Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

I made some sorta fartarded boom map

This made me rethink everything I know about Doom mapping. I haven't been using enough smiley clouds!

I like the big white hallway with imps, that square optical illusion texture looks pretty damn cool in such a long room.

Heh, no idea how to beat it. I guess you have to step on all these red parts without using any weapons? Looks quite annoying. I like the music though, did you make it?

A gggmork map without D_RUNNIN. It's like a dream come true!

FDA. Two thirds of the way through, I start playing at 50% speed (three pistol shots in a row to mark the change).

Colorful animated squares are more pleasing to the eye and easy to see than standard textures, to me. HOM walls... Not so much. :)

Loving the gameplay in this one. So much more thought and effort into movement and dodges than usual. It's like a dance of death and clouds and weird imp penises. Perfect example of the relevance of large amounts of slow projectiles in FPS. :)

Edit: boo filesmelt. FDA. I would've uploaded it there in the first place, but sendspace was super slow to load at the time of my original post.

Filesmelt is down so I'll watch the fda when it goes back up. Yeah, I made the music, isn't it super awesome!? I made it in an hour and tried to match the stupidness/annoyingness of the atmosphere. I like how I saved pictures as bmp and paint.net (since I accidentally deleted vanilla microsoft paint once) used anti aliasing or whatever to mess up the pixels. Before all the stupid music/texture revisions, which took forever, I only beat it with saves which was hard and tricky (yeah, walk over the 16 discolored areas, berzerk only until you get a pathetic amount of chaingun ammo at the end. Didn't playtest the end of barons + cyber much (added them because there were too many mancs leftover and you can't berzerk them cuz they're fat).

How did you pull off the invisible floors? I'd normally deduce that you used self-referencing sectors, but those usually cause monsters to not notice the player as easily and I didn't see that happening at all.

Huh, I didn't think of that. I guess I'm thinking in vanilla.

EDIT: Create Fake Ceiling and Floor? Hm, I'm going to have to tinker with that one.

Yeah, transfer heights:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Transfer_Heights
Also I don't think you can change a sidedef texture in boom, so I had a dummy floor sliver with the opposite side texture lower to make it look like it changed. Also I copy pasted each of the 8 main "steps" then ++100 to all sector tags and all line tags to make it less time consuming, then I simply searched for tags that were even multiples of 100 (100,200...700) and changed them back to 0 (I guess it wasn't even necessary to change back to 0, all well).

Filesmelt still down so feel free to re-upload the fda to filedropper if you want phml.

EDIT:
furthest I got so far (didn't even open the imp/lost soul area yet):
http://www.filedropper.com/splink-ggg-fail4

This level is a bastard and also a bass turd. With luck you won't have to berzerk a cyber at the end, ha ha (or mancs which might even be harder).

I like how the demo lasts a good 30 seconds after death. Easy to picture you staring in disbelief at getting killed by a stupid random manc fireball after avoiding so much stuff. :p

Yeah, those mancs are pretty tricky to deal with. Can't let them loose too late, otherwise there's nothing to infight with; but at the same time they pop up from both sides and open up many more routes for monsters to corner. Tough.

Smart way to handle the start! As you move to the second floor you get everything gathered in the middle, and the first group of HKs serves as a buffer for the few upper revenants that haven't already got into a fight with cybies or upper HKs. I feel dumb now... but it beats the earlier assumption you posted this as something already UV maxed. :)

Ha, you killed a cyber w/ the pistol. The 50% speed was interesting to watch and seemed to help a lot. This map is a good test of einstein's definition of insanity: trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Even if mancs are leftover, they could fight the imps. The barons + cyber would most likely kill all the mancs if any are left after that. Its easy to end up having to berzerk like 10 barons at the end though, heh heh. I'd probably start punching them while the cyber infights them too to even it out in the cyber's favor.

This was a fun concept... but I don't get why almost every single map has to be the ultimate doom challenge, and play D_RUNNIN. Well, music was replaced in this one (very fitting, by the way), but it would be fun just to shoot some things in such a crazy environment. Or even run and dodge, but in a bit more fair way, at least.

I.. I did it. Its not fast but now I can say "I killed all the monsters and exited on that one forgotten map with happy face sunshines and rainbows, yes that's what I did with my time while you were out doing pointless things like getting married and having kids". This map made me secrete poop out of my tear ducts. But my daily forced association with horizontal bullies and vertical tyrants in the compulsory education prison for 12 years has left me so fragile that even being hit with a photon at the wrong angle produces that same response. So here is that stupid demo:
http://speedy.sh/TVCXR/splink-uvmax-1645-cl9-ggg.lmp
Needless to say but I played with -nomusic.