Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

Vanilla? Unlikely.

I personally like skulltag because it feels less 'bloated' than zdoom/gzdoom and has some other fancy things like new built-in weapons.

Vanilla Doom? Not really, no. I occasionally fire it up under DOSBox just to see how a particular thing happened with the original engine but that's it. I can't say that I enjoy playing with the original engine any more.

Most played/preferred ports? GZDoom, ZDoom. Risen3D. GZDoom for most of my playing & editing. ZDoom just to check if something looks the same in hardware/software and Risen3D for a change, or to play an old map with new bells and whistles or one of the model-intensive scripted maps by Sitters/Abbs.

I stick to GZDoom a lot. I like the perspective looking "natural" when aiming up and down, even though it messes the sky up a bit at the very top and bottom. I always use it without the filter though, I like the big blocky pixels. I use Zdoom from time to time when I want the gritty VGA look. I haven't used vanilla in ages. I imagine if I did, I'd have to go through a short adjustment period because I've been spoiled by aiming and high resolutions.

I like GZDOOM for the advanced features but I sometimes I like to use PRBOOM+ for its classic limited settings and the nice looking alt HUD, the one with the coloured bars.

I think I stopped using Vanilla Doom when the first GL ports appeared. I don't even use Chocolate Doom to test vanilla compatibility, though I may start soon.

My fave port is Risen3D, which is my main playing and testing port. It seems to be the fastest one on my machine, and never gives me the sense of slight halting I perceive in GZDoom or JDoom. It also looks more "right" to me in brightness, contrast and gamma. I've never had to adjust it, the way I do with GZDoom, which seems alternately too dark or too washed out.

I use PRBoom+ to play demos.

I test all my levels on Risen3D, GZDoom, PRBoom+ and JDoom. I almost never play for pleasure on any port except Risen3D, with the exception of GZDoom, which I use to play ZDoom levels.

I don't use Vanilla Doom anymore. As of now, I have myself restricted to GZDoom, although I do use ZDoom when GZDoom lags too much (like on Torm667's "The Refinery").

When the stars align and wind blows in certain directions I will fire up chocolate doom for a bit but other wise it's a non stop Gzdoom party with Mouse look on and auto aim off because not being able to look up and down is dumb.

Captain Red said:
(...) because not being able to look up and down is dumb.

Nowadays it's called oldschool and it's not dumb --- it's the way it was meant to be.

DoomGater said:
it's the way it was meant to be.

Why respond with the least intelligent phrase possible? Meant in what sense? One can only think of the voices of Romero and Carmack booming, "here be it, my children, now follow the Way of DOOM or burn!"

It was made that way due to historical reasons and technical restraints. I like vanilla too, because it's fun, minimalistic and stable, but not because of some imperative.

princetontiger said:
if a wad requires zdoom, do you skip it? or do you load zdoom?

I'm a bit more extreme because I spend my Sundays at the vanilla temple, yet otherwise the dilemma is similar: I sometimes play port WADs by joining online servers, but leave single player to (limit-raised) vanilla. I guess God doesn't pay attention to the Internet!

myk said:

...think of the voices of ... Carmack booming...

Try as I might, that voice will never be anything other than a nerdy whine in my ears :P

I think the voice of Carmack booming would be more likely to say "okay, you've got the game data and the specs, now write your own engine to play it, from scratch; you have two days".

SteveD said:

...sense of slight halting I perceive in GZDoom or JDoom.

I can't speak for GZDoom but in Doomsday this typically occurs when a resource is cached that hasn't been precached before starting the map/game. Once all resources have been cached there shouldn't be any stalling. We intend to improve the resource precaching for a future release.

Gez said:

I think the voice of Carmack booming would be more likely to say "okay, you've got the game data and the specs, now write your own engine to play it, from scratch; you have two days".

Should be 40 days and 40 nights, alone in the desert where there's no distractions. Just a cave with a laptop, a coke machine, and a nearby oasis with a pizza delivery joint.

Definitely ZDoom, because I'm a total UDMF-whore when I'm mapping. I probably spend as much time in the scripting window as I do in the main view of Doombuilder.

My only qualm is that dynamic lights show up as exclamation marks in ZDoom (sw-mode, obviously), whereas in GZDoom's sw-mode they are simply absent. I spend 90% of my time testing/playing in sw-mode, but I do like playing around with hw features, for those people that might play my maps with dynamic lights on.

GZDoom all the way. I like the OpenGL effects, and all the ZDoom goodies like hi-res modes, free look, crosshair and Heretic support. I'm not a fan of the high resolution textures and polygon models of certain other ports (especially the dodgy 3D monsters).

I've yet to find a decent Doom WAD.
There may 1000's of em, but they mostly suck,
yep I'm sure to be popular for saying that but it's true.

I stick to vanilla Doom because I only go for the best, but if anyone
has a decent Doom Mod they think would change my mind feel free to reply
Total conversions for Ultimate Doom are preference.

I'm curious to see which source ports players use and why. With all the variety out there and more ways to play, it might help devs improve their ideas even further.

I use odamex, zdaemon and zandronum regularly for online play, accompanied with IDE for its super easy all-access server display and support for all the Doom IRC channels. I love dooming in any form and this allows the most access to online games - I can nearly always scratch my death matching itch.

For single play and map testing, I use DOSbox with doom2 v1.666. This is for two reasons: firstly, to ensure any maps I make can run on any pc for any player at any time - no chance of VPOs, tutti frutti and other texture oddities going unnoticed. Secondly, goddamn nostalgia. Before I discovered DOSbox, I was using Doom95 with the mouse fix patch, not realizing that D95 has an increased visplane limit.

When friends come over, I use Doom Legacy over 2 PCs and enable split screen, which results in a very classic 4 player deathmatch. Specifically I use the 1.42 build from 2004 called the 'birthday edition', the reason being that newer builds don't seem to have a launcher, and they also reset my config every time.

In terms of other utils, I use xpadder to hook up Xbox/play station controllers, mainly when console playing friends are over. I've introduced a few new-age gamers to Doom by doing this, they always think highly of the game once they try it in their controller "safe zone" (them dern kids and their iPads don't know hatta use a dern keyboard, con sarnit!)

For mapping and editing, I use doom builder 1, XWE for compiling, midi2mus (because old versions of dos doom, as well as legacy, don't support MIDI format) and guitar pro 5 for composing/editing existing midi files.

What source ports/ other utils do you all use?

Pretty much what Blue Shadow said other than me using Doom Builder 2 instead of GZDoom Builder.

BTW I wouldn't suggest testing vanilla maps with a ZDoom-based source port :p.