Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom 64 for Doom II

BaronOfStuff said:

Yeah, good luck with that. Without new instrument patches or a soundfont, such things just aren't possible. And last time I checked, there's no real way to get vanilla Doom to use a custom soundfont exclusively. By all means I'm in favour of putting in the odd relatively creepy (or should I say atmospheric) track or so -- think along the lines of E1M5, E2M4, etc. -- but generally speaking there are going to be more 'conventional' music themes in this.

it's not IM-possible to make a soundtrack reminiscent to Doom 64's, though (see Fisk's and my example track, although i believe my link might be broken at this point). i won't fight for the right to get it to happen, though i think it'd be a bit of a shame if a Doom 64-styled project wouldn't be using Doom 64-styled MIDIs.

Technically it's not a Doom 64 style project though; it's Doom II styled.

I've listened to Fisk's MIDI (sadly the link to yours has expired), and something like that's fine if used infrequently (for special maps or whatever). The issue isn't with compositions, but with how limited the sound is with the basic MIDI instruments; you can only take those patches so far before you're just retreading old ground. A full soundtrack of that (30 maps) would be a bore on the ears.

Actually, it would also depend strongly on the soundfont you use. Since only a few voices would be needed, and if those are using instruments that suck with the soundfont, it sounds like total garbage. I just realized when trying Fisk's test track.

NightFright said:

Actually, it would also depend strongly on the soundfont you use. Since only a few voices would be needed, and if those are using instruments that suck with the soundfont, it sounds like total garbage. I just realized when trying Fisk's test track.

i'm not sure what you mean, but the problem with using a different soundfont for specialized tracks (or hell, most MIDI tracks in general) is that most MIDIs are composed specifically with the Roland Canvas soundset in mind. therefor, it'll always sound off when playing the MIDI back with anything but that. most general MIDIs sound fine, but i can't fathom how my or Fisk's tracks would sound like without Roland.

BaronOfStuff said:

Technically it's not a Doom 64 style project though; it's Doom II styled.

I've listened to Fisk's MIDI (sadly the link to yours has expired), and something like that's fine if used infrequently (for special maps or whatever). The issue isn't with compositions, but with how limited the sound is with the basic MIDI instruments; you can only take those patches so far before you're just retreading old ground. A full soundtrack of that (30 maps) would be a bore on the ears.

my mistake, i thought this was supposed to emulate Doom 64 as closely as possible in Doom 2.

i'm not sure how limited a full soundtrack would sound like, though. i think it could be perfectly apt. but if the styles of our MIDIs don't fit with the general theme of the project, i can understand. i suppose for the secret maps they could be of use, perhaps.

may i ask what kind of soundtrack you DO want the project to have, then?

Pedro VC said:

Spawned Fear

Very nice remake. Spawned Fear is one of my favorites.

The only odd thing that I noticed was that the Pain Elementals in the exit room opened the door into the cage, where I could kill them at my leisure. Maybe make them deaf or something.

Hi--hope this isn't considered necrothreading since this is a project thread and the last post was less than a month ago. I'm super excited for this and would love to play through everything so far/help beta test. I downloaded everything posted in the thread but quite a few links are broken--most of BaronodStuff's maps (which sucks because I was really looking forward to those), Even Simpler, a few others...Is there any way I can get a WAD with everything stuffed in it, or even a zip with individual WADs?

I would also love to help out as well, but I am unfortunately not as intimate with D64's levels as I could be, nor am I particularly confident in my mapping ability. If the project still needs some help after I spend some time polishing my skills, however...

Thanks in advance.

Ragnor said:

It's rare to see anything Doom 64 based. Probably the second time ive seen anything from it outside the Absolution TC or 64 EX.

I'd like to see them PSXified myself.

This. For those of us who might enjoy Doom64 if things were more familiar. A PSX conversion would suit it better IMO, as the PSX and N64 versions shared the same "survival horror" theme. In a sense, Doom64 could be seen as an evolution of the PSX port of Doom.

Yeah, well, wait until the vanilla stuff's done first. Then we can start messing around redoing them as bonus maps for the PSX TC.

As for the missing maps (mine, at least), they've all been re-uploaded here in one zip for the time being. I'll copy/paste the original download list (and reupload these maps individually) later on.

BaronOfStuff said:

As for the missing maps (mine, at least), they've all been re-uploaded here in one zip for the time being. I'll copy/paste the original download list (and reupload these maps individually) later on. [/B]

Thanks--this fills most of the holes!

That's a great mod, some of the older download links don't work, but from the maps I've tried it's very good. The 3D part from level 7 was nicely accommodated in vanilla.
I'd like to see level 6. In the first room, there are lifts that make a 'X' shape and there's a cube hanging from the ceiling. I can't imagine the best way to replicate the mechanism of the rising floors in vanilla, but I guess that could be done with dummy sectors. I also think there's no perfect workaround for the turbo-rising floors over the pit in this map, which would be cool if it was possible in vanilla.
It will be interesting to see how it's done.

Edit: I also support the idea that monsters from Doom II should be replaced with Doom64's missing monsters.

I plan to get back to working on it (and compiling the current maps) soon enough, check in again around the end of the week and a new map should be ready.

axdoom1 said:

I also support the idea that monsters from Doom II should be replaced with Doom64's missing monsters.

Someone hasn't been reading the thread. The D64-exclusive monsters aren't being used for this project.

BaronOfStuff said:

The D64-exclusive monsters aren't being used for this project.

I read the thread, but how are you going create a good replica of map 28? I hoped to see a good vanilla compatible Doom 64 TC. Not that it isn't great, it's just that why do such a nice mod without the final boss? It like releasing a WAD without finishing it. Surprise, no Mother Demon on level 28!

axdoom1 said:

I read the thread, but how are you going create a good replica of map 28? I hoped to see a good vanilla compatible Doom 64 TC. Not that it isn't great, it's just that why do such a nice mod without the final boss? It like releasing a WAD without finishing it. Surprise, no Mother Demon on level 28!

If you ask me? Throw the Spider Mastermind in there. Who cares that much? We have no good sprites for it, and to use it, it'd have to be DEHACKED--a solution I'm personally not fond of in 2014. (Not that I'm involved in the project, but.)

I mean, I played through every level currently existing in the thread. Some of them had Revenants and Archviles and stuff in it, which I don't mind.

After long hiatus I've continued on my stuff.
Early preview of Map17.
Map stays the way it was supposed to be, given the engine's nature, but I take freedoms in architecture and additional secrets if I see fit.

Also, maybe this is just me, but I really feel like the lighting in Map01 needs toned down--a LOT. D64 in general is known for its darkness, but this seems like it's trying to compensate so much that the level actually becomes too bright. Several rooms are set to 255 or 224 brightness, indoors, with no visible light sources, and even random hallways are set to high levels like 176. It doesn't just make it not feel like D64, it feels downright amateurish, and doesn't really give the collective package the best start. The rest of the maps don't really have this problem.

I went ahead and relighted the level myself, and I can provide you guys with it, but if not, that's cool.

Ooo, yea that's a lot better Da Werecat! The mountains look more like mountains now :D

You know, those other mountains you made could still be useful in some capacity. They did have a bone-like quality to them, and I could see that working in some sort of gothic/hellish sky texture (dunno if it would be useful to this project, but still).

Another day, another dollar.

Werecat - beautiful pixel art! Love the color shading. Sky looks a hair too cute though.

I know I said I'd have something else for this done by now but I've been horribly distracted by various other things lately, so I'm still not quite finished with Outpost Omega or any other stuff just yet. Maybe this weekend will see something though...

axdoom1 said:

So?

Are you saying that you'd prefer an essentially inferior version of Doom 64, with a bunch of Doom II stuff that could potentially be put to good use in adding to the levels instead all hacked up for the sole purpose of of recreating one monster that appears only at the very end?

The idea of following Doom 64 as close as possible -- at the expense of certain Doom II content -- just leaves me cold. It'd just be a total waste of an opportunity to do something new with the maps and mix the action up a bit.

Da Werecat said:

E1 sky, second take.

Now this, I like a lot.

BaronOfStuff said:

Are you saying that you'd prefer an essentially inferior version of Doom 64, with a bunch of Doom II stuff that could potentially be put to good use in adding to the levels instead all hacked up for the sole purpose of of recreating one monster that appears only at the very end?

Nightmare Imps could also be recreated and Lost Souls could be made more aggressive. TCs generally use dehacked patches that change the behavior of certain elements of the game, so I can't see what's the problem with it.

The idea of following Doom 64 as close as possible -- at the expense of certain Doom II content -- just leaves me cold. It'd just be a total waste of an opportunity to do something new with the maps and mix the action up a bit.

On the contrary side, doing these maps with Doom II stuff is also a total waste of an opportunity to do a faithful Doom 64 conversion for vanilla Doom.