Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomtodeath

If you couldnt play Doom what would you play...?

Football Manager. I know it's nothing like Doom but it's the only other game I play.

Unless this is a trick question and I can say Doom II or Final Doom.

purist said:

Football Manager. I know it's nothing like Doom but it's the only other game I play.

Unless this is a trick question and I can say Doom II or Final Doom.

Shit, Someone already figured it out. ITS NO LONGER A TRICK QUESTION! Doom 2 and Final Doom is banned. :D

Probably the Dark engine Thief games. Learning and mastering complex, or at least non-linear environments is one of my favorite things in games, and it's something that both Doom and Thief use as part of the core gameplay.

That's why in that Duke thread I said that Doom 4 won't really be Doom if it doesn't have that exploration as a core gameplay mechanic, no matter how the visuals or sounds compare stylistically to the originals. If the level design in Rage and even the Lost Mission in BFG edition are anything to go by, id seems like they only want to design on-rails maps with the only optional bits off the beaten path being dead-ends for mere items. Even Doom 3's vanilla campaign had less hand holding and more exploration later on, despite being more linear than 1/2.

Sodaholic said:

Probably the Dark engine Thief games. Learning and mastering complex, or at least non-linear environments is one of my favorite things in games, and it's something that both Doom and Thief use as part of the core gameplay.

That's why in that Duke thread I said that Doom 4 won't really be Doom if it doesn't have that exploration as a core gameplay mechanic, no matter how the visuals or sounds compare stylistically to the originals.

I know what you're feeling. While I felt that the hell levels from the Lost Mission were very doom-like in atmosphere, they were completely linear and the action was boring.

If Doom didn't exist, I would probably play Duke 3D.

Heretic
Hexen
Unreal Tournament
Worms Armageddon
Midtown Madness
Metal Slug
Mortal Kombat
Tekken

Interesting, there are a lot of DF responses.
Makes me think I should start another Doomworld succession game...

Clonehunter said:

Dark Forces

Yup. I'd probably end up on that side anyways if they went open source and got more of a community going.

Are we now speaking of pc games or games generally? If only pc games:Hexen,quake, strife. pc+console: same as before + crash bandicoot, contra, castlevania, metal gear etc...

DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION. FEEL THE RHYTHM WITH YOUR BODY.

Nah but seriously I don't even play Doom all that often these days unless I can convince a friend to co-op with me so... any of the other games I play that aren't Doom? I actually kind of feel like the odd man out here in that I don't actually play all that many first person shooters regularly. Most of my favorite games are of the oldschool 2D variety, rhythm games, or small indie games.

I've got a shit ton of Xbox 360, Steam and GOG games at my disposal, most of which are either pecked at or completely unplayed, so I'd be slowly advancing through all of those without Doom to distract me every now and then. I think, if I didn't have Doom as a creative outlet, I could conceivably pick up something newer, or my life might've taken a different direction entirely - it's just been a part of my life for that long now.

In terms of sheer playing time? Counter Strike, in any form. Been playing over a decade, still haven't gotten bored.