Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

I agree with Obsidian, this is not a convenient texture for areas you can approach, such structured textures are better for a distant part.

After burning out on my thy flesh consumed wad for the time being, I decided to make some quick fire doom 2 maps in a slightly different theme (UAC base in a volcano), just some pics from what is map02

This will be a 1 episode (11 map) wad in the end ( 4 maps complete with another in progress so far)

Why, thanks.

esselfortium said:

If I remember correctly this is a vanilla project?

Well, at least it was. I'm still trying to recreate my thought process when I made technical and style-related decisions. It was probably something along the lines of "durr, let's make the levels open and picturesque, even though you've chosen to go all vanilla while having approx. zero experience".

I've been thinking about switching to Boom family.

I will love you forever in a strictly platonic way if you can pull off vanilla compatibility with this puppy. Seriously.

It is like someone - or something - is watching you. From deep within, you feel an unnatural urge to force the eye shut.

You notice that some of the walls here look rather...off. These are catacombs, you conclude that these changes in rock composition, which seem to be just everywhere, are burial chambers for the hundreds who lie here.
But glowing blood? Fleshed out eyes? Unfortunately, it's looking very much like it's not people that are buried here...but, I mean, that's okay if they're dead anyway. Right?

Obsidian said:

I'd try using a few similar looking textures in there, the blanket texturing doesn't quite work.

The early parts of the map has MFLR8_2 mixed in, so I might use that for the floor here as well. But I wanted all surfaces here to represent rocks. However, I had the same train of thought initially too, until Chrozoron also suggested the same.

The problem is just that this part of the map is supposed to be higher up on the mountain that the map takes place in, so a rocky floor surface sounds more appropriate to me than dirt, despite the texture repitition.

Dutch Doomer said:

Looks very cool bro'.

Nicely clean cut and interesting layouts IMO.

LigH said:

I agree with Obsidian, this is not a convenient texture for areas you can approach, such structured textures are better for a distant part.

Say no more! I will change them - or perhaps stretch the distance a mile or two.

Did you mean the rock texture, or the metal texture?

Started listening to some Doom midis I have laying around and I got inspired to start a new map. Again for PW. Something Post Mortem'ish this time. 50% done I guess.

That looks pretty cool and like a lof of fun, darkreaver. Not too pleased with the look of the yellow areas in the ceiling, but that's only nitpicking or a matter of taste. Keep it up!

gemini09 said:

Did you mean the rock texture, or the metal texture?

The texture looking like rock shards, ROCK4 (RW35_1). If you are close to it, the 3D impression gets lost because you see how flat the wall as such is. Its effect is more credible in a distance.

I have taken a liking to the yellow crackle as a light source in cave/hell/stone settings. Feel free to not like it though ;)

gemini09 said:

Looks very cool bro'.

Nicely clean cut and interesting layouts IMO.

Thanks, I never knew STAR textures were so difficult to align on angled walls. Having lots of fun working on this map, vanilla Doom makes everything so much easier. Screw limit removing :p

Looks like the most pervert mod I've ever seen... as a German, I'd call it "DOOM Manager". ;)

I guess it's for the knuckle duster? Or maybe it's the actual fist, Zharkov style.

I would make the notches a different color, personally. White just seems too bland. Maybe green, or a green-to-red gradient of some sort.

Gez said:

I guess it's for the knuckle duster? Or maybe it's the actual fist, Zharkov style.

It's just to upgrade the fist's stats. The weapons without a level indicator are not yet owned, and as such much more expensive. The UI does need more work.

The idea so far is to take Doom, mix in some generic RPG experience\leveling elements, add to that upgradeable weapons, a large hub of maps filled with cannon fodder, and money everywhere.

Fortunately, after having not touched it in over a month and realising how monumental a task was, I abandoned this very idea for GZDoom :P

Considering how much I enjoyed Exl's DoP maps, this simple shot is still enough to get me pretty excited :D

exl said:

The idea so far is to take Doom, mix in some generic RPG experience\leveling elements, add to that upgradeable weapons, a large hub of maps filled with cannon fodder, and money everywhere.

yes. this.

Still under heavy maintenance but I woke up with a brain wave this morning after remembering an old ST map I loved.

For the same project but a different map. Bare in mind there's a lot of place holder stuff and that outside area needs that horizon trick done too it as that wall is too big.

That looks pretty cool, Springy. Is that a wall texture you used for the green "wire" stuff on the raised floor section in the first shot?

MFG38 said:

That looks pretty cool, Springy. Is that a wall texture you used for the green "wire" stuff on the raised floor section in the first shot?

Thanks, still needs a lot more work, I am just finishing the layout first before the serious detailing begins. To answer your question about the cap point; yes it is it's a variation of TEKWALL4 I believe, I am using Aguares' (not sure if I spelled that right) great black and green texture pack which can be found at Realm 667 I think it's quite a new one, (I haven't seen it there before).

I have that texture pack too, though I felt it's rather limited. Quite a lot of textures that could go into that. Nice second shot though