Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quakke

Noob development

Hello

I was wondering if there are some other people like me who are quite beginners but interested in making an old school style FPS using idtech1 engine and doombuilder?

I may be a beginner, but i like to think that i do pretty good level designing. Speaking of which.. I could do the level designing, soundtrack and probably half of the game audio for the mod. So i would need some people who are good in texturing, modelling, animating and scripting.

Just for starters i would make this only a 5 level long mod. Just to see if i can actually finish it? You see i have never done any game mod before, but i am not a total lostsoul, since level designing and sound are my strong sides. I may post some shots of my level designing at later date just to proove that i ain't lying.

So everyone who is interested, just mention it in this topic. Oh, and like i already wrote. It would be preferable that you'd be also quite a beginner, since then we are more on the same level and just feels more appropriate IMO compared to working with a professionals who just delivers great results and does everything super fast. I mean no offense to any talented modders there, none at all. I just think it's gonna work better if everybody are more on the same level who are in this development.

-SCRIPTERS

-TEXTURERS

-ANIMATORS

-MODELLERS

TEXTURES, SPRITES AND HUD TO CHANGE WHEN PEOPLE FOR THE JOB ARE FOUND

It might pay to post some evidence of your mapmaking skills first(screenshots, video, wad links, that sort of stuff). :)

There are plenty of people eager to start their own indie game or TC based on Doom. This or this could interest you. Both are kind of in the same status: textures mostly done, still need monsters, could use some levels.

If you're a beginner start small. Smaller than you think you can achieve right now. An entire FPS is a lot of work, even one as simple as what I'm making right now.

Obsidian said:

It might pay to post some evidence of your mapmaking skills first(screenshots, video, wad links, that sort of stuff). :)

Hope the posted image helps providing information about my level designing skills.

Gez said:

There are plenty of people eager to start their own indie game or TC based on Doom. This or this could interest you. Both are kind of in the same status: textures mostly done, still need monsters, could use some levels.

Those seem really cool. Especially the Heretic-style one, because those kinda games have been very far and few in my opinnion.

The thing is. I would like to be the lead designer in this development. I already have my vision for the mod and would hate to have to waste it. I'm planning on a Scifi style game that is ofcourse inspired by some of the greatest FPS ever like DOOM, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D and the original Star Wars: Jedi Knight games.

Jayextee said:

If you're a beginner start small. Smaller than you think you can achieve right now. An entire FPS is a lot of work, even one as simple as what I'm making right now.

I would imagine 5 levels is something i can pull off, because i basically have one level already designed. Only about throwing things in it anymore. You know things like "room attention to detail". I mean i already have enemies in this map and eventhough there are only 63 of them, it already is quite difficult on the Ultra-Violence difficulty. I have also couple of other levels in progress and quite a few scetches on paper, including one that i am already happy with and could start already using.

Would love to see the mod you're working on, if it's somewhere online to be seen?

quakke said:

Would love to see the mod you're working on, if it's somewhere online to be seen?

There's a thread in these very forums but I'm not at a stage where I'm thinking about a website or anything for it quite yet.

By the look of the recently-added screenshots, we're going for similar kinds of 'old school'. ;)

Jayextee said:

There's a thread in these very forums but I'm not at a stage where I'm thinking about a website or anything for it quite yet.

By the look of the recently-added screenshots, we're going for similar kinds of 'old school'. ;)

In it's own right, pretty cool. I'm 100% sure that it's fun, and thats what matters. Though, i have completely different goal with my game.

Those Black&White textures i added, was just something i added lol:D At this moment texturing is not for me. I'll gladly replace my black&white textures with something more appropriate. And to me, they seem kinda too "Star Wars copied" anyways, and i don't want my game to be Star Wars number 2 nor DOOM version 2. No. I'm gonna take inspiration from those games plus other games aswell, and then come up with my own thing. Other games include Tomb Raider, because i want my game to include platforming (yes yes, i know some people hate first person perspective platforming.. :) ). But i'm very excited about this, and it's a good thing to me because to me excitement/passion=alot of ideas.

Riiight, I gotcha.

As for first-person platforming, I have nothing against it on a fundamental level -- it's all in the execution. Platforming in Quake worked better than it did in Half-Life (although mileage may vary on that one), and both worked better than in Duke Nukem 3D and none of them work as well as Metroid Prime, for example.

So, the aesthetic you're going for will be more a '90s FPS look? Difficult, though not impossible, to pull off -- you're looking at a LOT of work on sprites, for example, even with only drawing 5 angles and saving work. Unless, of course, you're lucky enough to find an artist who can sculpt models and touch up photographs (aka, sprites the way id did) but I don't think such a person exists in this community right now.

Texture-wise, there are actually a fair few talented artists here. Musicians too, which I notice you didn't mention.

In fact, have you thought any about sound in general? I'm lucky enough to be able to make my own, though decent foley artists are apparently rare as hell in these parts.

Jayextee said:

Riiight, I gotcha.

Sorry, could be something i'm completely mis-interpreting or something, because English is not my native language. But from the way you responded, i'm not sure if i actually offended you in someway or made you upset? Was absolutely not my intention to offend anyone. I just wanted to make clear that i have quite different vision for this.

Jayextee said:

As for first-person platforming, I have nothing against it on a fundamental level -- it's all in the execution. Platforming in Quake worked better than it did in Half-Life (although mileage may vary on that one), and both worked better than in Duke Nukem 3D and none of them work as well as Metroid Prime, for example.

I didn't find Half-Life's platforming that horrible, nor Duke Nukem 3D's. Probably pretty unforgiving but thats just about getting better at the game. But i guess it's all personal preference and just like taste in music, can't be really compared.

Jayextee said:

So, the aesthetic you're going for will be more a '90s FPS look? Difficult, though not impossible, to pull off -- you're looking at a LOT of work on sprites, for example, even with only drawing 5 angles and saving work. Unless, of course, you're lucky enough to find an artist who can sculpt models and touch up photographs (aka, sprites the way id did) but I don't think such a person exists in this community right now.

Well.. yeah probably, unless it prooves to be very difficult? Then i probably will opt out to something XIII style? Kinda comic/animation style you know?

I don't expect to make anything even close to what id Software made in it's Heyday. Afterall, i am an amateur :D But i do kinda have very big plans for this because i'm simply disgusted by Modern FPS (Call of Duty..) and i thought i should take the matters to my own hands instead of just complaining and waiting. And here i am.

5 levels deffinitely not impossible but can be quite hard indeed. And well, you gotta start from somewhere. This is my start. Could be quite huge to someone but i always expect the best possible results out of me. Be it anything in life. I always want 110% from me.

Jayextee said:

Texture-wise, there are actually a fair few talented artists here. Musicians too, which I notice you didn't mention.

Texturers are pretty much the people i'm hoping to find because then it's gonna be easier for me to craft the levels because i have already some sort of idea what the particular enviroment is gonna be?

I didn't mention any musicians, because i myself am an musician and actually mentioned it already on the first post that i can make the entire soundtrack for the game and probably half of other game audio also.

Jayextee said:

In fact, have you thought any about sound in general? I'm lucky enough to be able to make my own, though decent foley artists are apparently rare as hell in these parts.

I probably will also be making most of the stuff on my own.

At later date i will probably post a song that is going to be in some of the 5 levels in the game. Or maybe it's going to be the main title music? I dunno yet, time will tell..

Derp, I must have skip-read over where you mentioned 'soundtrack' and 'audio'. My bad.

Nah, I didn't take any offence; I just misinterpreted your placeholder textures for an indication of the final 'look'. After a glance at my own project, you can probably see why.

Although I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from having 'very big plans', are you sure this is the kind of thing you want to start with (given your self-admission of being a 'noob')? As a rule of thumb, projects like this shouldn't be undertaken unless you're prepared to generate all the content yourself -- worst-case scenario is, you'll have to do exactly this. Which isn't so bad, regarding the amount of creative control one retains in the situation, but I digress...

;)

Jayextee said:

Derp, I must have skip-read over where you mentioned 'soundtrack' and 'audio'. My bad.

Nah, I didn't take any offence; I just misinterpreted your placeholder textures for an indication of the final 'look'. After a glance at my own project, you can probably see why.

Although I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from having 'very big plans', are you sure this is the kind of thing you want to start with (given your self-admission of being a 'noob')? As a rule of thumb, projects like this shouldn't be undertaken unless you're prepared to generate all the content yourself -- worst-case scenario is, you'll have to do exactly this. Which isn't so bad, regarding the amount of creative control one retains in the situation, but I digress...

;)

Ok

Yeah, it was actually my own stupidity for not mentioning "image not representive of final product" :D Though now i've added a info about "Textures to change when texturer is found". But now i can very well see why you understood it that way. So in the end it was my bad ;)

I consider myself as a noob with game development, so i'm atleast not promising too much to anyone. I mean i have watched Cbubz's doom builder tutorials and those videos will pretty much allow me already to create any kinda maps i want to. I just don't really have skill in texturing, scripting (without constant copying from eg. Chubz tutorials), modelling i guess i could maybe do but the first ones would look pretty horrible :D. Music-side not so noob for me anymore, because i could probably re-create some of the original DOOM tunes also (i don't mean the midi ones ;) ). The actual real songs by Sonic Clang.

But i'm pretty sure that i atleast find an texturer, which helps alot already. Because in my eyes, i can already then start on building all the 5 levels (or remaining 4) and have textures in them, so i know already what that part of the level is going to be.

Just btw. How many levels your game has? So maybe i get some sort of better understanding. Also are they on the same scale as that one forexample that i've posted? Because the level is pretty big to be honest. And that same scale or bigger the rest four levels are also going to be.

edit: Forgot about that last part.

If it goes to that, that i have to make all by myself, then it goes to that. Atleast that will be a real challenge for me then. And something where i just have to learn all the stuff to be able to make it :D But i would just think that on the biggest doomforum in the world, i would find atleast one texturer :D Though, i guess you never know..

Just want to shoot in and say that what you are looking for (SCRIPTERS, TEXTURERS, ANIMATORS, MODELLERS) is all the hard work. The level designing and music making is the easy parts. It may (read: WILL) be very hard to find anyone who is willing to dedicate lots of time and energy to an unknown and still very undefined project as this. "Inspired by Doom and Quake" just wont cut it, Im pretty sure, as we "old Doomworlders" have seen these projects pop up on regular basis over the years.

Also, I know you are aiming for old school, but your level desin example is just cramped corridors, basically. Dont know how much interest that will spark either.

Good luck though ;)

quakke said:

Music-side not so noob for me anymore, because i could probably re-create some of the original DOOM tunes also (i don't mean the midi ones ;) ). The actual real songs by Sonic Clang.

I like you, you're funny.

(The original Doom tunes are the MIDI by Bobby Prince. Sonic Clang is just one name in a loooong list of remixers.)

Consider making some levels with the original textures first and getting some feedback and experience from doing so. The general design from the overhead shot looks like it will make a good techbase level.