Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

Starbound

Anyone signed up to this as a beta tester? The sheer awesomeness of the concept - choose your species, get a spaceship, explore the universe - sounds a bit like Star Trek games should have been. Are there plans to bring it onto the XBoxes?

I was going to buy it on steam when it first came out because I did enjoy terraria a bit although I really dislike trying to play a side scroller on a keyboard. Controls just feel wierd.

William Blazkowicz said:

Sounds like that EA game "Spore".

It's not at all similar to spore.

William Blazkowicz said:

Sounds like that EA game "Spore". And I never heard of 'Starbound'. Sorry.

It's more like Terraria In Spaaaaace! and the choice of species is from a handful of races, not something you craft yourself.

My friends are I were playing this in December and it seemed pretty cool. Unfortunately, one of my friends (the one who hyped it the most, natch) decided to bail and stopped playing it, and since then I've barely played it. I'll need to pick it back up again and see what's up, since I enjoy games like this and really dug Terraria too.

Played quite a few hours of it, but now i'm waiting until they add a bit more balance. Still happy with my purchase, as the dev team is fantastic and their ideas are great. (What they have already and what they plan to do with it.)

I bought it when it came out, but I got bored of it pretty fast because there's not much to do right now. I'll wait a few months to play it again. They have a lot planned for the game, which is nice.

It's in early access, so eff no. I'll probably grab it when it's done but no way I'll pay anyone to test their game.

I hated Terraria after knowing the creator of the game, I pre-ordered it. Every 6 months I try to play it, and its just not fun. I want more of a randomized Castlevania. The mouse aim is just awkward along with the controls feel cumbersome. The only joy I had playing the game is when I had friends playing, but really your friends doing anything with you will make it fun. Then I bought the PSN version and the controls were awful when they were 'improved for console.'

I won't be playing Starbound anytime soon.

Supposedly its sold a million copies on Steam. Yet Steam charts says differently. But maybe everyone that bought the game doesn't play it.

Terraria is a marmite game - love it or hate it. I personally think it's amazing, but the controls on the XBox 360 are pretty horrid, the bosses are MILES too hard and the enemies are extremely annoying. Compared to Minecraft, well, it just makes Minecraft look empty and bland, so you have to look at Minecraft as a chill-out game. Terraria is action-adventure. I don't usually build houses etc in Terraria, that's what Minecraft is for.

As for Starbound, the concept sounds amazing. I suppose at this stage it's going to be boring and buggy. It seems like they spend a lot of time giving the players what they want and The Glitch sound like a brilliant species. They remind me of old issues of White Dwarf, back when they still ran Necromunda battle reports, and one of the staff painted his Van Saar gang as the Borg and ended up almost running the Underhive with dozens of models.

I had a lot of fun with Terraria, but ended up getting bored of it. Since then they've added tons of content, but I don't really care about more content when it directly translates to more grinding.

I'm pretty sure Starbound's going to be the same way, and the idea of grinding and grinding and grinding for materials just to get the new tier obsoleted in the next patch by massive nerfs in order to justify grinding for the new additional content kinda turns me off this game genre.

MajorRawne said:

the bosses are MILES too hard

I've actually found the opposite, but that's probably because I go out of my way to build structures that take advantage of the bosses' attacks so that they can't even shoot me (except for the first boss, which I haven't figured out an easy way around yet) or else just spam turrets once I can build them.

Sorta sounds like the Star Trek game that currently exists (STO). Cool concept though, as long as there's a good variety of aliens, and not just Humans with different skin colors.

MajorRawne said:

the bosses are MILES too hard

They aren't necessarily hard (unless hard mode), they're just badly designed in that you're meant to fight them with ranged weapons. Going melee is just impossible, but dodging attacks and shooting with bows or guns is fairly easy.

I love and played the shit out of Terraria. I really dislike the existing progression system in Starbound, though. That is looking to change for release, so I'll happily play and do other things until then.

STO: I played that for a while, but the vast variety of uniforms and the fact people were constantly scurrying about their business with no interaction made me feel disconnected from the game. It was like attending some kind of convention which had no rules.

Oh, and I had to take a shitty Miranda class starship, with grinding required to reach the Intrepid and Nova classes that I had my eye on. And a tenner a month seems a bit steep, considering I rarely pay more than £20 when I actually buy a game.

Terraria: There were three of us on the Twins yesterday. Spasmatism nearly died, but Retinazer only just changed into his second form. Spasmatism became obnoxious, simply ploughing straight through us and killing us before we could do anything. You respawn with only five hearts out of twenty, you can only drink one health potion per minute which is not enough, and the fight spilled back to our base and the nurse was dead within two minutes. It is a fairly common complaint that the bosses are too hard. I fired about 2,000 minishark rounds during the battle. We were all using upgraded light sabres (best weapons available, no real idea how to get the shitloads of others without killing the bosses).