Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ProGamerX56

Opinions on my first run?

Welcome to the forum!

Your demo is really weak to be honest, it's obvious that you didn't put any effort into it. You get lost (???), bump into corners everywhere and hesitate to use straferunning, which is significantly faster than normal running and thus should be used almost always.

If you want to record speedruns of decent quality, prepare to put a lot of effort into them. Even incredibly skilled players often need hundreds of retries to finally get a satisfying result. You'll never improve your skills if you're just going to record such lazy one try walkthroughs.

Good luck. :)

Knew that was coming. Note I am only a newbie, I did actually try, but my best time is only 38 seconds. Thanks for giving me a point in the right direction. I keep forgetting the route so forgive me. Tried uv turbo around twenty times and got a shitty time, so embarrassing i dont wish to upload.
Thanks
Pro

Surely even a newbie can at least learn the route so that he doesn't have to look around during the run. :) I think you should try improving your time again and again until you feel like you really did your best. It will be a good experience for you, eventually you'll start noticing little things here and there that help to save a little time and you'll learn a lot.

Largely agree with Memfis here. There's not enough straferunning, and you seem to get lost a couple times. Also, there's numerous bumps and movement difficulty. I suggest you perhaps watch some -nomonsters demos from other players to see the sort of movement you should be attempting to do.

Anyway, I tried this level, and a good time should be around 30 seconds, and a pretty good time would be under 30 seconds. I suggest that you try and bring the time down to something around there by taking Memfis' and my advice. Eventually, once I get a good time, I'll post a demo in the nomonsters thread.

Also I suggest that you follow general naming conventions for wads. If they have speedruns, usually, you should go on the DSDA for the wad and find out what naming convention has been used the most. So, for Attack, this might be attko039, where the first four letters signify the wad, "o" is for nomonsters, and the last three numbers are the time.

Shock :O
I do not get lost, i take a wrong turn. But i knw the route. Ill retry, post that and say what you think. BTW so strafing is alt shift arrow right? Dont worry, i posted this so you could give me advice.

Im doing better, got 35s. If I stop bumping into stuff early on I can make a goal of 30s. :D
Plus done NM Bad Dream 17s, which I'm proud of, and can't see how to improve lol.

bdmo17.zip

Well, that's some progress already. I still say that you need to use straferunning (strafing left/right plus moving forward/backward at the same time) more often since it is like 1.4 times faster than simple running. Of course the problem with straferunning is that you don't see where you are running to too well, but if you think about it, you already know the map so you don't really need to look at everything. It might take some time to get used to but it will become the most important time saver in your runs.

Got Choc Doom and tested the Doom 1 WAD, will test the Doom 2 WAD and run some UV-Turbo and No Monster runs tomoz.
Do you think Choc Doom will get confused if I have both wads in the folder at the same time? Or shall I just use the warp function in config.

Right, recorded a demo that I am very proud of. 26s UV-Turbo, excellent but improvable, only 4 secs under 4shockblast :D. Got stuck on a Nazi for a few frames so I'll try again and see if that doesn't happen.
Attached both demos, both have same problems :(.

wlftbo26.zip

Attack nomo speed

Here's my attack demo in 0:27 on your route, along with a bonus faster route that's still improvable. As you can see, the level is mostly ran at a diagonal, which is what straferunning is; this is much faster than normal running (you have to press forward and move right/left simultaneously). Also, my standard route features relatively few movement issues, as I tried to iron out all bumps for a good time. You also missed the wallrun and the alternate route, though the alternate route would be difficult without straferunning (you'd likely want to learn strafe50 for it, but you should first probably practice straferunning).

Good luck speedrunning!