Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Unregistered account

New map for FreeDM

I had a look at FreeDM and noticed a few empty slots - these being Map30, 31 and 32. I didn't realise that most of the city levels were also empty but by then I'd already made a map.

So... here it is. It contains a "No more Visplanes" error (different, I think, from the Visplane Overflow) so if anyone could fix it for me then that's appreciated.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8wv1j6l28srbay3/FreeDMJoe%282%29.wad

The music for Map30 doesn't exactly run along with my map, mainly because I was humming the Dwango5 map01 song as I made it... so this map shares some similarities.

Catoptromancy said:

Fixed mostly for now.

What do you mean by that? That it's already fairly playable or you've edited it yourself?

For the moment, only DM26 and DM30 are still empty slots. Try to remember that the release version doesn't quite reflect the current work-in-progress state of the project :)

At any rate, FreeDM is vanilla and all the levels must contain the Player 1,2,3,4 starts (Cato submitted a fixed version), and shouldn't VPO, which this level does. Otherwise, it looks like a great start.

Also, either post or include a text file with your name/email so we can credit you!

Right. Now, um, where did part of the metal holding the dead bodies go in the outside area...?

I test using dosbox with Doom shareware 1.9 exe and freedm.wad renamed to doom2.wad.

That part was causing issues. I tried to keep geometry and gameplay as original as possible. Had to remove hanging bodies as they blocked player movement in vanilla.

I think we are going to allow mapslots over map33 so boom maps can be included. We can put your map there if you want to keep it as original as possible.

Yes please! I also noticed the hanging bodies blocked despite them not saying "(Blocking)" in Doom Builder 2.

Catoptromancy said:

I test using dosbox with Doom shareware 1.9 exe and freedm.wad renamed to doom2.wad.

That's silly. While you certainly can do that, you can do it better with Chocolate Doom. heh.

chungy said:

That's silly. While you certainly can do that, you can do it better with Chocolate Doom. heh.

I have been much too lazy to figure this out.

windres resource.rc -o resource.o
windres: can't get BFD_RELOC_RVA relocation type: No error
make[2]: *** [resource.o] Error 1

chungy said:

I agree - however, Chocolate Doom has an extremely low resoloution. I'm not sure if it's the same with Vanilla.

Vanilla's resolution is 320x200 and Chocolate Doom is meant to replicate it 100% exactly.

PrBoom-Plus is pretty great for running in high resolution, even has vanilla demo support, but since it comes from Boom, it has no visplane limit and you can't tell if a map is vanilla compatible or not (unlike Chocolate Doom).

True, I'm just used to the 640x480 of Doom95.

Sorry, I've been -really- caught up in other stuff and I'll be on holiday for 4 days.

I kind of forgot about the crediting thing.

I'm perhaps thinking of recreating/editing this map as I think it has an air of "incompleteness".