Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Platinum Shell said:

One thing I really wish Doom 2 would have kept would be the intermission screens. They were cool as fuck, especially on a young, imaginative mind.

Same here. The fact that Doom 2 doesn't have intermission screens makes the game feel like just a bunch of levels, rather than an actual journey. Just knowing your basic geography in the game, added to the atmosphere. In fact, if it's possible, I think it would be great if someone made a mod for Doom 2 which split the 32 levels into episodes and gave us intermission map screens.

Doominator2 said:

how did sigvatr get banned?

If you look at his post history, it should become blatant soon enough!

Imma 'senior member' now!

A lot of you forum regulars are becoming senior members so fast it's starting to scare me. I don't really post that often myself.

On topic:

I found out that Herian 2 is actually compatible with PrBoom+ (thanks TimeOfDeath!)

Fellowzdoomer said:

What's after member?

Evil Member, at 666 posts. At 667 is Forum Regular.

You probably shouldn't pay so much attention at post count, just remember what happened to joe-ilya after spamming that alphabet thread.

By the way, I just found out there's a massive HOM at the beginning of MAP01 (thanks joe-ilya for pointing it out).

Luke Dacote said:

Same here. The fact that Doom 2 doesn't have intermission screens makes the game feel like just a bunch of levels, rather than an actual journey. Just knowing your basic geography in the game, added to the atmosphere. In fact, if it's possible, I think it would be great if someone made a mod for Doom 2 which split the 32 levels into episodes and gave us intermission map screens.

The lack of an intermission screen made "Thy Flesh Consumed" feel a bit tacked on, too. Which it was. Granted, Doom 2 came out a little under a year after the first, but surely an extra week of work could have made an intermission screen possible. I think this would be a great project to implement. A "Thy Flesh Consumed" intermission screen would be cool as fuck too, but considering how awkwardly it fits in the Doom canon (where the hell does it take place, anyway?), this would be no easy task.

But it looks like a photo of a real life autumn field with trees along with pixel art tacked on, it looks kind of odd.

The official intermission screens are the same odd mix of pixel art and touched up photos. Especially Hell.

The custom made intermission screen looks extremely good regarding that it's user made content.
Slightly too blurry - nonetheless I'm impressed.

Guest Unregistered account

I'd just expect an official Thy Flesh Consumed intermission map would just be an alternative hell style level. As far as I can tell, the whole of episode 4 is just more hell levels.

Hurricyclone said:

A lot of you forum regulars are becoming senior members so fast it's starting to scare me. I don't really post that often myself.

Dude, It was a year ago since I signed in, why not?

Joe667 said:

I'd just expect an official Thy Flesh Consumed intermission map would just be an alternative hell style level. As far as I can tell, the whole of episode 4 is just more hell levels.

Perhaps the Thy maps represent an ancient part of hell that the demons stopped using for a time, and since Doom Guy fucked up their current hell the remaining demons who weren't killed nor sent to earth had no choice but to fall back there to try and stop him again.

mrthejoshmon said:

Arachnotrons beat barrons at infighting.

Made a quick test level. If the baron can't come close to the arachnotron that the arachnotron usually wins (regardless of who starts the infight). If both move around freely, though, the baron wins (also regardless of who starts the infight). Didn't do very extensive testing, though.

Avoozl said:

Perhaps the Thy maps represent an ancient part of hell that the demons stopped using for a time, and since Doom Guy fucked up their current hell the remaining demons who weren't killed nor sent to earth had no choice but to fall back there to try and stop him again.

Well, for me TFC takes place on earth, as the orange sky is the same we can see in the ending screen after beating the Spiderdemon.

There's ICKWALL7 but there's no ICKWALL6, I found it by looking at the ICKWALL collection while I was texturing MAP11 of DOOM0.

Doom64 Lost Souls explode (like Rockets) when shot from the Pain Elemental, but can't move. No wonder I get a lot of damage when I hide behind a thin wall when the Pain Elemental dies. Now I finally know why.

No. They are cyborgs, not robots. They have biological brains, able to make decisions. The wrong decisions... ;)

Shadow Hog said:

Any details on what exactly was changed? I once tried to recompile Mocha Doom to run at "just" 70 Hz, but took care to alter e.g. projectyle speeds, player movement, distance checking etc. to take the doubled TICRATE into account. The result? Gameplay was indeed smoother, yet different than what you get from an "uncapped fps" source port. There also were noticeable problems with wallrunning/collision checking, and it was very easy getting stuck in the walls, like you can see in the vid.

Also, whoever did the recompiling obviously took care of Doomguy's movement, but not the monsters', and I think I can understand why: at least in my attempts I defined the speedup in terms of a TICRATE multiplier, so for 70 Hz, all movement distances/speeds would be halved and all delays would be doubled. Of course, this stumbles into a problem if movements go below 1 integer map unit, unless you hack the code in several places to allow you to define fractional movement amounts, so monsters and other stuff can only get so slow.

Quite evidently, what was not changed includes how gravity is applied every tic. 1000Hz Doomguy jumps like a neutronium balloon.