Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Martial Arts

myk said:

Years ago I went to a few ninjutsu classes. I remember the punching technique and they made us do some physical exercises and crawling around.

A guy in my aikido class took a few years worth of ninjitsu before switching to aikido. Occasionally he'd slip up and go into a ninjitsu mindset. Some of the pins and joint locks he knew from it were brutal. And being the crazy person I am, I enjoyed it.

Wing Chun is a good choice. A modified Wing Chun/Jeet Kune Do Concepts gave me the quickest, most effective improvement overall. And I learned some Tai Chi concepts in it. Just make sure your Wing Chun/Ving Tsun school develops feeling and sensing with Chi Sau. Some just go through the motions and try to just charge forward pummeling with poor defense.

Having done many arts including about 10 years of a TKD/Shotokan/SmallCircleJujutsu mix, I would never recommend any Karate or TKD/TSD or similar Kempo. They develop rigid tendencies you have to work hard to undo. Fortunately after just a year and a half I took up other arts which counterbalanced it. I suggest just learning the TKD kicks at some point, but Muay Thai has better roundhouses and front stomping ("teep") kicks. Even seeing a live demonstration of hardcore North Korean TKD, only their kicks were impressive, even as they claimed kicks make up less of a proportion than hands.

Good Taijutsu/Ninjutsu is great. It's like being a human trash compactor just crunching down your opponent with mechanical leverage while eliminating his options and expanding yours. It develops good feeling and sensing with multiple points of contact. It seems a lot of technique has to be very precise though -- One slight mistake and your leverage is gone. Unfortunately the quality and integrity of schools can vary wildly.

Beware just any place teaching Muay Thai. A lot of it is generic imitation being taught by karate/TKD or kickboxer people who never really trained in. It's more than roundhouses, knees, and elbows. Generic stuff is missing fine points of them and there's a lot to the stand up grappling/clinching ("plumbing" or "plumming?") for dominate kneeing position or throwing. It's very upper body (maybe like Greco Roman wrestling?), but when done right it's totally efficient without exertion.

If you can find real Tai Chi as a martial art, preferably with all the healing Qi Gong and stuff, that's really something.

Wing Chun and Tai Chi seem very closely related, both being snake+crane fusions with other additions. Wing Chun utilizes more straight forward hard external stuff to compliment soft internal stuff making it quicker to develop effectively. Tai Chi takes more time. Xingyiquan and Bagua are good Tai Chi related arts with internal power. Xingyiquan is a very direct linear style with more hard external stuff that can be developed quicker.

For people looking for a school, I recommend looking for a Kung Fu place that happens to teach Tai Chi. That may be your best bet of a finding a good Kung Fu or real Tai Chi.

Hand to hand, it is the basis of all combat. Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon!

STILL AWAITING KOF98 CHALLENGES

I started Kendo 20 years ago, trained for about 13 or 14 years, but eventually dropped out due to health issues (turns out I have a muscle disease, but this was only diagnosed recently).

I started back at kendo a couple of months ago, it's great to be back, but I'm suffering from poor upper body strength at the moment. Hopefully things will improve as I get more fit.

I tried it out because I saw chuck norris do it when I was a kid, although I didn't really focus being a kid with ADHD and eventually quit

All attempts to improve my mind have reached dead ends so I've been thinking about giving my body a try. I'm naturally agile and well-coordinated (which I've never taken advantage of) so I'm considering martial arts but I don't know where to start. I think a traveling Tae Kwon Do instructor is vising my small town some time this winter, but with my work schedule chances are I'd be forking over a couple hundred bucks just to attend every other session. Is there anything productive I can do just by myself or with friends?

My sister's husband recently started fencing, of all things. He's a fairly large target so I'll have to find out how that's been going.

Any form of self-defense is good in my view. I'd stay away from the TKD dude though, you shouldn't have to be paying that much, and I doubt you'll learn many useful things in your time with him if he's a travelling instructor.

Judo,Muay Thai,Monkey,Goju Ryu,a bit of Tae Kwon Do,some Jeet Kune Do,Snake,Sumo,Karate and also Wrestling.
Oh btw i learned martial arts from movies and games.
I am good in Wrestling.

J.B.R said:

Judo,Muay Thai,Monkey,Goju Ryu,a bit of Tae Kwon Do,some Jeet Kune Do,Snake,Sumo,Karate and think that's it.
Oh btw i learned martial arts from movies and games.

Oh, look, Chuck Norris!!

Movies and games can be a good source of inspiration for martial arts... at least if the stuff shown in them are based on real techniques or are real techniques. But if it's some senseless spinning around, that's useless. A simple kick or punch can be the most special move ever if practiced/done well.

RottKing said:

Could you also kick people to one end of the screen and have them pop out the other?

I could do this with school chairs. Either the chair literally flew across the room, or the back detached and broke in the middle.