Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
garrettlynch

texture outline

Hi

Having some problems with a texture, texture is displaying correctly/right size apart from a black outline like so:

http://www.asquare.org/in-progress/outline.png

I know I'm doing something stupid but just can't see what. My texture is:

57px wide x 34px high

and the line definition is:

56.57px wide x 34px high

Is it because the widths don't match precisely? or they aren't multiples of 2? or is it an issue with colours?

thanks in advance
Garrett

Garret, if your texture is flat, you can even use a 1x1 texture. But generally texture sizes are multiple of 8. Try changing the size of your texture, it will tile automatically because its flat, you don't need to match the line sizes.

I got it working but only by using the x and y offsets. The surface is flat. I'm not sure why but it really looks like the texture isn't tiling. If I set the offset to something like 20 pixels I get black not the texture a second time.

Garrett

That's because the texture patch is already set with the first value. You have to change the texture name and add image to textures lump again.

I did delete the reference from pnames and add it again after I brought the new texture in - does that not work then?

Is there a way to permanently delete references to a texture or patch so that i don't have to continually change texture names?

garrettlynch said:

Is there a way to permanently delete references to a texture or patch so that i don't have to continually change texture names?

If you mean changing invalid texture names in your map - quickest way is to use Find & Replace, which Eureka doesn't currently support.

hi, no I'm using XWE for importing the images and setting them up as textures then transferring to Eureka to apply the textures to Linedefs. Obviously deleting the reference to the texture in pnames isn't enough to permantently remove the texture - does it get listed somewhere else as well?

If you used SLADE 3, you could search and replace textures in all maps at once.

As for textures, they are defined in TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2, and composed from patches listed in PNAMES. Although a texture may have the same name as a patch, they are different things. Removing a name from PNAMES only means that textures using this patch now have an invalid definition, but the textures are still there.

In fact, deleting a patch will offset the patch number of all patches listed after it in PNAMES, which can invalidate a lot of other textures as well. I know that in SLADE 3's texture editor, a patch can be safely removed from PNAMES and the texture definitions will be updated accordingly.

Thanks for this. I can see the references in TEXTURE1 to my imported images so I'll clean. Slade 3 isn't an option for me as I'm on OSX but XWE through wine is working well for me.

Hm I don't know if there's a topic for Slade suggestions, but since its related to this subject, I'll post it here: an option to remove from texture1 and pnames lumps directly from image. I know it's just open and manually remove them, but maybe it's a good option since many wads seem to have patch and texture errors due to deleted images. Or a bit more invasive, but more practical: automatically remove it from texture1 and pnames lumps when related graphic is deleted. If you want to replace a graphic, use the import entry option.

Another thing that happens here is, when I edit texture1 or pnames lumps, Slade also saves my Textures lump, replacing some dots for commas, which are not recognized by ZDoom and crashing the game at start.

garrettlynch said:

Slade 3 isn't an option for me as I'm on OSX

SLADE should compile natively on OSX...

Darch said:

Hm I don't know if there's a topic for Slade suggestions

Best would be to use the GitHub issue tracker:
https://github.com/sirjuddington/SLADE/issues

Darch said:

Another thing that happens here is, when I edit texture1 or pnames lumps, Slade also saves my Textures lump, replacing some dots for commas, which are not recognized by ZDoom and crashing the game at start.

This is really, really weird.