Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

I generally use Chocolate Doom these days for single player, and Zandronum for casual co-op with friends.

Doomkid92 said:

For single play and map testing, I use DOSbox with doom2 v1.666. This is for two reasons: firstly, to ensure any maps I make can run on any pc for any player at any time - no chance of VPOs, tutti frutti and other texture oddities going unnoticed. Secondly, goddamn nostalgia.

I can understand wanting to use vanilla as a baseline, but why an older version? I can't see much nostalgia value in using a slightly outdated version. 1.9 is pretty much the accepted standard for vanilla, you'd be wasting effort trying to get it to run in a version of vanilla that almost no one plays.

Doomkid92 said:

I use doom builder 1, XWE

oh god why

Hurricyclone said:

BTW I wouldn't suggest testing vanilla maps with a ZDoom-based source port :p.

I agree, I always used Doom95 until i discovered DOSbox.

Sodaholic said:

you'd be wasting effort trying to get it to run in a version of vanilla that almost no one plays.

I've looked up, down, left and right, and can't find a functioning version of the 1.9 executable anywhere on the web, and I cant find a place to patch the EXE. I do have the 1.9 IWAD though. As far as I can tell, there's not -too- much different between the two, but I would like to get my hands on a 1.9 EXE.

I've been using DB1 for years, it's just what I'm used to :) I tried installing DB2 but it just doesn't agree with my PC, crashes every time. Im not too fussed because DB1 does everything I need.

I also don't know why XWE has such a bad reputation, it's always worked great for GFX/Sprite/Music importing and merging, for me at least :P

Predominantly ZDoom, or Chocolate Doom for playing.

I use PerKristian's excellent sound replacement quite often, and generally use the Spritefix wad also.

For mapping and modding, DB2 and Slade3

For testing, ZDoom, Chocorenderlimits and Chocolate Doom, and where necessary, GZDoom.

I usually use skulltag to play maps, but I have several other ports for the sake of testing my own maps.

Doomkid92 said:

I've looked up, down, left and right, and can't find a functioning version of the 1.9 executable anywhere on the web, and I cant find a place to patch the EXE.

From the DoomWorld Website

I know there are Doom 2 patches on the idgames archive, though they require you to patch them incrementally in steps. My Doom 2 CD has Doom 2 1.7, and I remember ripping my hair out trying to patch the thing in the right order.

With Source ports GZDOOM mainly, but PRBOOM+ for every other odd time I wish to play in a vanilla-like way with the alt-HUD, I also use Doom 64 Ex.

Utils would be Doom Builder 2, GZDOOM Builder, Doom Builder 64, XWE, and Slade.

GZDoom, does everything I want it to, and does it good. I have pretty much every main source port installed though, for special cases.

It's funny how this thread pops up every 4-6 months and nobody complains =-)

For me, 3DGE is my go-to port. If I play anything made for another port specifically (rarely do I however) I will use Zdoom.

I use Legacy on my arcade machine for two player, but that will change once 3DGE gets proper input handling for the second person. ChocoDoom is on the arcade machine as well for old-school one player.

PrBoom+ for non-vanilla stuff ; otherwise I use Chocolate Doom (hi-res fork currently).

I'm not a WAD maker, but I'm toying with Eureka and I like it.

Hurricyclone said:

BTW I wouldn't suggest testing vanilla maps with a ZDoom-based source port :p.

If you know what you're doing you can test in ZDoom to your hearts content for vanilla, limit removing or Boom maps. All you need to remember is to tag all line actions that aren't DR or D1 and keep architectural complexity appropriate.

Probably helps that I started out on DEU using DOS back in the mid 90's, mind, but I made DTWiD E3M6 testing in ZDoom and only had a problem with something I'd never seen done before (the barrel thing at the start).

Anyway, I play in ZDoom by default and only use GZDoom if I really have to. My current weapons of choice are ZDL 3.1 for launching, DB2 for mapping (with the GZDoom Builder plug-in for ZDoom mapping), SLumpEd for resource loading (I needed to upgrade from XWE), Paint XP for graphics editing and chocorenderlimits for if something has to be vanilla compatible and still be detailed.

Doomkid92 said:

midi2mus

I hate you.

For reference, MIDI support exists in vanilla Doom since version 1.5. Yes, that means that v1.666 can use MIDI lumps.

Doomkid92 said:

I've looked up, down, left and right, and can't find a functioning version of the 1.9 executable anywhere on the web

Download the latest shareware version. There you go.

I use PrBoom+ for "vanilla feeling" with nice graphics and Chocolate Doom / CnDoom if I want to make it feel like vanilla even more.

As far as multiplayer goes, I've used ZDaemon and Odamex thus far. I yet have to check out Zandronum.

Regarding single player WADs, I haven't really tried anything ZDoom related yet. Be it a source port, or a WAD designed with ZDoom in mind.

By default I use Zandronum. Whenever I download a wad, you can be pretty sure I'll run it in Zandronum first. I prefer the port because it's able to run a sheer majority of all existing wads, plus I can also immediately test the maps in a deathmatch mode with bots to get a rough idea how multiplayer works there (not that I do it often). And it also supports both software and hardware rendering. By default I play in the software, as I like its appearance more.

I only switch to other ports when I need to. If a wad uses advanced (ZDoom) features, I am forced to switch to ZDoom, GZDoom or sometimes Edge or Eternity Engine. If I want to record a demo (I don't do it often), I use PrBoom-plus. If I am testing a map for vanilla compatibility, I do it with Chocolate Doom / Chocorenderlimits, or even plain vanilla at times. Sometimes I also try ZDaemon or Odamex on a map, mainly just to check compatibility with these multiplayer-focused ports.

I test my own wads always in the lowest compatible port. I set up my DoomBuilder2 to test vanilla wads in Chocorenderlimits, Boom wads in PrBoom-plus and the rest in Zandronum. I eventually test my maps in other compatible ports too.

For wad editing I'm using Doom Builder 2 and SLADE3, which I can recommend to anyone.

Most of the time, the following:

GZDoom for playing
Doom Builder 2 for mapping
SLADE3 for wad management

Chocolate Doom, PrBoom+, occasionally ZDoom if there's a ZDoom-specific mod that I want to try.

For editing: deutex for building WADs, NWT in DOSbox if I just want to inspect a WAD. Not sure what I'd use as an editor nowadays; if push came to shove I might fire up Yadex or maybe give Eureka a try. Gimp for graphics editing.

GZDoom pretty much. Maybe PrBoom+ for the rare demo playback. And Odamex for the tiny sliver of multiplayer Doomage I've done over the past few years.

Phobus said:

If you know what you're doing you can test in ZDoom to your hearts content for vanilla, limit removing or Boom maps. All you need to remember is to tag all line actions that aren't DR or D1 and keep architectural complexity appropriate.

Oh, true. I was pointing out my mistakes in the past that ZDoom testing don't let me see slime trails and other stuff.

Doomkid92 said:

I agree, I always used Doom95 until i discovered DOSbox.

Man, I MISS Doom95, used to simply play Doom all damn day with it, but not anymore on my new computer because it doesn't play music and the game appears in the upper right and very distorted. DOSbox is now my other option of course.

For general dicking around, I use whichever shortcut I drag the WAD onto first. For some mysterious reason it's usually that ancient Skulltag shortcut that I still haven't removed.

For online play I use Zandronum. I have ZDaemon but never really bother with it. For recording videos I use ZDoom with "Doom (Strict)" compatflags set (with the exception of certain bugs such as dumb shit like this).

On occasion I'll fuck around with almost all other ports too, as and when it suits me.

Direct WAD editing is all SLADE3 & (GZ)Doom Builder, with map testing done in whichever port is most appropriate. XWE can go and rot, because it's a pile of WAD-corrupting unstable shit. I'll frequently use PhotoFiltre for graphics editing.

Zdoom, plus a pack I made with smooth sprites and sounds.

And for the editing stuff, Doombuilder 2 and Slumped.

ZDoom almost all the time except for stuff it can't run (mostly GZDoom, Eternity, or ancient DeHackEd work). I use compat settings to approximate vanilla and Boom and PrBoom+ to play back demos.

I use SLADE3 to crack stuff open and gauge interest by looking at the maps and resources.

I've horsed around in Doom Builder 2, but never finished anything.

I've always used ZDoom for my standard doom gaming/testing needs, though I occasionally play a few GZDoom specific wads from time to time.

Currently use Doombuilder 2 and SLumpEd for editing.

Still use Skulltag for playing lan with my friends. Been to lazy to update to Zandronum.