Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pleasure Elemental

How valuable is this? (D-1000 level disc)

If it's the same as this one, not much. If it's original and you have the box, inlays, etc., maybe from 5US$ to 15US$?

It's funny how they make their artwork more than what the game is design-wise, also I get a weird Wolf3D spear of destiny vibe from it maybe because of the yellow stone and the red hand that makes me think of the Angel of Death from it.

Pleasure Elemental said:

I bought this back in the 90s but it won't work on my current PC

If you mean install.exe, I wouldn't worry about that unless you're determined to use the ancient D! front-end (a DOS utility for vanilla Doom/Doom2) it installs.

any suggestions of a ballpark figure?

Maybe $20 if you have the box and manual.

Heh - some people list stuff on eBay for what they think it should be worth. £100 is somewhat excessive, but not as bad as the 3 or 4 thousand dollars another seller was hoping to get for their Doom Comic a year or two back.

Avoozl said:

It's funny how they make their artwork more than what the game is design-wise, also I get a weird Wolf3D spear of destiny vibe from it maybe because of the yellow stone and the red hand that makes me think of the Angel of Death from it.

MORE than what the game is, design-wise? If anything, the art, while not bad, is underselling it.

Avoozl said:

I tend to find these shovelware boxes more enjoyable and collectible for their box art as opposed to what's inside. I've seen some killer shovelware art before that would look great next to my other stuff.

GoatLord said:

MORE than what the game is, design-wise? If anything, the art, while not bad, is underselling it.

I don't think anything can undersell shovelware content :P

If it is like the D! disk I have, it is easy to access the wads.
It is likely they will all be wads that are available elsewhere.

Look for a directory like D!.
If you can create a file link to that directory name, then it is easy to play any of the wads within that directory using the link.
The only protection I remember was using a directory name with a '!' in it, which makes it difficult to enter normally. You can put the directory name in quotes ("D!"), or rename a link, or some other work around.

Easy way to check if it works is to run DOSbox or a virtual machine set up with DOS.
Many of those bulk wads on a disc were little more than bootleg products. I got a few that even look like they were made in MS paint from the doom sprites. In fact most were illegal. They either violated the terms of Id, the wad maker's terms and and from what I recall mods were not to be sold for profit. Also many of these discs also used a good amount of deceptive advertising on features and mods. I remember one disc even implying that it was adding features to the doom engine like slopes and "VR quality" graphics. Some of the text files included with wads even stated not to be shipped on a CD and sold. Still it was a small time operation during the infancy of a massive game market and there wasn't much that could be done or that was worth doing. The current BS around copyrights wasn't in games at the time. DRM, who knew?

D!zone was one of the better ones I recall. The maps it came with were mostly terrible. Some didn't work, others looked like learning/test maps, others were first time projects, buggy and terrible. What made it nice was the front end launcher for doom. You could change the wad directory to include better wads and thus making D! even better. Once I had a good internet connection I did that. The tools and options in the launcher made it a worthy tool even if it came with crap wads.

Still there were many such discs. Unless there is a know reason I wouldn't pay more than $5 for one.