Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Scythe

MAP09 - Computer Storage

Easy, specially with all the ammo and health and stuff I brought from the previous map. In my honest opinion, the layout was subpar in this one. The way you're forced to follow in this techbase just doesn't seem natural with all the lifts, dropoffs etc. I guess that Erik Alm tried to imagine a "real functional base", but it didn't transform into good gameplay well. Secret non-secrets as usual, I no longer care, it just bugged me a bit that I was searching for a secret and then found out I just needed to grab the invisibility. (But fortunately, it stroke me soon.) I also noticed resemblance to E1M7 while playing, not in a specially impressive way though. The simple aesthetics still seem nice to me, as well difficulty (easy revenant encounters).

MAP09: Computer Storage
100% kills, 3/3 "secrets"

I actually like this layout a lot, lots of vertical movement, and while not quite a puzzle, takes a little bit of thought. There's also the chance to subvert a fair amount of the level by grabbing the red key through the window.

And yeah, the secret use here is annoying, I ran around the map a bunch before figuring out the last "secret" was the invisbility sphere (which I usually avoid because it makes it harder to dodge).

Continuing through to the end of Episode 1:

Map 07
Deadly

A very straightforward arena fight with Mancubi (had to look up if that was a real word) and Arachnatrons. I took them down with rockets, chaingunning, and the occasional shotgun blast. Pretty simple with continual play, though it feels like an SSG would make this a bit more fun (for some reason I missed it in Map 3 I guess). I do like how the tight quarters mean you have to be careful with your rocket usage. This one grew on me after repeated plays.

Map 08
Garden Base

Yet another little techbase that builds on the theme of open courtyards / outdoor space. I like how the map has you starting off on a platform and dropping down right away. You're in a shooting gallery, but not a particularly dangerous one if you move quickly. I'm anticipating future levels also use a shooting gallery to start a map, but at a much high threat level. If that's the case, it'll have been a great "setup" map. The standout moment of the map is certainly the final hallway. You can tell something is coming, but it's still a bit of a shock when chaingunners suddenly teleport into the alcoves lining the hall.

I don't like the level progression here though. Deadly feels like a boss map. Garden Base is a letdown after that, despite probably being the better map.

Map 09
Computer Storage

A pretty compact map that seems designed to introduce the player to Revenants. You meet them twice, once in semi-open space, and once in a hallway, but neither time do they post a particular challenge. There aren't really any highlights outside of those two encounters. I think there was a lost opportunity for a trap when you pick up the blue key - I was surprised not to have to deal with a monster closet or something there. I dislike the way Erik placed the switch to get up to yellow key - it just doesn't make sense on that wall, and it's not hard enough to be an actual puzzle. It's just annoying. I also dislike his use of blue trim on a door that doesn't require a blue key. A small thing given the map size, but still...

Map 10
The Lords

The boss map, complete with forced death to end the level.

Bleh. So far my least favorite map. This would have been a solid Doom E1 boss map, but it was overshadowed by Deadly in this episode, and it just doesn't seem up to snuff.

It looks crappy, really plain compared to other maps in the episode. And while it makes OK use of height, that height actually renders the Mancubi less dangerous. Barons are also a really boring enemy, especially when the solution to them is just to spam rockets because they're stuck on a narrow passageway.

Oh well. Looking forward to episode 2.

For me, the standouts in Episode 1 were Get Going as just a close to perfect Map 01, Pressure Point because of the explody imps, the crusher, and that cave fight, and Deadly, a fun little shooty rocket romp.

purist said:

Dylan and I played the first 13 levels in Co-op split screen (jumping the gun a bit, but I don't know when we will next be able to play). We hold somewhat contrasting views on Scythe.

Watched the first 7 maps so far. Choice stuff. "Slimy Rubbish," "Angry Doom Lad" -- what could be more fun than a family Doom dispute? Well, watching purist die comes close. ;D That's what you get for your anti-SSG blasphemy! :D

This was really fun stuff, and it made me really, really want to play these maps myself. They look pretty cool, though I realize now that I've played Deadly before.

So keep it coming, family of purist. Dylan has some skills!

I haven't felt like commenting on any specific map so far, but I'm really liking this wad. I don't know why I didn't play it sooner, I've seen it mentioned enough times.

Map 08 -- Garden Base - 100% Kills / 100% Secrets
Yes, pretty decent one. For some reason it's actually one of (if not the) first maps I think when I think of Scythe, even though there are far better (and far more unusual) maps in this set.....guess it just has a little je ne sai quois that makes it memorable, perhaps its texture scheme, which marries green grass, green Phobos composite, and those grimy green sewerbricks I like so much into a pleasing veridian medley, or perhaps it's because the dirt-cave with the combat armor always strikes me as being a casual Hell Revealed reference. It plods a bit if you play conservatively (e.g. you pick off everything you can see from each new vantage you reach before moving on), but goes down well if you Rambo it, grabbing the chaingun and beginning to dash the moment the game loads. Rocket ammo is quite well-judged, there's just enough of it to wipe out the map with brutal efficiency if you time their use well. Bit of a dick trap at the end, but Erik apparently just meant it as a love-bite, since he kindly hands over a blur sphere to handily negate it right before it hits.

Map 09 -- Computer Storage - 100% Kills / No actual Secrets
Another solid entry, the aesthetic and structural parallels with DooM's E1M7 are very easy to draw, but fortunately the map plays differently enough from its distant progenitor to not seem too much of a pastiche, although it does broadly resemble KDiTD in that you mostly mow down discrete waves of weaklings in quick, frequent bursts of violence (though I suppose that's true of a lot of Scythe, given its general brevity). I didn't have trouble with the blur sphere secret (not that I'm excusing the mapset's strange secret placement, since if Erik really just wanted to prevent the final tally from reading 0% in maps with no real secrets he could have just made a mandatory sector in front of the player start or the exit be the sole secret), as I remembered it was there from past experience and so used it to dash around outside collecting gear and then to enter the base without really killing much outside, just for fun mind you, since you have to return later for the red card, anyway).

Map 10 -- The Lords - 100% Kills / No actual secrets
Must disagree with 7hm here, I think this is a much more effective and interesting 'boss' map than Deadly was--far more likely to seriously press the player if s/he doesn't know what's coming. I assume the setting is supposed to be somewhat reminiscent of 'Baron's Den' from Evilution, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it on account of, well, the Barons. This is a good example of the right way to use Barons of Hell, incidentally--the low amount of viable movement space plus their high HP (meaning they can't be mowed down quickly) makes them a credible threat capable of oppressing players who don't react quickly and efficiently to their introduction. Screw up, and you likely end up with one of three choices: 1) Be gutted by a Baron 2) Burn to a cinder in the molten rock below when one of them forces you from the ledge or 3) Destroy yourself with point-blank rocket-splash as a side-effect of your last great act of defiance. Fair enough, says I!

SteveD said:

Watched the first 7 maps so far. Choice stuff. "Slimy Rubbish," "Angry Doom Lad" -- what could be more fun than a family Doom dispute? Well, watching purist die comes close. ;D That's what you get for your anti-SSG blasphemy! :D

This was really fun stuff, and it made me really, really want to play these maps myself. They look pretty cool, though I realize now that I've played Deadly before.

So keep it coming, family of purist. Dylan has some skills!

He was in an odd mood that day. I think he was protesting because he wanted to carry on with Whitemare. His complaints about Scythe - difficulty, being lost - where much more of a problem in Whitemare but he had made up his mind. Hopefully he will be more open minded during the next episode.

Thanks for watching anyway Steve. You might get a mention from Dylan... err Ultrakid.

MAP06: Pressure Point
Another slapfest. I do enjoy having the option to save ammo, even though maintaining a steady ammo supply on these maps wouldn't be a problem anyway.

I resist the ever-tempting Box Of Megaton Punching at first, because it made more sense to just waste the vermin outside with some long-distance firepower. Like everything so far, there's not much to bring up. There's a crusher which can be put to very good use (I wish more maps featured crushers as a way to dispose of monsters), but other than that things just go by without thought. The ending is something of a nice and fairly unexpected spike in danger compared to previous maps, but nonetheless remains a situation that can be easily controlled.

MAP07: Deadly
Going to go against the general opinion and say that I actually quite like this claustrophobic take on a "Dead Simple"-styled map, despite it being so laughable in difficulty. It's nothing spectacular (nor does it live up to its name), but as far as slot-filling gimmicks go it's okay for what it is.

I don't know why this map has a Berserk pickup though. You'd have to be fucking desperate for that to be of any conventional use.

MAP08: Garden Base
Nice layout, decent early opposition, worthwhile secret items. Not really challenging, but that's no surprise for this first episode. The ambush near the exit could be seen as somewhat dickish if you're the sort to panic every time a wall opens, but you'd also have to be exceptionally unlucky for the Chaingunners to do major damage -- they're more likely to just tear each other up in crossfire. Not a bad map design at all, it's simple, clean and effective.

MAP09: Computer Storage
As mentioned already, the music and general texture theme lends this map an E1M7 feel, exaggerated further by the larger use of Zombies and Imps. With things now approaching a 'conventional' size, MAP09 serves as what is probably the best map of this first episode. There's plenty to see and shoot while going on an overly-simple 40-second quest for the three keys (with this design aspect being the weakest link in an otherwise decent map), and the appearance of what will soon enough become a universally-despised commonplace foe -- the Revenant -- reminds us that eventually, routine map-by-map victories probably won't be so easy to achieve.

MAP10: The Lords
A weak affair, no matter how you look at it. Just an excuse for Erik to force his love of bullshit death exits on us after an underwhelming 'boss' battle. A seriously disappointing end to the opening episode.

Map09: Computer Storage

I enjoyed this and I agree that it is perhaps the best map in the first episode. Feels more complex than it is with all that playing with heights and pseudo non-linearity but in reality it's an another very short one that can be made even shorter with a rather obvious acrobatic route choice. Now, I always go for 100% kills but I love when a map gives the player options to be creative in one way or another. Loved those two shotgunners on both sides of the nukage areas entrance too, got a face full of rocket in my first playthrough when they suddenly appeared as I was firing towards the Rev. Just lovely enemy placement.

Map10: The Lords

Mmh, well it's better than Deadly as far as boss maps go, that's for sure. Still, very short and pretty boring if you know what to expect. The Barons are definitely a good choice in this environment though and RL being really THE weapon to use makes it even more awkward.

Map11: Sneak Peak

Fuck, this was actually really great. Lovely lovely shortcuts here like Phobus mentions, that I didn't even have any memories of but still found in my first go. BK trap is really nice though so I'd recommend not skipping that part even if it's possible. Instant jump in difficulty compared to E1 too although still fairly relaxed apart from the aforementioned BK trap. A Soulsphere, Mega-armor and a Megasphere seems very generous but ehh, allows for reckless playstyle so I suppose it's okay. No complaints here really, awesome stuff.

Time pending this month (and if NOVA: The Birth/Doomworld Mega Project 2013 don't final release first...), I am considering covering this wad (after I finish Shotgun Symphony because it's a SteveD creation and I must finish it!) on my twitch channel at some point.

BaronofStuff sold me really well on how irritating this wad can be, plus I've been kind of wanting to try out Scythe 1/2 at some point, and this is a great excuse to do so!

MAP14: Power Outage
Laughably easy map where, due to luck, I took precisely 10 damage from the final revenant and absolutely none from the preceding 50 monsters. When you play and see the map start, you'll see exactly how lucky that was, even coming in loaded up like I did from the previous map.

I like the gimmick with the generator and the way the map looks actually reminds me of some of the stuff I did in Scourge way back when, so it gave me a bit of nostalgia. The music from The Focus fits well, but considering we're nearly halfway through the map set, this really didn't feel right. Just too easy, really.

Map 10 -- The Lords - 100% Kills / No actual secrets
Must disagree with 7hm here, I think this is a much more effective and interesting 'boss' map than Deadly was--far more likely to seriously press the player if s/he doesn't know what's coming. I assume the setting is supposed to be somewhat reminiscent of 'Baron's Den' from Evilution, but perhaps I'm reading too much into it on account of, well, the Barons. This is a good example of the right way to use Barons of Hell, incidentally--the low amount of viable movement space plus their high HP (meaning they can't be mowed down quickly) makes them a credible threat capable of oppressing players who don't react quickly and efficiently to their introduction. Screw up, and you likely end up with one of three choices: 1) Be gutted by a Baron 2) Burn to a cinder in the molten rock below when one of them forces you from the ledge or 3) Destroy yourself with point-blank rocket-splash as a side-effect of your last great act of defiance. Fair enough, says I! [/B]

You pistol start, whereas I've been playing continually with the occasional pistol start outside of my main play just to try stuff out. I'd guess that makes a bigger difference on this map than it does on Deadly. By the end of Computer Storage I was filled to the brim with rockets and the barons weren't a challenge at all. I wasn't nearly as stacked out in Deadly, but even if I were, pistol start there was harder, but not drastically different - the map played about the same, just slower. I'll go back to this one with pistol start and see how it changes my opinion of it.

Part of my attitude towards that map is that Mancubi and Arachnatrons seem scarier to me than Barons do. Barons are just big 'ol Hell Knights who can take a bit more of a punch.

e: Nah it's still pretty easy and boring.

Map 11
Sneak Peak

This is a strong start to the second episode. This is about my sweet spot for map size / monster counts: something that isn't Map 1 but doesn't take 20 minutes to wrap up. It adds Archviles to the mix right away (albeit trickily) and has a good number of mid-tier monsters, and you get the tools to deal with them right away. No plinking at Cacodemons with a pistol. It also certainly throws health at you if you grab the not-at-all-secret secrets. The cave is certainly somewhat barren in terms of texturing (I'm also playing BTSX at the same time, it's a heck of a contrast), but I like the height variation. Infinite sprite actors really messed me up in my first attempt at the cave.

Strafe running off the central building makes for an alternate entrance to the red key room, and keeps the hitscan hoard pretty contained, but it didn't appear like you could sequence break, unless I missed something there (I did miss a secret, maybe that?). That's too bad. durrr, just re-read Phobos' post. That's cool then, gonna have to replay it.

MAP15: Bloodbath: Or "another Inmost Dens", if you like! Definitely some heavier opposition here - probably the most potentially lethal map yet, with a good 20% of the map population being hard hitters, although with a bit of secret hunting (I only got 2/3, despite getting what felt like a third secret) you'll be comfortably over stocked. I'm not sure what the intended route to the secret exit is (although I have a couple of theories), but I got there legitimately with some trial and error. I'll not spoil how though :)

MAP10: The Lords
100% kills, 1/1 "secret"

Yeah, this map kinda sucks. It's not difficult at all to find a safe landing spot after revealing the barons, and from there it's just shooting them with rockets.

MAP11: Sneak Peek
98% kills, 3/4 secrets

Now this is what I'm talking about! This is one of the maps that always pops in my head when thinking about Scythe. Small but bloody. The start lets the players pick up their weaponry against some not-ignorable opposition (though this was probably helped by the fact that I don't think a single goddamned zombieman missed a shot on me), before the blue key ambush wrecks your shit (especially if you don't grab the megasphere beforehand, as I don't). And that TNT music gets the blood pumping.

MAP10 - The Lords

The nice looking start area overpacked me with ammo and stuff. Then I jumped down into a pit and found myself inside a not-big cave filled with lava and with a very narrow ledge along its walls. It was really disappointing to find out that all gameplay in this map will take place on this thin ledge. I kinda refused to do it, and killed all monsters (both mancubi and barons) from the cave's broadened entrance. Thankfully the cave was quite dark, otherwise I'd probably immediately condemn it as ugly, for the ASHWALL.

So in the end, I only really needed rockets. For an episode final map and intended bossmap, it was pretty weak. I really expected the map to continue further, but no, a death exit greets me. Wasn't impressed by the gameplay here.

MAP11 - Sneak Peak

This map has a few aesthetical similarities to the previous one (thin ledge stairs, small closets with enemies and/or supplies, lava, ASHWALL). That's probably why I didn't really feel good about the map at first. Right when I heard the (great) music and saw the (ugly like) aesthetics, I thought: "What a clash, is this mapset going down in quality or what?"

But actually this turned out to be a good map, although I felt the texture combinations weren't the greatest at places. Smallish, nonlinear and compact design, use of height variation and various enemies make the map interesting. The archvile trap killed me on my first attempt, I admit, even with the megasphere I had (well, I damaged myself with my own rocket launcher). Revenants in this map were surprisingly harmless, I could berserk them easily (those on the ground). I found all secrets. I think the spaces between buildings and walls could have been larger, but I guess that's what Scythe is about, kind of. Not a bad experience.

MAP10 The Lords My Time: 0:50

Simplistic boss map with only two mancubi and barons. Rocket launcher used throughout and I avoided damage. The berserk right before the death exit was completely unnecessary.

MAP11 Sneak Peek My Time: 5:03

I always knew this as one of the tougher Scythe levels, even with the berserk right there in front of me. One secret can be reached two ways, one is by straferunning. The revenants prove to be the most annoying monster out of all the ones I tried to punch out. The blue key trap is pretty devious as well, but pushing back to the corridor and taking out the archvile and cacodemons seemed to be the best strategy. Bit of an RNG letdown with zombiemen on this map for me as well, and I didn't use my health correctly. Hard, fun intro to the second episode of Scythe.

MAP12 Walk In The Park My Time: 3:43

I played the infighting game here with everyone until the baron died. Pretty dumb use of it too since I can't get him to hit one of the cacos. This "park" probably could've been better. But that Descent music is pretty nice. Rather shameful that I can't use a berserk here though.

Almost catching up! Playing this on UV using Doom Expanded mod this time (a pretty good mod that doesn't change gameplay at all. Much recommended.)

MAP 04
Good animated lightning right out of the gate, also some good jumping layouts.

MAP 05
Managed to die on this one, attempting to strafe run to the other side of the slime pit without success (nor a radiation suit).

MAP 06
Again, good lighting, and I found the Cacodemon encounter at the cave near the end to be a pretty good fight.

MAP 07
Once you get out of their way, you can shoot them through tinny spots
making the fight very easy, but a bit boring.

MAP 08
Great layout right at the start, this was my favorite map from episode 1. Its a bit tighter on ammo then previous maps and has a great imp chase in a cavern filled with shotgunners (considering you try to run past them as I did :). Also, good use of mamcubus.

MAP 09
Another good map, after grabbing some keys they lead directly to the correspondent locked door, good design. The elevator button could be more visible.

MAP 10
Nice fight, there not much room to move, but its easy to find a safe spot.

Cynical said:

Also, for the dirty continuous players out there: don't. Especially not in Ep. 3. Scythe's maps are almost conceived as single combat scenarios much of the time

I understand this by the way weapons are placed every map, but I think it is designed to be played both ways, otherwise I can't see any reason for the medkits placed at the end of many maps. By the way, I started MAP 04 with pistol only, then went dirty continuous mode :P

Darch said:

I understand this by the way weapons are placed every map, but I think it is designed to be played both ways, otherwise I can't see any reason for the medkits placed at the end of many maps. By the way, I started MAP 04 with pistol only, then went dirty continuous mode :P

Not to mention the death exits at every episode. And the lack of mention of pistol start at all in the text file.

MAP31: I dunno, Torn
A map that is very STONE3 throughout, with some interesting secrets that completely change progression and a big BFG9000 cock tease. Highest monster count so far, but not a particularly challenging map due to the tougher enemies being caged and the bigger fights being mostly imps. Secret exit was easy enough to find, so I've got that tomorrow.

MAP12: Walk in the Park
100% kills, 2/2 secrets

After the fun taste that was last map, this is a step backwards. The start can be a bit hairy if you're not careful with the rocket launcher I suppose, and relying on the single shotgun may get you overwhelmed. But once you clear out the start, it's pretty easy. A couple chaingunners teleport in after grabbing keys but that's it, and pose no real threat with the rest of the map cleared. One secret is a weapon sitting in the open, and the soulsphere is barely one step beyond that.

MAP09 Computer Storage
I don't really get that "Start to crate" thing since I can't think of a better map start that this map has - two open crates with weapons inside. Awesome! And guess what - level gets even better from that point. Most of all, it's remarkably bigger. It feels like a continuation of a previous map and has even more distinctive Evilution feel to it since it consits of a realistic hangar/star base (don't mind missalinged textures), a fenced storage area and a pool of toxins in the middle of the yard. Gameplay-wise it's well-thought as well and introduces everybody's one of the least favourite monsters, a revenant. Where's my super shotgun to deal with those guys efficiently? Hopefully in a next map.

MAP10 The Lords
Do my eyes play tricks on me? Minimap shows 4 monsters in total? Hopefully it's not 4 cyberdemons then! Few seconds later I found myself standing in a lava-filled pit shooting at mancubi. Dozen seconds and dozen shotgun shots later two barons of hell appear, letting me achieve 100% kill score. What could possibly go wrong now? Wait, there's a drop down spot, let's check it out. BOOOOOOM! I'm dead. Thankfully it turned out to be an death-exit, so farewell, my dear shotgun! I'll be missing you in MAP11 but hoefully not for long.

MAP11 Sneak Peak
In a previous level I was falling down like crazy and guess what - I'm at the Earth's surface again. Let's pretened that somebody carried over my uncoscionous body from that trapped pit but took all of my weapons in an exchange. Don't worry gentlemen, we're going to find that filthy, life-saving thief and get our stuff back. Silliness aside, that's another pretty good-looking lev-WHAT? I have to fight revenants with bersek pack?! And there's an archvile while I've barely laid my hands on shotgun and rocket launcher? And a massive teleport trap? That motherf***g thief must have raised the difficulty level as well! There's no excuse now, WE'LL HAVE TO FIND THAT GUY NOW!!! (bottom line: you can get a shotgun pretty soon if you choose to tackle the map by another way)

MAP12 Walk in a park
It's amazing how that prev-gen MIDI soundtrack can give you some serious chills when combined with such visuals as this map has. It's simple yet nightmarish enough to kickstart your imagination. Starting area lets you clear most part of main battlefield but things can get really rough if you won't pay enough attention to enemies' projectiles flying around. Besides that, there are no traces of our thief either.

MAP12 - Walk in the Park

Another simple and very small map. I didn't find it threatening or menacing at all, maybe because I entered it packed with nearly full health and armor from the previous map. Even all the revenants and teleporting chaingunners were easy to deal with. Architecture, while simple, was interesting.

The ending got me thinking if there are any players who are actually disgusted by a berserk in front of an exit switch. I am not, as I know it can never do any harm, but I know other people who can't stand ANY items in front of switches, I wonder if they mind this too.

In front of the exit switch I see no problem, because you're done with the map already. Scythe maps tend to restore players health before next map. But in any other switch is bad, because you might want to keep this item for later.

MAP32: Enoz Soahc
Or Chaos Zone, for those of us who aren't John Romero. It's basically two small arenas that get flooded with monsters at certain triggers, but reward you with a plasma gun (which you've probably already got) before the final battle and a megasphere on completion, which is actually pretty nice as it means you go into the next map from a position of strength.

Evidently I was thinking of Scythe 2 when I anticipated seeing "Get Going" again as a secret level at the start of the month.

MAP13 - Subverted Base

The unexpected sergeants at start drained my health from 134% down to 2%, hehe, fortunately there was a berserk nearby to refill it up to 100% again. The rest was easy. Would be easy even if I didn't have the chaingun and rocket launcher (I used both though). One of the simplest possible setups again (key -> door -> immediately another key -> door...). But the gameplay is pleasant, as well as aesthetics, even with its simplicity. The beauty is in the simplicity, even nowadays I'd say. Structure of this map is well made though, much better than MAP09 IMO. I exited this MAP13 with 200 health, 153 armor, 200 bullets, 50 shells, 50 rockets and 140 cells (no backpack yet, and I think I haven't used plasmagun so far), and having all 100% statistics. Simply nice enjoyment. :)

MAP13 Subverted Base My Time: 3:33

This one's a toughie; I think I avoided using the berserk except on single foes this time. The shotgunner trap at the beginning foreshadows the hitscan hell that comes afterwards. The plasma gun does make its first appearance though. End room can be tough if unprepared.

MAP14 Power Outage My Time: 3:20

Nice concept and good use of dummy sectors. The beginning is a scary sight. The shack with the blue door causes the power to arise, but I had to fight my way through imps and zombies in the other building for it. Not too hard if you have a door for protection. Also, that building was great for barrel frags. Then behind the yellow key door was a "refueling base" mock with a baron guarding the key. And once again, he puts a berserk right at the end. Bah.

Map12: Walk in The Park

A cute little "arena" map. Or a park map I guess. I preferred letting everything loose before starting the mini-massacre, which makes things a bit more interesting (and frankly, I think that's how this is "intended" to be played. But ehh, a step back definitely compared to the previous map. Not a huge one since it's alright fun for a quick playthrough and trying to Tyson this was pretty fun.

Map13: Subverted Base

I liked this, and especially when I used the same let all hell break loose -strategy as in the previous map. Not the shotgunners though, shotgunners must die immediately. Felt like a very speedrun-friendly map with the looping layout and well-thought ammo balance, which is something I do find appealing.

Map14: Power Outage

Hih, this is an interesting concept map indeed. I got some AV map02 vibes from the Sarge pile at the start, followed by delicious barrel kills in the next room. Flipping the power switch has some cool effects and then there's the Refueling Base homage tech-maze to finish it off. If you don't get totally RNG-fucked at the start it's pretty damn easy actually, but the mapping tricks and homages and whatnot make up for it for me personally. Strange because I'm usually very gameplay-oriented and that department is honestly a bit lackluster in this map.

MAP13: Subverted Base
100% kills, 2/2 secrets

A nice small level with a fair amount of enemies. Lots of monster closets and monsters teleporting in, but I say, keep 'em coming. Good mix of enemies.

MAP14: Power Outage
100% kills, 1/1 secret

I agree, nice concept and use of dummy sectors. I wish there was a bit more too it though, as this one feels smaller than some of the other, similar-sized levels. The Refueling Base homage at the end is a bit of a letdown, as is having only one enemy after grabbing the red key.

MAP15 Blood Bath My Time: 5:19

"Inmost Dens" remake which can be real tricky so I sniped a few monsters instead of berserking them like usual. Pretty similar to Inmost Dens in seeing as how I can run across ledges and all. I don't think I used the blue key for anything on this map. And of note, the SSG makes it's very first appearance in Scythe here in a secret next to the secret exit. There's at least two ways to reach both as far as I know, my route was to go to the exit and ride the lift up, but I'm sure there's an extra way to reach it.

MAP 11

Difficulty raises a big step at this episode start. Maybe its the forced pistol start, but I prefer smoother difficulty raises, to speak the truth. I died a lot of times until I went straight to the keys and finished the level in 1:09 :P Lot of optional areas and grabs at this one. I had never get past this map before, so every map from now on will be my first play on them.

MAP 12

Climatic dark map. Really liked this one. Good music, great sky. Difficulty kinda gets back to the point it was before rough episode start. No deaths and finished in 2:31 going straight to the cards
and buttons, not bothering with killing everything.

MAP 13

I'm really digging the mood of this second episode. Again, the music is well chosen and cohesive with the others from this episode. Some easy-to-find secrets really make it easier with plasma gun and blue armor. I've just watched speedrunner Vortale playing Schyte 2, so I think I'm going faster then I use to. 3 minutes to finish the level,
surprisingly with stats 88% 100% 100%. Not many optional areas in this one, I guess.

MAP 14

Short easy map with a dark section that resembles very much a "refueling base" map section.

MAP 15

Doom II tributes go on.. Even Doom II music is used. This map seemed much harder to me then its last three predecessors. Hitscanners from all sides, an Arch vile welcome right at the start... Had to clean the areas instead of just avoiding things. I had just noticed I still didn't had a double barreled, when I saw one near an elevator door. Seems like author is begging players to find secret exit, because the elevator door and some prizes are pretty visible and there's a though trap at the standard exit, which successfully killed me, so I went for the other exit on my second (well, fourth, actually) run.

map 31 I Dunno Torn

This is the map that comes to mind when I think of Schyte. I don't know if I was wrong to assume I never played episode 2 or I had IDCLEVed to this map years ago, but I remembered this level and I like it very much. Great music and convincing dungeon feel.