Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

Any wads with ROTT-style music?

I'm not looking for anything in particular, I just want a wad with ROTT sounding music because I liked it more than Doom's music.

P.S. Don't kill me for saying that.

Use this as a reference if you don't know what it sounds like:

So much more 80's than the Doom music. That riff gets stuck in my head pretty frequently, I always liked the ROTT theme.

not to my recollection (aside from Escape Velocity already mentioned)... did Return of the Triad have any new music in it, or was it just new levels?

Doomhuntress said:

not to my recollection (aside from Escape Velocity already mentioned)... did Return of the Triad have any new music in it, or was it just new levels?

It used the ROTT OST if I remember correctly. Also, HR uses ROTT music as an optional add on named "HR mus". As for wads that have "sound a likes" I can't think of any to be honest.

Doomhuntress said:

I played it relatively recently and I only recall the original Rise of the Triad music.

EDIT: ninja'd :)

Springy said:

It used the ROTT OST if I remember correctly. Also, HR uses ROTT music as an optional add on named "HR mus". As for wads that have "sound a likes" I can't think of any to be honest.

i knew that music initially as "hell revealed music"as I played rott only some time later. Anyway it's one of the best music add ons ever imo, it fits that brutal style of hr perfectly.

Memfis said:

There are none, the style is dead, nobody can make awesome arcadey songs like that anymore.

Especially the song used in the first level of ROTT. Super catchy.

If we want to talk ROTT-style music, i.e. tracks that weren't the originals but sound like 'em, the best example I can think of offhand is Jimmy's "Escape Velocity," the in-game music for Back to Saturn X E1:MAP13. It was specifically designed to sound ROTT-y since the original placeholder track for the map was FASTWAY and none of us could un-hear it. :P

Here's a direct link to the track (hopefully Jimmy doesn't mind the hotlink):
http://jimmy.the-powerhouse.net/MIDI/Projects/In-Progress/Back%20to%20Saturn%20X/Escape%20Velocity.mid

Gez said:

No, only 74.29% ROTT. It's 25.71% Doom II.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hell_Revealed#Soundtrack

Yeah, the amazing music progression just gone over and many later maps got missed out on it. Too bad, since exactly maps 21-23 would have needed it worst!!

Enough of the preaching. Dimensions of Time (1998's work of Matthew Tropiano) also does have some of these kickass tracks.

MajorRawne said:

Oh, uh, uhh uhh....

ALIEN VENDETTA

And also does...

KAMA SUTRA

Cell said:

Yeah, the amazing music progression just gone over and many later maps got missed out on it. Too bad, since exactly maps 21-23 would have needed it worst!!

Because of this, I actually created a Hell Revealed hotfix WAD for my own personal use, which merges the music WAD into the HR WAD file, replaces the leftover Doom II tracks and also includes some RotT tracks that weren't originally used in HR. (The organ in KISS Off is just too fitting for the church-like atmosphere of HR Map20.)

Megamur said:

I actually created a Hell Revealed hotfix WAD for my own personal use, which merges the music WAD into the HR WAD file, replaces the leftover Doom II tracks and also includes some RotT tracks that weren't originally used in HR.

Sounds like an interesting project. What music did you pick for the remaining levels?

Another ROTT-style track by Jimmy is "Warsword" from Speed of Doom map 5, appropriately enough since the map is a semi-remake of Alien Vendetta's map 6 which uses music from ROTT.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Sounds like an interesting project. What music did you pick for the remaining levels?

MAP21: Work Day
MAP22: Shards
MAP23: Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary (I admit, I wasn't sure where to put this one)
MAP24: Watz Next
MAP25: Spray
MAP26: Mist Ache
MAP27: Excalibur
MAP28: Task Force
MAP29: Chant
MAP30: Hellero (obviously)

Can't say the listing is perfect, but it's better than the stock Doom II tracks being there.