Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomRenegade

GFX Issues

Ok, so I have m_doom and other textures modified for the GFX, but every time I open it ip it just loads the music/ maps...
If I add the title pic it doesn't show up, and credit gives an error, "R_InstallSpirteLump: bad frame characters in lump credit" even if I change it to a credit I previously used, it gives the same issue... I restarted my computer but it didn't work, and when I was previously working on a wad, it would load half the maps, instead it would loud the original maps for doom 2 even if they were there

I use XWE and SKULLTAG, the GFX files are in Bmp format

Make sure there are no 'markers' around your GFX files in your wad. If its between and S_Start and s_end lump, or f_start and f_end, etc. it will attempt to load it as a sprite or texture file, when it's looking for a GFX file. Hope this helps!

DoomRenegade said:

I use XWE

I think that is your issue right there.

Use SLADE 3, XWE is extremely buggy and unstable (It can even corrupt your wads)

ALWAYS backup your wads in progress, on that note. The amount of times I've accidentally opened a wad in 2 editors at once and fucked myself.. Ugh.

Doomkid92 said:

ALWAYS backup your wads in progress, on that note. The amount of times I've accidentally opened a wad in 2 editors at once and fucked myself.. Ugh.

Wastes.wad took me 3 months to make, XWE was why.

The "R_InstallSpriteLump:" error message means there's one or more incorrectly named sprite lumps, which might have something to do with where your modified graphics are located (as Doomkid92 suggested). The missing maps could be something as simple as loading wads in the wrong order when testing. It will also pay to check the X/Y offset of graphics like m_doom, since that effects where they appear on-screen.

@mrthejoshmon - XWE is OK if you're running an old version of Windows like I am (WinXP) and are aware if its quirks. I think most of the stability issues started with Vista and I've no idea if XWE even runs on Win8.

GreyGhost said:

@mrthejoshmon - XWE is OK if you're running an old version of Windows like I am (WinXP) and are aware if its quirks. I think most of the stability issues started with Vista and I've no idea if XWE even runs on Win8.

I am on XP as well, XWE just seems to enjoy killing my Doom wads (However it works extremely well if I either just use it to quickly check a wad or use it to extract resources from wads and other compatible files like PAKs, GRPs and PK3s)

That error message means that there is a lump in the sprite namespace (between S_START/S_END marker lumps) that does not fit the sprite naming convention. If this happens when you add a TITLEPIC, then it happens because you add the TITLEPIC in the wrong place.

This may also happen if you have an S_END lump without having an S_START lump.

mrthejoshmon said:

I am on XP as well, XWE just seems to enjoy killing my Doom wads (However it works extremely well if I either just use it to quickly check a wad or use it to extract resources from wads and other compatible files like PAKs, GRPs and PK3s)

SLADE opens those.

DoomRenegade said:

I use XWE and SKULLTAG, the GFX files are in Bmp format

Skulltag is dead, BTW. Use Zandronum.

Also, the BMP format is not supported by any engine I know of, but I suppose you mean Doom's picture format because software like XWE likes to make you believe it's the same thing.

In this instance, the issue seems nothing to do with the wad editing software used, why turn the thread into bickering about what wad editing software is better?

Ok, I fixed it, I deleted everything under the SS_START to SS_END, and then just put credit and titlepic and it works! But now I have to replace everything I deleted