Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
garrettlynch

Setting no ammo or weapons

Hi

I'm using a combination of XWE and Eureka to make a few modifications to a wad and understanding most of what I'm doing but a little stuck on how to modify the players start ammo count (I want to set it to zero) and weapon (I want to set it to fists and no other weapon options available). in XWE should I be using scripts or defining a class - how? My WAD seems to have no DECORATE or MAPINFO and when I create them with the following from this thread (http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/61000-how-can-i-make-the-player-start-with-no-weapons/) it does not work.

MAPINFO

GameInfo
{
PlayerClasses = "MyDoomPlayer"
}

DECORATE

ACTOR MyDoomPlayer : DoomPlayer
{
Player.StartItem "Fist"
}

Thanks in advance.
Garrett

Copypasting the lines you posted into a wad works for me. link

You have to use a ZDoom-compatible port for the effect to work. i.e. ZDoom, GZDoom, Skulltag, Zandronum.

If you don't want to make a ZDoom level, you can get a similar effect with DeHackEd. Here are two quick patches:
https://www.mediafire.com/?um5kri2q6r8lc5w

noammo.deh starts you with 0 bullets. If you find bullets you can use the pistol as normal.

nopistol.deh starts you with 0 bullets and replaces the pistol with a copy of the fist. You will never have the pistol this way. I don't think there's a way to have a pistol pick-up using just dehacked, without replacing another weapon, unfortunately.

(both dehacked files are in that zip even though the zip name is noammo.deh.zip)

These files were made with WhackEd4.

For most modern ports, you can include the right dehacked file in your wad as a lump named DEHACKED and it will get loaded automatically. For Chocolate Doom the dehacked file needs to be loaded with -deh, and for vanilla the user needs a copy of DeHackEd.exe to patch the Doom exe file.

Right so I think what I'm testing through is the issue. I'm using the Doomsday Engine. I don't want to work on an exe as I want this to be playable through as many engines as possible and cross platform. IS there a way to do this on a wad that's not specific to zdoom compatible ports?

thanks in advance.
Garrett

Doomsday doesn't support ZDoom's MAPINFO or Decorate.

The below 'should' work in Doomsday; it should start the player with the fists selected and no pistol or bullets.

However, Deng team appear to have made a mistake somewhere, causing the player to always be given the fist and pistol regardless of what the weapon info says. I shall report that oversight.

There is no way to define a pistol pickup in Doomsday, though one can kludge it with a blank pickup and an XG def running in the background that calls a console command to give the weapon, when the pickup type is removed from play.

Weapon Info {
0 {
Type = "noammo";
Up = "PUNCHUP";
Down = "PUNCHDOWN";
Ready = "PUNCH";
Atk = "PUNCH1";
Flash = "NULL";
Owned = "1";
Static = "0";
};
1 {
Type = "clip";
Per shot = "1";
Up = "PISTOLUP";
Down = "PISTOLDOWN";
Ready = "PISTOL";
Atk = "PISTOL1";
Flash = "PISTOLFLASH";
Owned = "0";
Static = "0";
};
};

Values {
Player {
Weapon = "0";
Init Ammo {
Clip = "0";
Shell = "0";
Cell = "0";
Misl = "0";
};
};
}

Dehacked is the 'lowest common denominator' and is supported by most ports, however, Dehacked can't do exactly what you are seeking.

Generally speaking, most port's methods of doing most things shouldn't conflict with each other (i.e Doomsday will ignore any ZDoom specific stuff and ZDoom will ignore any Doomsday specific stuff).

The below 'should' work in Doomsday

Where do I put it? Do I create a new file in XWE called something specific?

Generally speaking, most port's methods of doing most things shouldn't conflict with each other (i.e Doomsday will ignore any ZDoom specific stuff and ZDoom will ignore any Doomsday specific stuff).

That could be my solution then - specific fixes for specific ports.

thanks in advance
Garrett

Create a notepad file with any name you wish, and rename the extension to '.ded' (Doomsday engine definition). Then load it along side your wad file the same way you would a wad (for instance, in Snowberry, install it as an add-on).

If you wish to place it in a wad, place it in a lump called 'DD_DEFNS'.

This is the Doomsday Wiki, which contains most Doomsday specific editing information:
http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Main_Page

Dehacked patches will work with basically all versions of doom. I'm not sure the best way to load the patch with Doomsday but I got it to work using the commandline by typing doomsday.exe -deh nopistol.deh

If you want your level to be compatible with the original doom.exe/doom2.exe, you need to distribute the patch separately. Otherwise you can just load it into a wad and name it DEHACKED and it will be applied when the wad is loaded.

Vermil said:

If you wish to place it in a wad, place it in a lump called 'DD_DEFNS'.

This is the Doomsday Wiki, which contains most Doomsday specific editing information:
http://www.dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Main_Page

Fantastic, this works for me - now that I know where it goes I can tweek. Thanks very much Vermil.

plums said:

Dehacked patches will work with basically all versions of doom...If you want your level to be compatible with the original doom.exe/doom2.exe, you need to distribute the patch separately.

Right, I may end up using this as a solution, not sure yet as I have modified the levels as well so I'd ether have to provide a .wad and a .deh and explain how they are used or a .exe and a .deh. I'll see which combined solution is simplest.

thanks both for your help.
Garrett

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but since the topic is closely related; how does one disable punching completely? When the player runs out of ammo, I want him to have no way to defend themselves, other than running away.

Doomsday hasn't yet fixed the bug I mentioned above; maintaining editing features are currently very low priority during the rewrite (i.e if they are broken by the rewrite, they may not be fixed for some time), so this currently won't work, but should work and will work when the bug is fixed.

In Doomsday, add 'Owned = "0";' to the fist weapon info.

Vermil said:

The below 'should' work in Doomsday; it should start the player with the fists selected and no pistol or bullets.

No, it should not and will not work because your syntax is incorrect.

There is no top-level 'Weapon Info' definition type in Doomsday (cf. Generator). There is, however, a 'Weapon Info' value block within Values.

Edit: Although, I have just fixed some formatting errors in the syntax example on the wiki, however... (I suspect this happened when we imported it from the now-ancient Tiki Wiki incarnation).

Indeed. I was accidently testing with the two blocks the wrong way around. Doh!

This will work, as the OP intended. No bug.

Values {
Player {
Weapon = "0";
Init Ammo {
Clip = "0";
Shell = "0";
Cell = "0";
Misl = "0";
};
};
Weapon Info {
0 {
Type = "noammo";
Up = "PUNCHUP";
Down = "PUNCHDOWN";
Ready = "PUNCH";
Atk = "PUNCH1";
Flash = "NULL";
Owned = "1";
Static = "0";
};
1 {
Type = "clip";
Per shot = "1";
Up = "PISTOLUP";
Down = "PISTOLDOWN";
Ready = "PISTOL";
Atk = "PISTOL1";
Flash = "PISTOLFLASH";
Owned = "0";
Static = "0";
};
};
}

I will also point out that with DED, it is not a good idea to needlessly redefine values which are not needed for "your" mod because this may cause unnecessary problems for users if they attempt to use multiple addons together.

Kontra Kommando said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but since the topic is closely related; how does one disable punching completely? When the player runs out of ammo, I want him to have no way to defend themselves, other than running away.

Not sure if you wanted a DeHackEd patch or not; I can make one for you if you want, just let me know exactly what changes you want. DECORATE would be easy too.

DaniJ said:

I will also point out that with DED, it is not a good idea to needlessly redefine values which are not needed for "your" mod because this may cause unnecessary problems for users if they attempt to use multiple addons together.

Also true for DECORATE, and probably any other scripting systems.

plums said:

Not sure if you wanted a DeHackEd patch or not; I can make one for you if you want, just let me know exactly what changes you want. DECORATE would be easy too.

That's really cool of you to offer, but I actually want to have the fists in there now. I realized, it wasn't so much of a problem for gameplay once I made some significant improvements to my custom enemy (The xenomorph). Before you could just punch them out, like any old bum Pinky demon. I made improvements, making the attack range 64 (makes sense with their tail attack); upped their speed to 30; and added A_FastChase. Now, its a much more formidable enemy, and more worthy of the monster its supposed to be. They are tough to fight, especially with a slow weapon like the shotgun.

They kinda looked funny, strafing around the floor at first (Sorta like Michael Jackson Moon Walking.). But once I upped the speed, it looked more natural.