Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Choose 2 monsters for Doom from Doom 2

If you could add two monsters exclusive to Doom 2 to incorporate it into the original Doom, what would you choose? For me I would add the Former Commando and the Hell Knight so there is variety and a down HPed version where Barons are typically used.

Archvile and Revenant, simply because each adds a completely different dynamic to battle. Ironic that I picked my favourite and least favourite monsters.

Former Commando and revenant. Both are dangerous without being laborious to fight - even without an SSG. Would have been good if these were added retrospectively in Ultimate Doom in the same way as PlayStation Doom did.

I have in mind two pairs:

Pain Elemental & Revenant
Chaingunner & Arachnotron

Former Commandos do feel appropriate to Doom 1 and would add a bit more challenge to the early levels. My other pick would probably be Arachnotrons which I feel would have been great during the Inferno levels. Think about it, you play through Inferno battling all these robot spider things, then finally you reach E3M8 and you meet the biggest one of them all, the Spider Mastermind. It would be an epic build-up. Kind of like when you first play The Shores of Hell you think the Baron of Hells are the strongest enemies, until you meet the Cyberdemon.

Rev + Manc

While Rev + HK seems like an obvious pair, using one of only two choices to pick a monster that is essentially like a Baron in all aspects save for hit points would feel wasteful to me, when there's so many worthy monsters in Doom 2 (all of them, really).

Barons can replace HKs in almost any situation with a high monster threat, and when it's about lone encounters Cacos can pitch in with almost the same function (straight projectile monster with about the same size and amount of HP, main difference being the flying).

Rev and Manc both bring interesting firing patterns where projectile avoidance gets more involved than strafing in one direction.

Although that is looking at it from a gameplay perspective alone... Thematically, no doubt chaingunner + arachnotron would be a better fit.

Mancubus because
1 there cool
2 there fat (cant get thru tight spaces :P)

and

Archnotron because
1 there cooler
2 there spiderdemon midgets

Doominator2 said:

Mancubus because
1 they're cool
2 they're fat (can't get through tight spaces :P)

and

Archnotron because
1 they're cooler
2 they're spiderdemon midgets

FTFY

Chaingunner and archvile. Both for the sake of spicing up the gameplay and forcing the player to run more and play more strategically. I'd introduce them both in E1 already. Archvile would be well introduced inside the E1M4 blue key building.

Baron and archvile would just make for a terror-bringing pair.

Hell Knights, because they're Hell Knights.

And Archviles, because they're sort of cool.

Archviles because they're cool
Pain Elementals because they're annoying

Mostly because they have interesting superpowers !

Pain Elementals look kinda stupid in Doom 2 ... the Freedoom "soul cage" version is much better !

Xaser said:

Megasphere
Hanging Body (guts removed)

Monsters, dude.

For me it would be arch-vile and chaingunners, because plutonia.

I'd second phmls post but I feel as though mancs take too long to kill without an ssg so I'm gonna say chaingun guy instead.

thematically, for some reason I can't see revenants belonging anywhere but the crusher. They seem to look out of place everywhere. So in an aesthetic sense I might say pain elemental. But ultimately its chaingun guy and revenant for me.

I think a pain elemental would have been nice to have from the beginning (Doom 1). That way, it explains where all those random lost souls come from. Plus, I think they're a very, very good fit for Inferno.

The problem with the first Doom's menagerie is that the balance is all off. Easy guy, easy guy, pretty easy guys, oh crap Baron. It needs a lot more meat in the middle tier, which is what Doom 2 tried to address (and did so fairly well). That said, I almost wonder if maybe the nightmare spectre from PSX Doom would have been a good way to beef up the lower end of the enemy lineup. Plus, they're very effective in darker areas. I think they'd really shine in E2.

BaronOfStuff said:

Commander Keen
Wolfenstein SS

While we're on joke responses, how about Romero's head on a stick? No need for any IoS walls. Just pepper those babies throughout the levels.

Job said:

While we're on joke responses, how about Romero's head on a stick? No need for any IoS walls. Just pepper those babies throughout the levels.

and with brutal doom you'd pick up romero's head and throw it at enemies.

@ topic: chaingunner and revenant.

chaingunner works well for ep.1 which is full of former humans and rather technologically looking, and the revenant for the hellish ep.3

Pirx said:

and with brutal doom you'd pick up romero's head and throw it at enemies.

In Brutal Doom? Nah. You'd gouge out his eyes and skull **** him for a finisher, then impale a nearby enemy with the stick.

Easy choice, archvile and revenants. Will miss mancubuses, chaingunners and arachnatrons, but they can easily be replaced with revs/cacos/barons, human hitscanners, and spider masterminds respectively. Archviles and revenants because they add an extra dimension to the game play: homing missiles, verticle blasts from distances, resurrection of monsters, and both are ridiculously versatile monsters to use allowing for a huge range of difficulty levels in gameplay scenarios.

Reading every post, it seems every bad guy from Doom2 has been picked many times over.

This should have been a poll.

Aesthetically speaking, arch-vile and either pain elemental or chaingunners. Arachnotrons, revenants, and mancubuses are tech-demon, which in Doom the First only exist as bosses. Commander keens and Nazis are right out since they're Easter eggs. Hell knights are kind of boring when looking to increase variety, since they're just a weaker baron.

I would choose Chaingunners and Hell knights. The Arachnotron has a too big radius, the Revenant has a bad height and the Mancubuse has a pre-determined firing pattern, so I won't choose them for Doom 1. Arch-viles would be too rare because it's a very strong monster.

There is only one monster I would add to Doom and that would be the Arch Vile. Bu if i had to add another I'd probably pick the revenant.

Definietly Pain Elemental, in E3, to explain he lost souls.

Second would be either Chaingunner, or Hell Knight.

Archvile would also fit, but only in E3. No techdemons though, keep that for D2/E4 where earth tech is being assimilated and used by the demons. In E1 to 3, the only tech was on boss monsters, as if it was experimental and reserved for baddest of the bad.