Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

Doom Remastered released

If you're on the Facebook Doomworld group, you may have already noticed this. If not...

I've been working on a mod for Doom (and soon Doom 2) called Doom Remastered that takes the original music and updates it using modern software and recording techniques. I've used the original MIDI files (converted from MUS) instead of rewriting things so that the tracks would be as close to the originals as possible. This also means that the instrumentation was not changed, so if the original song had an oboe part, so does the remastered version. All that is different is that it sounds better.

This isn't just "I found a nifty SoundFont and recorded the MIDIs with it", either. In fact, I think the only time I used a SoundFont was for one or two very specific sounds in one or two songs. Otherwise, it's all VSTs and manual work. I actually hate using SoundFonts...

Anyway, the mod is made for ZDoom-based ports, as well as for Doomsday-based ones. In ZDoom-based ports, the title of the song will be displayed upon entering a level.

I've been working the same thing for Doom 2 as well, but there are still tracks that don't sound right. So it'll be another few weeks before that one is finished.

Trailer:

Download the mod (or the album) here:
Doom Remastered

This is really cool. I've tried just about every soundtrack remaster, and none of them seemed to sit right. There's always a danger of getting too ambitious and creating something that feels really out of place in the game, and I think this pack avoids that by sticking to sounds that are really similar in tambre to the originals.

Tried it out with DTWiD, flitting through levels and using changemus in the console to get everything - sounds good to me. Would probably be good for any ZDoom episode replacements or Ultimate Doom projects, or perhaps when you've got Doom II done a Plutonia-style music arrangement which combines bits of everything. I think I'll keep hold of it for use with any (The Ultimate) Doom map sets I get in the future that have no music. Would you be open to have mappers use tracks from Doom Remastered in their projects, including distributing them as part of a .WAD or .pk3 if credit were given?

Phobus said:

Tried it out with DTWiD, flitting through levels and using changemus in the console to get everything - sounds good to me. Would probably be good for any ZDoom episode replacements or Ultimate Doom projects, or perhaps when you've got Doom II done a Plutonia-style music arrangement which combines bits of everything. I think I'll keep hold of it for use with any (The Ultimate) Doom map sets I get in the future that have no music. Would you be open to have mappers use tracks from Doom Remastered in their projects, including distributing them as part of a .WAD or .pk3 if credit were given?

Go right ahead! Glad people are enjoying it.

durian said:

This sounds pretty nice :) Any chance of a flac link?

Sure, I'll upload it later today.

Gonna check some of the songs out, will see if there's anything I can use in my personal high quality music WAD file.

What did you use for the synthesized distorted guitars?

PS: same question for the bass guitar.

Fernito said:

What did you use for the synthesized distorted guitars?

PS: same question for the bass guitar.

I used Kontakt for both. Its default library has some decent enough electric guitar sounds, though I found their cabinet/amp lacking with them. So I removed all the effects and passed the clean sound into Guitar Rig, where I used various components to make the sound I was aiming for. Going about it this way was nice because it was closer to a real guitar, since Kontakt models the type of pickup, fret noises, wipes, random pitch and velocity variations, and all that good stuff. Plus Guitar Rig sounds good and let me basically recreate the CLEAN -> AMP -> WHATEVER -> CABINET chain.

The only track I didn't do this for was E1M8. For that one I used my JV-1010's "Big Hair Lead" patch. But I still passed it into Guitar Rig for additional processing to make it sound better, and I think I layered some more Kontakt guitars with it.

Out of Guitar Rig I just did some EQing, reverb, delay where needed, and sometimes chorus. Then guitars were mixed down to 1-2 buses.

The bass sound was also done with Kontakt, this time with one of the Scarabee Bass libraries. Once or twice I passed it through Guitar Rig to get more of a cabinet sound, but usually I just used a compressor and EQ on it out of Kontakt.

yukib1t said:

I used Kontakt for both. Its default library has some decent enough electric guitar sounds, though I found their cabinet/amp lacking with them. So I removed all the effects and passed the clean sound into Guitar Rig, where I used various components to make the sound I was aiming for. Going about it this way was nice because it was closer to a real guitar, since Kontakt models the type of pickup, fret noises, wipes, random pitch and velocity variations, and all that good stuff. Plus Guitar Rig sounds good and let me basically recreate the CLEAN -> AMP -> WHATEVER -> CABINET chain.

The only track I didn't do this for was E1M8. For that one I used my JV-1010's "Big Hair Lead" patch. But I still passed it into Guitar Rig for additional processing to make it sound better, and I think I layered some more Kontakt guitars with it.

Out of Guitar Rig I just did some EQing, reverb, delay where needed, and sometimes chorus. Then guitars were mixed down to 1-2 buses.

The bass sound was also done with Kontakt, this time with one of the Scarabee Bass libraries. Once or twice I passed it through Guitar Rig to get more of a cabinet sound, but usually I just used a compressor and EQ on it out of Kontakt.

Thanks for the thorough reply. The sound was pretty good for a synthesized guitar, it didn't occur to me that you could be using Guitar Rig.

On my end, I use Shreddage + Guitar Rig. Rhythm guitars sound great with that combo!

Onslaught Six said:

Any chance of a Doom 2 version?

Yes! It's still being worked on, but should be out by March. At this point I'm mostly just tweaking the tracks to make sure they sound exactly how I want them to. The trailer video I posted has two Doom 2 songs in it.

Onslaught Six said:

Any chance of a Doom 2 version?

[Off-topic]

Hey, if you're who I think you are, then I made a remix of a track of yours called "Future" on OC Remix forums.

This is really good. The only issue I have with it is that a lot of the songs don't loop properly. That doesn't detract from the actual music though.

Nemark said:

This is really good. The only issue I have with it is that a lot of the songs don't loop properly. That doesn't detract from the actual music though.

Oggs/MP3s are harder to loop. It can be done, but then things won't sound right at the loop due to reverbs and note tails. For me, this is a bigger distraction than a small gap, hence why I did it like this.

Fernito said:

[Off-topic]

Hey, if you're who I think you are, then I made a remix of a track of yours called "Future" on OC Remix forums.

yes, he is indeed this Onslaught Six. ;)

Glad to see this is being well-received! Doom 2's pk3 is taking a bit longer due to some personal issues at the moment, so it's going to be a bit later than I intended. It should now be out by the end of March.

I'm not sure if I'll do a complete Final Doom release or not. I've done TNT Map01 already once before, though not using the same techniques as I did here. We'll see what happens.

Sounds great! The Oboe at 3:40 in the video sounds a bit out of place now though, even if it is in the background, not sure whether it would be better to change it, or remove it completely

francis247uk said:

Sounds great! The Oboe at 3:40 in the video sounds a bit out of place now though, even if it is in the background, not sure whether it would be better to change it, or remove it completely

You mean the Whistle patch? There are no oboes in MAP23's music, just the Whistle sound, and it's always been in that song.

My goal was to not change or remove any instruments from the original tracks. But, I think I did do a very slight adjustment on the levels and EQing of that track since the video was released, so you may not notice the out-of-place sound now if you heard it.