Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

FPS games that even npcs run out of ammo in?

I've been wondering for a while now if any single player FPS games where even the npcs can run out of ammo just like the player even exist unlike the hundreds of games out there which give any gun toting npcs seemingly unlimited ammo, I've never experienced a single FPS game with this sort of mechanic before.

Only ones I can think of are arena shooters like UT and QIIIA.

Also Skyrim if that counts; npcs have limited arrows and such just as the player does.

Well, there are DM only games like Quake 3, but that's not really what you mean. Other than that I can't think of any either. They would need some kind of other mechanic to compensate - the player can usually pick up ammo or restock somehow. Could be interesting if the NPCs also picked up things, and dropped whatever they didn't use when they died, because it would encourage you to kill them quickly.

It's not FPS, but Max Payne mooks carry limited ammo, and generally carry a back up weapon (Like a pistol) when they run out with their main gun. They're usually dead before they can run out of ammo again, so I don't know if they have unlimited or not after that.

I remember in previews the devs of Blood 2 said enemies would run out of ammo and have to go scouring for more, but then they also said a lot of stuff about the AI that never made it into the final game.

I wonder if the enemies in the old ROTT had a limited number of rockets.

Ichor said:

I wonder if the enemies in the old ROTT had a limited number of rockets.

Yep, I'm 90% sure their rocket supply was limited.

Enemies with panzerschreks in RtCW had limited rockets too, as far as I recall.

The ROTT lightning guards had 3 bazooka rockets by default if one had a launcher.

schwerpunk said:

I remember in previews the devs of Blood 2 said enemies would run out of ammo and have to go scouring for more, but then they also said a lot of stuff about the AI that never made it into the final game.

Well, they do run out of ammo but they don't go scouring for more, the soldiers use the pistol when they run out of ammo, and if they run out of the pistol ammo they attempt to explode on you.

Edit: enemies on Fallout 3 and NV run out of ammo too.

hah I would like to see a Cyberdemon suddenly stop shooting and run for some rocket boxes.

Guest Unregistered account

Actually, the first time I watched my dad on Gotcha! when I was four, I saw him go up against the Cyberdemon (I don't remember any Spider Masterminds, oddly) and he kept firing his gun (I can't remember what it was) then hopping back down the stairs to avoid the barrage of rockets.

I then brightly preclaimed, "Don't worry, he'll run out of ammo soon! :)"

My dad then replied with "Oh no, the enemies never run out of ammo."

"Oh" was my answer.

FTM said:

Well, they do run out of ammo but they don't go scouring for more, the soldiers use the pistol when they run out of ammo, and if they run out of the pistol ammo they attempt to explode on you.

Oh yeah, I guess I forgot about that. Alright, so +1 to Blood 2. Now if only I could get D3D rendering to play nice with Win7. :P

I've heard rumors that terrorists in the original (and presumably, the sequel of) Rainbow Six have limited ammunition and can run completely dry after about a magazine. Never seen it happen though, and I've had a few terrorists unload at me on fully automatic.

Darch said:
hah I would like to see a Cyberdemon suddenly stop shooting and run for some rocket boxes.

Yeah, I think this game feature would only be interesting if they could steal available ammo. It would increase the need to kill opponents fast instead of just making them weaker or harmless after a while.

Avoozl, your avatar (and username) is the nemesis of my avatar.

I think all "modern" Bethesda games (TES3-5, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas) has enemies with real inventories and thus limited ammo. They will also pick up nearby items (like weapons, ammo, or armor) if possible.

Darch said:

You tell me that. First Cyberdemon I encountered was in E4M2 (though I did see the monster in action when someone else was playing). I was terrified of him. So I just stood there, waiting forever for the monster to deplete his ammo into the wall... Doom knew better than that, so the monster neither depleted his ammo, nor got hurt from nearby explosions.

Dam I cant remember one game where enemies switched to weaker weapons when run out of ammo, it was console game

jute said:

I think all "modern" Bethesda games (TES3-5, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas) has enemies with real inventories and thus limited ammo. They will also pick up nearby items (like weapons, ammo, or armor) if possible.

Fallout 3 only requires a non-party NPC to have 1 unit of a weapons ammo type to be able to equip the weapon and use it indefinitely.