Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Thi4f is a goddamn trainwreck

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143290

So, a few 'lucky' individuals managed to get their hands on a copy of the new Thief reboot before the street-date. They've been uploading videos on YouTube and doing livestreams, and the game is an utter mess. I am not exaggerating, not even a little.

The sound design is terrible. Every time you visit the City hub, the same conversations play among the locals each time you pass by them throughout the entire game. With the exception of shallow water, all footstep sounds are the same regardless of what kind of surface is being walked on. Guards have literally no more than one line for given situations. Their idle barks always consist of "Maybe I'll get lucky tonight after my shift." Their suspicious barks always consist of "I'm not so sure about this." Sometimes, sound effects and dialog don't even play when they're supposed to. Lighting strikes without accompanying thunder.

Everything about the story and plot is poorly written, very predictable and extremely cliched. The Thief-taker general serves no purpose to the story, he only exists to get in your way a few times. Garret is no longer pragmatic, but is boastful and callous. He's been turned into a very shallow and one-dimensional character. The dialog is cringeworthy.

The levels are often smaller than even Deadly Shadows' maps, and they're on-rails linear. The AI is even dumber than T1/2's. Freedom of movement has been scrapped for Uncharted style scripted movement, even in first person. You even enter Uncharted style third person sequences.

There is absolutely nothing redeeming about this entry. I know AAA games are often mediocre, but they're usually at least competent and polished, even if bland. EM really dropped the ball on this one, I find it impossible to believe that a human being looked at this and said "Okay, looks good to me. Let's ship it!"

If you were unfortunate enough to pre-order Thi4f, I would strongly recommend that you cancel it as soon as possible to spare yourself of empty pockets and agony.

Seen this coming a mile away. The developers where counting on the name to sale copies, so they half ass'ed it. Also the trend for years now has been to dumb games down. Expecting it to have game-play on par with the first two was getting your hopes up to far. The idea of a floors surface directly effecting the volume of your footsteps would make a lot of gamers heads explode these days.

Oh fuck, this is going to make Deadly Shadows look like a masterpiece carved out of solid gold, isn't it? It looks like a bad rip-off of Dishonored, which is extra sad for the genre-establishing franchise. It seems so painfully linear and cinematic that it could pass for a Dragon's Lair sequel. The cringe also seems to be strong with this one. RIP Garrett's coolness. Way to drop the ball, Eidos.

Sodaholic said:

If you were fucking stupid enough to pre-order any video game, I would strongly recommend that you cancel it as soon as possible to spare yourself of empty pockets and agony.

FTFY

That's too bad, can't say I'm surprised but I saw a few minutes of gameplay footage and got a little hopeful. By the time I have a PC that can run it it'll probably be down to $5 and will maybe be patched a little, so I might end up giving it a shot then anyhow.

Wait a minute. Is the devs same people who did Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

And by watching some stream, I gotta agree that AI is really, really stupid.

CorSair said:

Wait a minute. Is the devs same people who did Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Same company, different team (Eidos-Montreal has about 500 employees according to Wikipedia). They apparently also had some key people leaving the company during development.

Based upon gameplay footage, I doubt it will compare to Thief 1 & 2, but it is Eidos Montréal, so... It's probably going to be alright.

I feel stubborn enough to leave everything as it is now and not to cancel my pre-order. My expectations were never too high with modern games (including those bearing loud titles, once disappointed by Doom 3 greatly I learned to do less comparison to glorious predecessors and more independent analysis), so I can still hope it would be acceptable at least. Even if it would be partly as great as Dishonored (I'm a fan of it, basically, even though some critiques about it are reasonable enough [and its stealth aspect is far more inferior to Thief's, as well as combat system sort of sucks when compared to Dark Messiah if we started to talk about legacy]) - I'll be pleased.

Satyr000 said:

Seen this coming a mile away. The developers where counting on the name to sale copies, so they half ass'ed it.

Right, but people were expecting that it would at least be competent, even if mediocre as hell. The main problem is the production values, eclipsing the bad writing and lobotomized gameplay.

Bucket said:

I skimmed the thread; can we confirm that this is the gold copy, or at least a late beta?

It's gold for certain. The game is already in many retailer's back rooms, the leak is the result of careless retailers selling it before the street date.

dew said:

Oh fuck, this is going to make Deadly Shadows look like a masterpiece carved out of solid gold, isn't it?

Without a doubt. NuThief isn't just a crappy Thief game, it's just a bad game in general.

schwerpunk said:

Based upon gameplay footage, I doubt it will compare to Thief 1 & 2, but it is Eidos Montréal, so... It's probably going to be alright.

Same studio, completely different team. Also allegedly rushed in 18 months. Any footage you may have seen outside of the leaked game is handpicked and shows only the parts with the least problems.

I watched the entire game start to finish, the production values are through the floor. Believe me when I say everything about this is amateurishly bad. The only good thing I can say is that the graphics are okay, I guess. Everything else is slop.

This game is going to be torn a new one once it gets into more people's hands. It will make for some very entertaining review material!

Demonologist said:

I can still hope it would be acceptable at least.

I wasted seven hours of my life watching the entire game just to see how bad it was. Believe me, this game isn't just kind of crappy, it really is unacceptably bad. If you really want to be ripped off, don't cancel your preorder, but I would suggest that you do. You'll thank me for it when it gets critically destroyed.

@ Sodaholic: well, its price isn't that much of a wealth to make me really regret even in case of utter disappointment, but thanks for your warning. Besides, I have a bunch of time-consuming games to play now, so if they are about to release plenty of patches and hotfixes to cover the most noticeable holes in their game - I'll be able to give them more than enough time to do that.

To demonstrate my endurance in case you're curious: you ever heard of Disciples 3 and its black aura of disgrace? In the end I liked that game (and I liked it even more with its Reincarnation, if you know what I mean). Call me psychopathic deviant, but sometimes I can stand against atrocities when there's something else worth looking at.

Demonologist said:

Besides, I have a bunch of time-consuming games to play now, so if they are about to release plenty of patches and hotfixes to cover the most noticeable holes in their game - I'll be able to give them more than enough time to do that.

I'm sorry, but sir, you are not very smart are you. If you've got a lot of other games to play for the time being, why on Earth would you pre-order yet an other game instead of buying it when you've got the time to play it? Most likely the game will be cheaper at that point in time, especially so if it turns out to be a steaming pile of horse manure, so you would end up saving money even if you do decide to buy the game.

Your words are poison.

I can never predict when the game gets discount, chances are that it will happen pretty late, and I like myself stocked and being able to choose options. Besides, I can still try it out after its release to decide whether I have to wait for the thing to get patched or not, what I was trying to say is that I potentially can do so if it's too flawed technically in its original form. And if it's not - then I don't really have to wait for something, right? Disappointment is disappointment, and thank Buddha I'm not that poor nowadays to tremble in avarice for each coin paid. And I'm not that much of a game buying type, either.

With a name as stupid as thiaf I'm not in the least bit surprised.

They should just focus on Deus Ex. Everytime they revive a franchise they are at risk of staining their name. While Deus Ex HR was a worthy sequel, if Thief 4 bombs really bad it's gonna hurt them more than DX benifitted them.

Demonologist said:

Your words are poison.

Nope, his words are sensible advice. Although if sense were common, everybody would have it, so feel free to carry on this foolish path.

lol modern gaming.

If what Soda says is true and comes out in that state, Eidos Montreal is gonna lose a lot of money and respect from new and old fans alike.

Has anyone had problems seeing the video? It sounds fucking hilarious and I really wanna see it but it won't load.

@ Phobus: words themselves may be reasonable, but unnecessary sarcastic undertone puts the reason into a background.

Don't take it as an offence, but my reasons, my ways and - above all - my financial situation are none of your concern. So calling me a fool is the last thing you both should do, really. It's all about a game itself, not anyone's wages. Cheers.

Demonologist said:

Don't take it as an offence, but my reasons, my ways and - above all - my financial situation are none of your concern. So calling me a fool is the last thing you both should do, really. It's all about a game itself, not anyone's wages. Cheers.

Buying shit blindly, especially at day-one pricing, just perpetuates the problems with the film/games industry.

Buy it for the full price if you crave it that much, but don't tell us to stop calling you foolish, because that's the behaviour you are exhibiting. We are an entitled lot and we will use our freedom to mock you. As much as we don't care about your budget, we dislike you supporting shitty games by buying them for full price.

Hard to gauge where the truth lies on this one when virtually everyone is trying to find faults in this game. I'll probably still give it a rent.

@ Technician: Not blindly, I took some time to familiarize myself with the concept. And believe me, I'm not the one to blame for the course of gaming industry. I pick only few games a year and may be called an outsider in terms of current gaming fashion without hesitation.

@ dew: Ingenious. How is my desire to buy something at full or discounted price affects you in particular, Mr. Entitled Lot? You sound like a voice of christendom to me. Rats always rely on their numbers. Also, please take a note of my words regarding directions of the general gaming and my self-proclaimed enmity towards it. I support anything I want, and blaming me for your issues with the modern world's decline is far more foolish than my behavior.

@Demonologist
Even if you have money to spare, waste is still waste. Especially when you're wasting it on a guaranteed mess.

zap610 said:

Has anyone had problems seeing the video? It sounds fucking hilarious and I really wanna see it but it won't load.

Livestream's been over for a while. I posted the link to that TTLG thread to show what people were saying as the stream was ongoing. This might help to catch you up, though there is commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HqRw4peBoA

Mr. Chris said:

If what Soda says is true

Coopersville said:

Hard to gauge where the truth lies on this one when virtually everyone is trying to find faults in this game.

It's not hard to find faults when they garishly present and flaunt themselves.

I know criticism is always highly subjective, but this is honest to god one of the few times I feel 100% confident that I'm being completely objective here. Trust me, the truth lies in the game itself.

darknation said:

Looks bad. Not colon marines bad, but bad nonetheless.

It's pretty fucking close, though.