth1 said:

Now GOOGLE and YOUTUBE has ads. Google has just violated itself. Sheesh.

Google is the largest advertising company on the Internet. Is this seriously news to you?

Superluigieth1 said:

and those GREEN BARS! (I mean those green underlines which rederict you to a search thingo.)

You might have malware.

MFG38 said:

I just ignore the ads most of the time, so it's not a problem for me. Besides, companies need the ad revenue. Might as well give it to 'em.

They can't go away!

Maes said:

Oh & dont forget "you have been chosen from a random draw and won a million dollars"!

All I can say is that I haven't seen an advertisement on the internet in probably 7 or 8 years or more, and it's fucking great.

Superluigieth1 said:
It's Official! 95% of the Internet now has ads all over the place.

Once you've run your adware removal program, make your pick:

1) Some ads
2) Pay to use Google
3) Pay more taxes

It's up to people and interest groups to ensure ads aren't too invasive, but don't expect them to go away without relying heavily on choices 2 and 3 above.