Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomCollector

Shareware boxes?

I think in this page, the eighth one from the top is the one you're talking about. The third thumbnail shows the floppy, which doesn't have the version, but given it's dated 1993, I assume it's either v1.0 or v1.1, since according to the Wiki, they were the only ones released in 1993, while further versions were released in 1994 and 1995.

I think you'll find even v1.666 floppies wear that 1993 copyright date, reading the boot disk's directory is a more reliable way to do a version check.

Yeah, the eight one is the one I'm talking about... I know some of you guys here have the box. Can anyone try the floppy out and see what's on it? I’ve seen one on eBay and I’m quite interested in it only if it’s 1.0 or 1.1.

I remember a video game database somewhere that listed all Doom releases with photos of the floppies or disks and such. Anyone know which one I mean?

Okay, Stanford University has a scan of it:
Diskette 1:
02/03/2009 09:48 AM <DIR> .
02/03/2009 09:48 AM <DIR> ..
09/06/1994 10:54 AM 74 CFG.TXT
02/03/2009 09:48 AM 0 dir.txt
01/24/1994 06:27 AM 799 GLUE.COM
10/26/1994 08:55 AM 27,155 INSTALL.EXE
09/06/1994 10:47 AM 987,960 TSL.002
5 File(s) 1,015,988 bytes
Diskette 2:
02/03/2009 09:50 AM <DIR> .
02/03/2009 09:50 AM <DIR> ..
02/03/2009 09:50 AM 0 dir.txt
09/06/1994 10:47 AM 1,400,000 TSL.001
2 File(s) 1,400,000 bytes

Seems like a 94er...

Could you post a link to those scans? The only Doom stuff I know of at Stanford is the St. John's College map.

Thanks for the link, now I know why I couldn't make sense of those directory listings. They're from another distributor called The Software Labs who wouldn't have used GT Interactive labels on their disks, I don't know if they boxed their products either.

I like the summary, "a hoard of demons" suggests someone's been collecting them. :D

EDIT - Looks like they did box them after all

Little known fact, Doom fakes the 3D rendering by using an amazing breakthrough in parallax-scrolling technology.

Also, I don't remember a sergeant and demon ever being in the starting room of the nuclear plant. I guess that's what happens when creatures can come at you from the darkhess. Normal hesses are bad enough as it is, dark hesses are just frightful.

I see 2 curious things in the pics, E3M2 has E1 sky and that section of E2M6 has comp textures when in the final release has brown. This means that the pictures were taken from some previous version of the final levels, at least the one of E2M6.

nicolas monti said:

I see 2 curious things in the pics, E3M2 has E1 sky and that section of E2M6 has comp textures when in the final release has brown. This means that the pictures were taken from some previous version of the final levels, at least the one of E2M6.

They did the same thing with Doom 2. The other three shots that are on the larger box originally came bundled with the pre-beta.

DoomCollector said:

One with black border ("your free copy Doom shareware") and one without... any ideas?

I think I've seen the black bordered box bundled with the registered version of Wolf3D, shrinkwrapped side-by-side which made them expensive to post. :(

I got that black bordered version still in sealed condition. Bought it something like 2006 on ebay with some odd jewel cased doom maps packs and stuff