Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hypr

large doom levels

there was a level called complex.wad and it was over 1000 sectors and cant be played in origional doom due to vesplane errors anyone know of any other large doom levels with upwards to 1000 sectors or more ?

anyone know of any other large doom levels with upwards to 1000 sectors or more

The levels in the Vrack series and the ReOL series have an ungodly number of sectors. They're structurally very large levels too, and can require a decent amount of time to complete. Source ports required

Some of the levels in The Darkest Hour are structurally very large, and can take quite a while to complete. Requires ZDooM.

Industrial has 2120 sectors and is huge and very difficult.If you don't cheat it will take you a long time to complete.Current lmp record is 2hr24m,that will easily fall but it takes ages to achieve familiarity:)

Yes and I thoroughly enjoyed all three.
Europa3 was over very quickly but a nice blast.

Mos Denra Spaceport (Map04) of The Darkest Hour has 2563 sectors.

In all my recent stuff, however, I've used sector "packing" so that identical sectors throughout the map are made part the same sector. This cuts down on the number of sectors, but still allows detailed work. Of course, my last 4 releases were purposely done for vanilla DooM2, so I had to be creative about detailing the areas without causing VPOs. A shitty and thankless job.

ill try these level suggestions when i get home , they sound like fun, a 2 or 3 i recommend thats large is

galaxia.wad rip-off.wad and bnbeyond.wad

i play these levels alot

they are pretty fun but watch out for bnbeyond.wad cause theres alot of monsters and you can run out of ammo very quickly but its a fun level

Does anyone know a wad called equinox.wad?

I think you would find it very enjoyable (it has it's vrackish moments) and the levels are mindboggling big. Just the very first visage blows you away. Features a flying saucer full of arch-viles too.

It is made by some guy who calls himself B.R.P.D. Does anyone know about other maps by that author?

equinox is cool, it was released only a few months ago. I've never heard of the dude who made it though.

ReX said:

In all my recent stuff, however, I've used sector "packing" so that identical sectors throughout the map are made part the same sector. This cuts down on the number of sectors, but still allows detailed work.

How exactly do you do that? I've been wondering that for a while.

Erik said:

equinox is cool, it was released only a few months ago. I've never heard of the dude who made it though.

Only, that it has a steep learning curve. Level 1 is trivial, even on UV and so is level 2 and 3, while the last levels are completely crazy. I also believe that it is impossible to do a maxkill on the last level.

the levels i suggested rip-off.wad galaxia.wad and bnbeyond.wad should be on major ftp sites hosting doom levels

rip-off.wad is like a yakworld setting not that rip-off.wad is full of bull like this wad is bigger than episode 1

galaxia.wad is in a space station about attack of giant spiders and such its a tough level took me 30 minutes to beat it

bnbeyond.wad is tougher than those 2 cause theres alot of enemies and not much ammo but its fun to play

these wads were made a long time ago also

I love galaxia.wad XD

As a sidenote..im slowly working on a doom level for EDGE called Doom island which will have a town,a village (maybe 2),a small airport,some farms and some docks and lots of empty space in between with rivers and forests and hills and stuff..not very original? maybe,but the catch here is its all gonna be on the same level!,no hubs or anything,just one massive space to battle in!

(Yes,its more of an experiment to see how far i can push the engine rather than a serious level XD)

I'm always kinda abivalent about Roger Ritenour's levels (Earth.wad, Galaxia.wad, Pleiades.wad, Phobos2.wad).

His levels always have some total awesome features, but then he also puts in some totally crap things for good measure.

Galaxia.wad is by far one of his best because it doesn't include any of his trademark ENDLESS WINDING LIGHTLESS ASHWALL TUNNELS THAT DOESN'T SHOW UP ON THE F***ING AUTOMAP!!!

Sorry I let my temper run away with me, but they are truly annoying. Another great wad by him is Phobos2. It does have some Ritenour'ish ashwall tunnels, but it's not as bad as some of his other levels.

Earth.wad has some truly amazing sights (like the castle on the hill), but the majority of the wad is barely playable crap.

Archvile64 said:

How exactly do you do that? I've been wondering that for a while.

It's fairly straightforward... when you group linedefs to create sectors, draw linedefs for several rooms at once. Then group them all together and smack 'insert' (or whatever).

Alternativly, change the sector references on existing sidedefs so that they point to a different sector with the same floor/ceiling height, flat textures, etc. It works well with things like several seperate toxic pools in the same room. Just make sure that the sectors you're grouping are all closed.

You have to be pretty keen om editing the sector references if you use Wadauthor. Occasionally it fux0rs all sector references up.

deathbringer said:

I love galaxia.wad XD

As a sidenote..im slowly working on a doom level for EDGE called Doom island which will have a town,a village (maybe 2),a small airport,some farms and some docks and lots of empty space in between with rivers and forests and hills and stuff..not very original? maybe,but the catch here is its all gonna be on the same level!,no hubs or anything,just one massive space to battle in!

(Yes,its more of an experiment to see how far i can push the engine rather than a serious level XD)

Good, as long it's realistic =)

Little Faith said:

I'm always kinda abivalent about Roger Ritenour's levels (Earth.wad, Galaxia.wad, Pleiades.wad, Phobos2.wad).

His levels always have some total awesome features, but then he also puts in some totally crap things for good measure.

Galaxia.wad is by far one of his best because it doesn't include any of his trademark ENDLESS WINDING LIGHTLESS ASHWALL TUNNELS THAT DOESN'T SHOW UP ON THE F***ING AUTOMAP!!!

Sorry I let my temper run away with me, but they are truly annoying. Another great wad by him is Phobos2. It does have some Ritenour'ish ashwall tunnels, but it's not as bad as some of his other levels.

Earth.wad has some truly amazing sights (like the castle on the hill), but the majority of the wad is barely playable crap.

I liked Phobos2.wad, it was quite cool, I just wish he would have made more than 4 levels for it.

Was Galaxia even made by Ritenour???

Yeah, Phobos2 was kinda good (especially level 3). The only map that was really plagued by ashwall tunnels was level 4.

But try to play some of the middle levels (the first and the last are cool) of his earth.wad (or was it earthzd.wad) and see that he is quite capable of producing some crap too.

The first area of the first level of earth.wad was good,then it all went downhill from there

and what was up with that bit where you drop off a ledge to get the blue key,and then you cant get back up without noclipping..surley he would have spotted that when playtesting?

as for phobos-wow is the only reaction there,i play that wad a lot and it never gets old!

Little Faith said:

You have to be pretty keen om editing the sector references if you use Wadauthor. Occasionally it fux0rs all sector references up.

Which is why you have to be very, very careful :)
I used to have this problem with WinDEU where, if you split a sector with obstacles into two, the obstacles get their references divided between the sectors - even if the dividing line is nowhere near the obstacle.
Sector-referencing allowed me to correct this in no-time.

Have you encountered many serious fuck-ups while fiddling with the references? The most common one, i think, is when people accidently use the 'swap sidedef' command when they meant 'flip linedef'