Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link

Suitepee said:

So I'm a little confused. Is this project finished and I have to download 3 wads of different compatibility types, or is there one big file that contains all the maps being complied together? Or are people still making adjustments to their maps and the final version isn't out yet?

I'll wait a bit before uploading to /idgames, in case people find bugs, etc.

The final version will be 3 separate wads in one zip file.

TimeOfDeath said:

I'll wait a bit before uploading to /idgames, in case people find bugs, etc.

The final version will be 3 separate wads in one zip file.

Ah, cheers for clearing that up!

Something I think needs to be brought up.

@Ijon Tichy:Your map is cool and all, and I don't ask that you change the concept. However, you should add an exit switch, because once the player gets to your map, they have no way of getting out of it except other than quitting the game. The NextMap console command doesn't work, either.

An exit switch would make one-time playthroughs and livestreams more feasible, while still allowing players who want to continue getting a higher score and surviving on your map to do so.

Other than that, your map, Futility, is very nice looking and quite a challenge.

obake said:

Something I think needs to be brought up.

@Ijon Tichy:Your map is cool and all, and I don't ask that you change the concept. However, you should add an exit switch, because once the player gets to your map, they have no way of getting out of it except other than quitting the game. The NextMap console command doesn't work, either.

http://ijontichy.lostsig.com/wads/futility_v24.wad

well that was easy

edit: I have no clue why nextmap doesn't work; my MAPINFO doesn't define a next map in it

maybe I should actually look at the compilation

edit2: yeah, ToD forgot to add "next map13" to my MAPINFO thing

edit3: did some UI tweaks, redownload if you like being able to read which weapon you just got

Ijon Tichy said:

http://ijontichy.lostsig.com/wads/futility_v24.wad

well that was easy

edit: I have no clue why nextmap doesn't work; my MAPINFO doesn't define a next map in it

maybe I should actually look at the compilation

edit2: yeah, ToD forgot to add "next map13" to my MAPINFO thing

edit3: did some UI tweaks, redownload if you like being able to read which weapon you just got

Thanks for your response. I honestly really like your map. It has a distinct gameplay style to it that I never experienced in Doom before.

There is one more major bug fix, this time for Jazzmaster9's "A Room with A View": The map seems to be unbeatable without noclip or fly, because the player cannot get to the door leading to the room with the red key (the ledge is too far away, and the player is not allowed to jump), nor do I see any way they could access the blue door. Otherwise, this looks like a nice level, with good monster placement and neat looking rooms.

obake said:

There is one more major bug fix, this time for Jazzmaster9's "A Room with A View": The map seems to be unbeatable without noclip or fly, because the player cannot get to the door leading to the room with the red key (the ledge is too far away, and the player is not allowed to jump), nor do I see any way they could access the blue door. Otherwise, this looks like a nice level, with good monster placement and neat looking rooms.

The level is beatable, I just did it. The switch textures are actually lifts. Jazzmaster9 likes to make lifts out of all kinds of metal textures, and sometimes they're hard to recognize.

The level is linear and very simple in both visuals and gameplay. Author can use 3D floors, but better would be if he was focusing on various kinds of more interesting and eye-pleasing visual presentation and level structure. But nothing really bad about it, Jazzmaster9 avoided the plain uglyness seen so often. Progression makes sense and is intuitive enough to be easily managable, and player doesn't have problems with bumping into things.

Thank you obake for the information you gave me.
I will watch about what you said and try to fix it.

It's still possible to fix my map and upload again?

There's a bug in my Ode to Everything map that makes the floor in the baron niche in the second Entryway raise with HOM. I don't have time to look at it right now, so maybe it'd be faster to just fix it in the compilation.

scifista42 said:

The level is beatable, I just did it. The switch textures are actually lifts. Jazzmaster9 likes to make lifts out of all kinds of metal textures, and sometimes they're hard to recognize.

The level is linear and very simple in both visuals and gameplay. Author can use 3D floors, but better would be if he was focusing on various kinds of more interesting and eye-pleasing visual presentation and level structure. But nothing really bad about it, Jazzmaster9 avoided the plain uglyness seen so often. Progression makes sense and is intuitive enough to be easily managable, and player doesn't have problems with bumping into things.

Yeah someone pointed that out as well that I make lifts unrecognizable, i'll avoid that as much as possible in my future maps.

A short list of my impressions on the zdoom/udmf portion of this project:

Best map: Water Control by The_Trigger

Really good maps: Incarnate by Netherstorm
Ode to Everything by Scypek2
NUKAGE PROCESSING by ShadesMaster
SUBBSE by mrthejoshmon

Honorable mentions: Go to Hell by Baratus
Language Barrier by Kate Stone
Futility by Ijon Tichy

Worst maps: Twilight of the Gods and Dripping Oven Oil from Your Third Arm, by Ed and ClonedPickle, respectively.

obake said:

Best maps: Twilight of the Gods and Dripping Oven Oil from Your Third Arm, by Ed and ClonedPickle, respectively.

Wow! Thanks man!

Fellowzdoomer said:

As usual the threads will end with a,person saying theyll upload gameplays on youtube...

*starting...*

I'm only going to play this on my twitch channel, not Youtube. (saving that for Switcharoom) So ha!

obake said:

A short list of my impressions on the zdoom/udmf portion of this project:

Best map: Water Control by The_Trigger

I don't know what to say? Thank you :)
Glad you enjoyed it.

Suitepee said:

I'm only going to play this on my twitch channel, not Youtube. (saving that for Switcharoom) So ha!

I can't wait to see your livestream coverage of this suitepee ;)

Considering the final version will be separated in 3 wads, do you have any idea which one you will play first? (Vanilla, Boom or Zdoom/Udmf?).

Suitepee said:

A shame, i much prefer the tube over the twitch as its more accessible for rewatching stuff (imo).

Dave

obake said:

...Really good maps: Incarnate by Netherstorm
Ode to Everything by Scypek2
NUKAGE PROCESSING by ShadesMaster
SUBBSE by mrthejoshmon...

I am honored, thank you.

Suitepee said:

"We shall see... about that."
-G-Man, Half Life 2 Episode 1

Fellowzdoomer said:

As usual the threads will end with a,person saying theyll upload gameplays on youtube...

*starting...*

Warning though. My sound will desync because I don't know of any android screen recorders that sync the sound... >:-(

I played the vanilla/limit-removing levels of the project. Here are the maps I believe stand as the best of this particular portion:

5 Fernito Ferno (vanilla)
6 Matt534Dog The Last Stand (vanilla)
10 Alfonzo Postmodern Hydraulics (vanilla)
17 Obsidian None So Vile (vanilla)

My favorite of these is Matt534Dog's "The Last Stand", which is a cool techbase that feels very much like a Doom 1 map, but updated heavily. This is praise, not criticism, by the way. I love the layout of this map and the mix of secrets. It's super fun to explore.

Alfonzo's "Postmodern Hydraulics" and Ferno's "Fernito" are also quite good, although they still aren't as memorable as "The Last Stand".

Obsidian's "None So Vile" is one of the eeriest, most unique maps I have played for Doom. It seems like a dungeon from The Legend of Zelda. There are so many puzzles and mysteries to figure out, yet they go far beyond simply hitting switches. There is one switch puzzle, but it is one of the easier ones to solve. The level is also reminiscient of Plutonia's "Hunted."

Overall, how do these compare to my favorites of the zdoom/udmf levels? I personally like the zdoom levels more.

ChronoSerge said:

You DO realize that he said worst and not best, right?

Also, the thread for dmp2014 is up, guys

I think he got the point :)
He was just joking.

Guest Unregistered account

I'm interested in this project. I'd like to know some things: Which map slots are still open, if any?
And also, do you have to use a lump editor and rename the levels yourself or is it done for you? Because I've been having trouble with XWE/Slade etc.