Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

MAP24 -
Level name : Ring of Gyges
Author : Stygian
Music Track : "Ring of Gyges" by nub_hat
Description : This is a terrestrial/hell-themed map with many large outdoor areas and places to explore. Although it is possible to complete the map very quickly, initial play-throughs can be slow and tedious due to a high monster count and heavy use of monster-blocking lines.
Known issues : It is possible to become stuck inside of the boss arena with the archviles. A few graphical anomalies are also present.

There are still some problems with my map. It's a shame I didn't get around to fixing them before I started back to school. :/ I'll try to patch these up ASAP.

If you can fix up the map within a week that would be great.

Meanwhile, I've just finished the menu screen logo and the intermission screen picture, the latter by taking a snapshot of MAP08: Compound and tweaking it a little in Paint Shop Pro to get the final result.

Now I've only got a credits screen to do and we should be set in terms of graphical enhancements.

I like that intermission pic, Kildeth. It gives me the feeling of the aftermath of a battle, and the sense of both success and relief that comes with it.

It's funny, but a map with all the monsters killed feels very...lonely. That pic also reminds me of that feeling of being alone. It just looks so desolate!

@dobu - Logo was done just like you said and looks fine.

@Arjak - It probably looks desolate as - with the exception of the place to the right of the fence - the region depicted is a large, out-of-bounds area that basically functions as additional architecture to complement the scenery of the map.
That, and industrial architecture and dusky sky always shouts 'desolation' to me, Doom map or otherwise.

New Episode 2 sky. I want to keep working on it a little bit, so that the sun doesn't stretch as much. This one is 1024x128. Give me the evening.

Amazing work there :).

I have EvilNed's, joe-ilya's and Stygian's info on maps and author info right now. So will there be any more out there willing to provide map and author info? I mean, it's OK if some stuff is left blank, just wondering.

EDIT: what we're missing now:

-MAP29's music track
-Map and author info from fiend-o-hell, Fuzzyfireball, Paul D, PRIMEVAL, and sgt Dopey

I think that's about it.

Link to updated NOVA wad file with working skies.

http://www.filmklubben.eu/wads/Nova24JanSkies.rar

(NOTE: Episode 1 and 3 skies are 512x128. Episode 2 sky is 1024x128.)

@Hurricyclone, I also added my text directly to the .txt file in this .rar file if that's ok. So this download includes the info on my maps.

EDIT:

Crap, except this part:

Author : EvilNed
Email address : jonathanridings@gmail.com
Webpage :
Other files by me : E1M3 in HYMN. E4M9 in Switcheroo. CCore.wad.

Hurricyclone said:

Amazing work there :).

I have EvilNed's, joe-ilya's and Stygian's info on maps and author info right now. So will there be any more out there willing to provide map and author info? I mean, it's OK if some stuff is left blank, just wondering.

EDIT: what we're missing now:

-MAP29's music track
-Map and author info from fiend-o-hell, Fuzzyfireball, Paul D, PRIMEVAL, and sgt Dopey

I think that's about it.

Also; mouldy has yet to write something about their Megiddo section; and we are waiting on a map update by Stygian which hopefully won't be too far off.

kildeth said:

Also; mouldy has yet to write something about their Megiddo section

Ah forgot about that, here you go:

My Meggiddo section is blue and a bit of a bastard. There are 3 alternative routes to the exit switch, originally I made it so you had to do all 3, but it was taking too long so I simplified it. The ethos behind the design was a mixture of constant threat and awkward cover. I also learned that teleport traps don't work very well on map 30, hence the bolted-on monster closets.

PrBoom and PrBoom+ on my mac can't run EvilNed's version of the beta (I get a whole mess-load of errors about "bad textures"). Perhaps we can just take the RSKYs from there and throw them into kildeth's newest one.

dobu gabu maru said:

PrBoom and PrBoom+ on my mac can't run EvilNed's version of the beta (I get a whole mess-load of errors about "bad textures"). Perhaps we can just take the RSKYs from there and throw them into kildeth's newest one.

Doesnt work that way. The skies are implemented by use of patches in TEXTURE1 lump. Should be vanilla compatible. Maybe we should ask in the Doom editing forum.

I think I'm about satisfied with the graphics I've made for NOVA. I was going to make a new intermission screen with the updated sky but I think the current one is fine as is.

The new graphics include a new titlepic, logo (same as on titlepic), intermission screen pic, and a bossback pic for the final encore of the Doom II cast after the last story screen.

Once EvilNed is done implementing the skies and they work we can just throw these straight in the wad and then we only have Stygian's update and the text file to fix up before we are ready to upload to /idgames.

I think I mentioned it before, but I'll do it again. The SSG room in map 3 is completely inaccessible due to the flaming barrels blocking the teleporter. Seeing as it's only purpose it to give DM players the SSG & since it's overly complicated to even find, it might me best to simply delete that section from the map, especially since we are trying to keep the player from getting the SSG until later in the game.

Also I would still like the text file to say that I have Fully Added Deathmatch to Maps 1, 2, 11, 12, 13, 16, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31 & Adjusted Deathmatch on Maps 3, 6, 8, 9, 20

Author : Jaws In Space
Email address : jawsinspace@gmail.com
Webpage : -
Other files by me : Map 3, 6, 7, 11, 16, & 19 from the Monochrome Mapping Project

@Jaws In Space - I'll look at removing the flaming barrels, but I might leave the SSG part in just as an extra bonus for those who are particularly prudent in searching the map and looking for clues with the automap. The SSG is not an official secret and I don't think weaponry adds towards item count, so it may as well be kept there as an easter egg.

Once I get the text file back from Hurricyclone, I'll give you more detailed credits regarding the maps you touched up for DM. At the moment you are credited but not for each individual map contribution.

EDIT: Download with fixed MAP03 + the graphics I made

https://www.mediafire.com/?h9o15n010okr0aa

@EvilNed - Once you've got the skies functional, you can patch the wad with this.

Testing with version Nova_Jan_20_Beta.wad.

Maps with zero length reject: 1, 2, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 16, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 30, 31.
An all zero reject is preferable to a zero-length reject.

Some stuff I found during a playthrough (up to MAP19 so far):

MAP07 - The mid textures on either side of sector 288 bleed through the floor (software rendering).
Sector 160 - the secret can't be triggered due to the line action clearing the special when activated.

MAP13 - Line 427 looks odd when the floor lowers, maybe uncheck lower unpegged.
Sector 167 is tagged 12.

MAP14 - Things 221 and 222 can jump up in the air when the stairs is activated (complevel 2).
Sector 480 - the secret doesn't get triggered because of the step up to the teleporter.

MAP32 - Sectors 525 and 526 don't lower (complevel 2).
Things 111 and 116 can jump up out of reach (complevel 2).

MAP16 - Things 81 (RL) and 715 (Backpack) can jump up when line 611 is activated (complevel 2).
Lines 2493 and 2499 bleed through the floor (software rendering).

MAP17 - Sector 1009 is very thin, the secret doesn't register unless you cross over it slowly.
Sector 29 has tag 3, after crossing line 173 the door can't be opened (complevel 2).

MAP19 - Sector 1226 doesn't lower (complevel 2).

I must say the skies look awesome, great job Evilned.
good job on the other material Kildeth. I look forward to giving this another go on final release.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9x877vvqh7rl3wv/

Mediafire was being a bitch to me earlier today but I think I got this situated now. I decided to credit Jaws in the NOVAinfo textfile anyways. Also, MAP26's MIDI is this.

"Rock My Emotions" by Kitsune^2 (Renard Queenston), MIDI version by Jimmy

Still want:

-Story (forgot to mention this earlier)
-MAP29's music track
-Author and map comments from fiend-o-hell, Fuzzyfireball, Paul D, PRIMEVAL, and sgt. Dopey

I'll look deeper into MAP32 in the meantime.

All five people who have not submitted text file info have just been notified either through PM or email to do so, so hopefully we'll get a few more contributors.

fiend-o-hell - via email (will likely reply; he has before so the email is active)
Fuzzyfireball - via PM (no email provided, unlikely to reply)
Paul D - via email
PRIMEVAL - via PM (will likely reply; was on Doomworld just yesterday)
sgt. Dopey - via email

I might write something about 'Suspend' in absence of Fuzzyfireball as I doubt he's coming back and seems uncontactable. =(

Good news. Both Paul D and fiend-o-hell have responded to me via email. Fiend-o-hell should be here to give a write up on his map soon, Paul D however, cannot retrieve his login at this time so he's just going to be emailing me the info. Here's what he had to say concerning the music used on his maps.

For one, Sangy is a midi transcript of a track from "Final Liberation", I don't know who wrote it though.

Second, the Track for Immaterium is not an original composition by me, it is the Ordos Mentat theme from Dune 2 by Frank Klepacki and Dwight Okahara.

He should have a writeup for his maps shortly.