Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spike

The Underworld - Blood Keep (Part 1-3)

PART I

Billy Hendry looked up to the blue sky, smiling as a delta of birds flew high above. It had been a great day at school - he'd just picked up three stars for excellent behaviour that week, not to mention more points for his class House. Swinging his bag happily, he turned into the garden path that led to his home. His grin widened further as he caught the smell of dinner, making him feel all the more hungry. Reaching towards the door handle, he stepped inside, shouting greetings to mum and dad... and the memory shifted.
Private William Hendry stepped into his parent's home, flanked by three other Privates from squad two. Blood splattered the floor and walls of the hallway, creating a bloody trail that led both upstairs and into the adjacent living room.
Not them, he pleaded silently. Not them. Please...
Another Private kicked the living room door open, recoiling with disgust as he covered his mouth from the foetid stench. Hendry forced himself to look.
Mum didn't look like mum any more. No skin, no hair... only muscle, exposed organs - at least those that hadn't already pooled on the floor beneath. She hung motionlessly by her neck from the ceiling above dad. Dad's head was missing. They never did find it.
Hendry felt a numbness wash over him, as if someone had given him a hit of smack without the good bits. No tears, no words, no rage. He just stood there, his lips forming words that his vocal chords had no hope of producing.
After nearly half an hour , Corporal William Hendry let out an animalistic scream of pure, unbridled pain.

Hendry awoke suddenly, the nightmare reaching the same anguished conclusion as it had nearly every night for five years. Blinking tears away, he reached for the clock.
The clock wasn't there. Neither, for that matter, was his room. The cold stone of the cobbled floor sent a chill through his being, enthusing him to drag himself to his feet. The first thing he saw sent his mind reeling.
Through a barred window he saw the sky. Not blue, but deep red, the colour of fresh blood. In the far distance, great mountains rose to meet the hellish sky, looking like a surreal painting. Hendry stepped towards the window, looking down into the vast expanse that lay below. A river of scarlet liquid lay several hundred feet beyond his vantage, staining the brick walls around it a gruesome red. A tall fountain of blood rose from the river, sending a soft splattering in all directions.
He backed away from the window, praying he’d wake up soon. A dream within a dream? Turning slowly, he examined the room - A low-ceilinged chamber, its dark walls lit only by several candle lamps that adorned the crudely bricked walls. Opposite the window, he could make out a door in the near distance.
"It never gets any easier" croaked a tired voice. Hendry span round, reflexively grabbing the SPAS he’d forgotten he was holding.
“McMillan?” he hazarded.
“The one and only,” he chuckled, pulling himself to his feet, using the walls for support. The sleeves of his fatigues were blackened, burnt away in places. His combat-shotgun and rocket launcher lay on the ground nearby. “Looks like we made it here in one piece.”
Hendry gazed back through the window. “Made it where? What the hell’s goin’ on with the sky?”
McMillan allowed himself a grin. “You still don’t get it, do you? Hell, Corporal. We’re in Hell.”
Hendry stood dumbfounded.
“You’ve gotta be kidding, McMillan…” he stared on at the Colonel a little longer. “You really believe in all this, don’t you? Heaven, Hell, demons and eternal damnation?”
McMillan walked to the window, taking a long, hard gaze outside. “I’ve already been here twice before.” He closed his eyes and shook his head. “Third time’s a charm I guess.” Looking back up, his expression became almost apologetic. “I’m sorry, Corporal. This was the only option. There was no way we would have got out of that cavern in time. We’d be cinders if we hadn’t passed through the portal.” He turned his gaze back to the red sky. “At least now I know what you meant by a ‘golden beast’.”
The Corporal frowned quizzically, obviously lost. “What are you talking about?”
It was the Colonel’s turn for confusion. “You mean you don’t remember? The wounds in the cavern, the voices… the creature at the portal?”
Hendry shrugged. “Should I? Come on, I doubt I’d forget something like tha…”
The grinding metal caught his attention. McMillan had heard it too. Padding over to the weapons, he grabbed the combat shotgun, checked it’s gauges and aimed towards the nearby hallway. Hendry set himself up on the opposite side of the chamber, ready to shred anything that approached in a deadly crossfire.
Footsteps began to echo through the halls, sounding louder and louder as they approached the door. With another groan of strained iron, the door eased open.
“Now,” whispered the Colonel.
The five walking corpses didn’t stand a chance. The marines opened up simultaneously, the first blasts tearing holes in the lead zombie. His body was thrown backwards by the force of the impact, sending him careening into his brethren. The following creatures howled guttural roars of frustration as they struggled back to their feet. Hendry grinned as he zeroed in on a particularly ripe, balding head. The subsequent blast took its face off, the attached body clawing at its head in mad jerking motions. McMillan
Opened up on the rearmost creatures, tearing a hole through an overweight female. She tumbled backwards, fumbling with her sidearm even as the blood left her body en-masse. Hendry took out the final two creatures with a pair of swift shots to the head, grinning with satisfaction as they slumped to the ground, twitching. The smell of excrement began to fill the room as the sub-human’s sphincter muscles gave out.
Hendry opened his hip pouch, plucking out SPAS shells and reloading his shotgun. “You think they know we’re here?”
McMillan wiped his forehead with a blackened sleeve. “You can bet on it. They’re not smart, but they’re persevering.” He turned back to the window, cocking his ear as if waterlogged. “Can you hear that?”
Hendry stepped to his side… he heard it too. It could have been footsteps… but it was too loud. Like hooves, only much, much larger. He peered down at the river below.
“What the fuck is that?”
McMillan followed the Corporal’s gaze… and saw what he meant. Of all the creatures he’d faced in his years, it was this kind that had come close to killing him.
Wading through the blood was twenty feet of muscle and metal, the scarlet liquid barely reaching its knees. Its shattered abdomen was a mass of muscles and wires, feeding through the chest to pump vital fluids to its tiny brain. The amputated left leg became a steel prosthetic at the knee, giving the footsteps a metallic edge. The horned head turned upwards as it sensed the marine’s presence, its mouth gaping open to roar in defiance. The sound was deafening.
“Let’s get out of here” McMillan advised.
Hendry grinned. “Come on, what the hell can the ugly bastard do from down there?”
McMillan became more anxious. “You don’t want to know, Corporal, now move it.”
“Yeah but…”
The Cyberdemon’s rocket tore a hole in the chamber wall, knocking both marines
To the floor and showering bricks in all directions. McMillan pulled himself back up, going back to the window only to grab the rocket launcher. He hauled Hendry back to his feet as he passed, handing the Corporal the heavy weapon as he loaded his combat shotgun back up.
“Next time, Corporal, if I tell you to do something, you fucking do it…”

Yeah. That's good stuff.

I can't set my finger on anything wrong with that story. Good description of the surroundings and I like your subtle references to the arch vile.

Are there going to be a story for each of the levels?

Well 'Portal of Hades' was a good ten parts - the entire story would be way too long if i spend that much time on each map.
I'll probably be at least mentioning all the maps, though skipping thru parts of em - in Portal, i skipped thru one section of level to keep it from dragging on.

Thanks for the comments...

I just read the first chapters of your story (and the resulting discussion with Dsm). It seems that you have some kind of fascination with arch-viles, (you avatar and all).

I think we have all wondered what would happen if a marine got resurrected by an arch-vile and it's nice to see it turning up as a main point in a story.

You do have some enormeous ambitions with this story, but if you are able to keep up the initial enthusiasm you might just be able to pull it off.

Good writing, my friend and I absolutely don't mind seeing the acting "cowardly" a few times. (Some of my best playing experiences involved running for it now an then). :)

Here's the first part of the 'prologue' to this story, written before i signed up to Doomworld - it might help you understand the significance of the Arch-Viles...

"The cavern was dark... dank... musty... the air stifling, the heat unbearable. On the colossal steps of the temple known as the Icon of Sin, a robed being stood. It's spindly body bathed in blue fire, knees touching the ground in worship even as it's thoughts brimmed with blatant contempt. And so Hades, God of the Underworld, came before the monstrous Baphomet for a single wish; a favour...
The immense horned deity, wired and dependent on the vast bank of hellish machinery that sustained it, did indeed grant the wish. In return for the Baphomet's continued protection of the Underworld, Hades would supply it with a portion of his soul for the spawning vats, to create a legion of creatures - offspring of Hades to do the Baphomet's bidding.
Thus was the Arch-Vile born.

Millennia later, Hell was in ruins. The assault on the world of mortals had been sabotaged, the Baphomet itself slain. With their master gone, the denizens of hell fell into chaos and retreat - a retreat that led directly into the Underworld. Constructing a fortress of stone and blood on the banks of the River Phlegethon, they channelled untold numbers of demons, imps, Hell knights and other blasphemous beings into the realm of Hades. With their base complete, the creatures of the dead Baphomet proceeded to lay waste to Hades' realm. Charon, the Boatman, was torn limb from limb by hungry demons. Cerebus, Guardian of the Gates, was slain and gutted, his three heads mounted on poles by the monstrous Cyber-Demons.
And the ultimate irony, Hades was torched beyond even his own fiery tolerance by a legion of his offspring, the Arch-Viles. At the behest of the Spiderdemon, Hades was crucified on an inverted cross in his own temple, his burnt and charred body left to rot above his throne.
As the years passed, the demons grew in strength, with the ultimate goal of resurrecting the Baphomet while re-opening the portal to take their hell back to Earth..."

So, it's basically about the hellspawn invading the Greek underworld and then going for the UK.

Kinda sad, that business with Hades. He was real nice chap once you got to know him.

Quite. He was only doin his job :)

PART II

Hendry followed swiftly after McMillan amid a hail of masonry. The chamber door remained open, leading down a dimly lit hall to an abrupt left turn. The Colonel eyed the intersection warily.
"Doesn't seem like we've much choice, does it?" he said - a statement rather than a question, it seemed.
Hendry eased his head round the corner. The corridor became a long, shallow staircase that ended in another left turn illuminated softly by candelabras at the base of the steps. "I wouldn't know. What are we supposed to be looking for, anyway?"
From the chamber behind, McMillan heard the frustrated snarls of the Cyberdemon. The ground shook suddenly as it launched another torrent of rockets. "Hopefully, the new gateway they've rigged up... unless..."
"Unless what?"
McMillan started down the staircase, his shotgun ready. "Nothing. Come on, let's see if we can find a way out."
The Corporal shook his head and followed his superior. What wasn't he telling?
He decided he didn't want to know.
The steps led the marines to a looming hall that continued on for another fifty feet. On either side, wooden platforms suspended in the air by iron chains flanked the room, each platform level with a corridor a good twenty feet above. Hendry shouldered his SPAS, heading over to the rightmost of these. McMillan followed cautiously.
"Check this out," stated the Corporal. "What do you make of this?"
McMillan took a step forward, eyeing the wrought iron chain that hung beside the platforms. It ran into an elaborate pulley/winch system with a large lever attached.
"Might as well try it", he offered.
Hendry wrapped gloved hands around the object and pulled. With a groan of protest from the rusting metal, the platform began to lower. McMillan couldn't hear the hissing over the din.
The platform was barely six feet from the ground when the imp attacked, throwing itself from its vantage to strike the Colonel, slashing claws across his face. He stumbled backwards, his head reeling from the assault. Clutching the rocket launcher, he swung it round from his shoulder, striking the creature across its chest. With a dull crack, several of its ribs snapped and stabbed from its body, splashing blood across the masonry.
Hendry saw the other imp skulking in the darkness of the platforms' far side, salivating heavily from a wicked smile. It leapt forward in a flash, its claws extended like talons aimed for Hendry's throat. The impact of the creature sent the Corporal crashing to the ground, knocking the wind from his lungs and cracking his head against the stone floor. The imp began raking mercilessly at his armour, tearing great chunks of titanium mesh from the vest. Hendry tried vainly to force the creature off, kicking and hammering at it's leathery skin in desperation.
With a thunderous blast of his combat shotgun, McMillan sent the murderous creature flying from Hendry amid a shower of gore, the body landing ten feet away with an unceremonious thud.
Hendry pulled himself up by the iron chain, turning to regard the Colonel. "He got you?"
McMillan reached up to his face to wipe blood from his cheek. "It's not bad. Just stings like a bitch." He stepped onto the platform. "How do we get up there?" he motioned towards the corridor above. "Unless you want to stay down here and operate this thing..."
Hendry gazed around at the maze of chains that led towards the ceiling of the vast hall. A large iron weight held in place by a massive bracket caught his eye. "Easy. Check this shit out."
Stepping onto the platform with the Colonel, he aimed his shotgun towards the bracket.
"Hold onto something."
The blast tore the rusting iron apart, sending the weight soaring downwards. At the same time, the wooden platform shot upwards, the sounds of clanging chains echoing all around. With a bone-jarring lurch, the primitive lift slamming against metal plates that jutted out from below the corridor.
Hendry couldn't help grinning at his own ingenuity. "First floor, lingerie and demons." His smile faltered as he noticed McMillan's expression. "Hey we're here aren't we?" he reasoned. "Cheer up for fucks sake."
McMillan ignored his companion, heading down the corridor. "How many shells you got left?"
Hendry faltered as he checked his hip pouch. "I count twenty. You?"
"Twenty-six, plus about ten rounds for the launcher. I just hope we can find some of the equipment they made off with."
“I dunno,” Hendry retorted. “The weapons we’ve got seem to be doing a pretty good job. Demons or not, they still die.”
McMillan almost felt like laughing at his companion’s ignorance. “Corporal, these creatures are small fry compared to some of the things here. Trust me, we need more weaponry.”
The corridor wound it’s way to a wooden barrier, looking as if it had been torn straight out of a medieval textbook. Another rusted chain hung motionlessly to it’s left.
“Our ticket out?” Hendry offered.
McMillan shrugged. “Let’s find out.” Slinging his combat-shotgun, he motioned for Hendry to cover the door as he grabbed hold of the chain. “Get ready…”
The Colonel began pulling the chain for all he was worth, grinning with satisfaction as the door eased upward inch by inch. Hendry crouched down, checked the area beyond was clear, then eased his shotgun beneath into the gap between the door and floor. McMillan looked down at the Corporal.
“Through, now!”
Hendry nodded once, scurrying for the three-foot gap McMillan had created. Seeing the Corporal was through, he dived through the space, snatching the shotgun as he passed and rolling clear of the door just as it slammed shut behind.
Hendry stood a few feet away, his eyes locked forward. Pulling himself to his feet, the Colonel too felt himself riveted by the scene before them.
The open courtyard spanned several hundred square feet, the sky hanging over them like an open wound. In the near distance, several ammo and supply crates lay shattered, their contents spilled across the stone floor. The artefact before them, however, enveloped their attention. Hovering six feet from the ground like some otherworldly apparition was a giant pentagram, glowing red in the light cast from above. It cast a ghastly reflection upon the otherwise featureless ground in the centre of the courtyard. All around, a cacophony of howling and hissing sounded maddeningly, echoing from wall to wall.
“I don’t think we’re supposed to be here…” stated the Corporal.
“I think I’m gonna agree with you there, Corporal”, replied McMillan.

The Cyber in map02 is initially just to keep you rattled thru the level. Only on Ultra-violence is there actually the option of fighting him (he's guarding the plasma rifle at the start of the map on top of the blood fountain).

I'm not sticking completely to the levels in the story, but enough that they're recognisable. If i didn't deter at all, it'd make for a pretty boring story:

"Kill zombie, get health, get ammo, kill imps, get key, kill arch-vile, end level, etc"

Of course no sane person would do that. (Though I respect the ones who can do it and still produce a decent story people would care to read).

Yeah, i wanted more in the way of character development in these stories.
Expect a couple more marines to join the fray - one who already went thru the portal and is hunting her way around the Underworld, and another guy who's currently chained to a wall in Lethe(map04). Lucky guy!

PART III

The hovering, blood red pentagram began to pulse, a slow, life-like pattern that throbbed as if blood was pumping through its ghostly shape.
McMillan‘s eyes darted between the artefact and the distant ammo crate, trying to decide whether they could make it. A second later, he concluded.
“Hendry, the crates – run for it… now!”
The marines set off in a sprint for the distant munition containers, skidding to a halt and ducking behind them. Tearing the rear panel away, he examined the contents. A pair of shining AK-75 mini-guns lay before them, packed with a couple of ammo-belt clips. Alongside these were several boxes of SPAS shells and three energy cell charges. Hendry loaded eight shells into his weapon, chambering the first round and stuffing as many more as he could into his hip pouches. McMillan slung his combat shotgun, grabbing one of the multiple-barrelled cannons and slamming home an ammo-case. Hendry’s brow was dripping with perspiration, his nervousness – no, flat out terror – showing through the otherwise arrogant façade. With their weapons fully loaded and nerves taut as violin strings, they rose from their cover.
The shimmering pentagram suddenly flashed green, momentarily blinding both Colonel and Corporal as they raised their arms to shield their eyes. As his vision adjusted, Hendry took a step back in horror.
Hell’s denizens began to flood in.
Three demons came first, stumbling as they landed on the rocky courtyard floor. Gaining their bearings, they began to hunt around, sniffing the air like dogs on a hunt. A second later, they caught the human scent and began charging like enraged gorillas towards their vantage. Hendry strafed to the left, firing round after round into the oncoming beasts and felling the lead creature mere feet away. The second made a leap for his throat, opening its maw as to tear open his cartaroid artery. It took another shotgun blast in its face, the rear of its skull exploding outwards in a torrent of grey matter. The third creature ignored the Corporal and headed straight for McMillan. Grinning, the Colonel pressed the firing stud on the mini-gun, tearing the demon off its feet and shredding the leathery skin. He distinctly heard the muffled crack of breaking bones as it crashed to the floor.
In the meantime, the creatures were being reinforced. A mob of imps, cacodemons and mancubus were making their ponderous way across the grounds, hissing and growling as they advanced. The Colonel cursed under his breath, backing up a step for a broader sweep of the oncoming beasts.
“Hendry, get over here…” he yelled over the deafening noise. Hendry stepped back cautiously, his eyes and aim never leaving the approaching horde.
“It’s your call, boss,” he commented wearily. “What the fuck are we supposed to do?”
McMillan’s eyes scanned the area, searching desperately for a way out… a door, a gateway, anything. With an epiphany that hit his brain like lightening, his eyes came to rest on the pentagram.
“Hendry, take this…” he all but threw the mini-gun, grabbing the rocket launcher from his shoulder and hastily loading up a round. “Take out as many as you can. I think I can buy us some time.”
The Corporal shouldered his 12-guage, checking the readouts on the mini-gun. Looking back up, he saw the incoming creatures and swallowed hard. “You gonna get us out of this?” He asked nervously.
The Colonel grinned. “After a fashion.”
McMillan darted towards the perimeter walls, bringing the launcher up to his shoulder. Several imps immediately veered off, heading in his direction. These were Hendry’s first targets. Ignoring the ear-splitting whine and subsequent roar of the AK-75, the Colonel made it to the north wall without incident. Tapping rapidly at the on-board console, he bought up the infrared scope and targeted the hovering artefact. Just below his field of vision, he failed to notice the ghastly teleporter flash once more. He pulled the trigger.
The high-explosive round tore the pentagram apart, the artefact exploding outwards in a shower of blood and stone. The whole courtyard began to vibrate the walls around them shuddering and crumbling like a child’s building blocks. A second later, the cacophony fell silent, calming the Colonel’s nerves and soothing his immediate worries. Standing up, he surveyed the scene.
The last mancubus crashed to the ground, its ribcage splitting in mid fall and spilling its bloated contents to the ground under the attack from the Corporal. Grinning, McMillan gave his companion a formal salute. Hendry turned to return the gesture, his eyes widening in shock as he caught sight of the three creatures screaming towards the Colonel like comets. McMillan saw them only too late.
The first of the fiery, horned skulls slammed into him, sending him crashing to the ground. The others hovered round menacingly, descending slowly in a spiral pattern upon his fallen body. McMillan blinked hard, seeing stars amid the flaming creatures as they closed in. For one brief, pain filled second, he felt content to let death have his way and release him from this seemingly eternal suffering.
Corporal William Hendry shattered such hopes. The first of the Lost Souls shattered under a deafening salvo of bullets, shocking its brethren away from their meal. Sweeping left to right, he pummelled them against the wall, tongues of flame licking upward from cracks and holes opened up in their hellish faces. With angry shrieks, the bony carapaces burst open, their last flames dying away in the faint breeze that carried the smoking, dusty remains over the courtyard walls and on to the distant mountains of Hell.
McMillan sat up, surveying the damage, accepting Hendry’s support as he stepped over and offered his hand. The north wall was shattered in places, revealing a rocky outcropping that continued downward for maybe several hundred feet. Peering over the edge, the marines gazed upon the land that lay before them.
The mountain upon which they resided was one of many that stretched out for hundreds of miles, each topped by a fortress. Below, a series of rivers coursed through the barren ‘valleys’ and faults like a system of veins in some immense being. Rivers of blood. In the near distance, the repeated, anguished howls of the Cyberdemon could be heard as it tried in vain to reach the intruders.
Hendry shook his head in dismay, nodding towards the distant horizon of crimson mountains.
“Is this what you expected?”
The Colonel’s gaze never left the rivers below.
“No,” he replied. “This is more…”

Those are good. The only thing that bugged me was Hendry grinning like a fool when he killed the zombies. I still like them.

Hendry's just learnt that the creatures that murdered his family and laid waste to half the planet can be killed - obviously, he's grinning mainly in fulfillment at his own capacity for revenge.

Also, with everything he's seen and done over the course of the story, he's bordering on insane - something that mass murder on an apocalyptic scale will do to ya...

Can't wait till you break out your first arch-vile.

I guess that big mansion in level 3 has some significance of sorts, right?

I'm definitely looking forward to reading how our heroes kick the crap out of an Archie - I never interpreted their odd sounds as laughter, but since you do, I'll be happy to read about how McMillan & Co. get the last laugh!

No fucking demon laughs at me...and gets away with it!

Last post tonite before i get some sleep...

That was the last of 'Blood Keep'... the next part will be 'The Rivers of Hades', which deals with map03-07.

And yes, Mr A. Vile will indeed be making his debut battle appearance (ignoring Portal, that is) in the mansion/fortress of 'River Phlegethon' (map03) :)

Glad to please folks :) DSM - if u get a chance, get hold of jdoom v1.13 and let me know what u think of the newly-illuminated maps, the first episode is nearly finished!!

*ZZzzzzzz*

Spike said:

Glad to please folks :) DSM - if u get a chance, get hold of jdoom v1.13 and let me know what u think of the newly-illuminated maps, the first episode is nearly finished!!

*ZZzzzzzz*

I HAVE already got my hands on jdoom v1.13 - I've already mentioned that in the Doom 3 forum.

[edit]I've written a "review" of the Underworld wad in the Wads & Mods forum where I state my opinions on the levels, check it out for some (hopefully) constructive criticism. Bear in mind that I'm "reviewing" the uw1.wad, which only has five completed levels - I don't know if you've released any later versions.[/edit]

Sorry mate, i thought u said that u hadn't used it yet.

Spike said:

Sorry mate, i thought u said that u hadn't used it yet.

Allow me to clear up ALL misunderstandings:
I started out downloading your underworld wad several weeks ago - I was in a hurry, so I just downloaded it to make sure I had it on my hard drive (I had promised you to look into it sometime), but in my hurry to do so, I failed to notice that it "required" JDoom.
So, early yesterday, I decided to try the wad - that was where I complained that it was too dark in the Doom 3 forum. Then Little faith informed me that it was designed with JDoom's lighting in mind, so I immediately downloaded JDoom, installed it and ran the wad.

I ought to thank you Spike. If it wasn't for you, then I would probably not have checked out JDoom (I've been VERY sceptical towards source ports because a version of Legacy once screwed up my computer).

God DAMN, the plasma rifle effects look SWEEEEEEEEEET in JDoom!! :-P~|

Hey don't thank me, thank Jaakko Kerenan for coming up with the port :). I'm just utilizing the tools to create something new.

I'm glad people are enjoying the stuff i come up with... it's a lot more gratifying than just being creative for myself. Later dude...

Spike said:

Hey don't thank me, thank Jaakko Kerenan for coming up with the port :). I'm just utilizing the tools to create something new.

Well, it's you and Jay who are working on a wad utilizing the JDoom port and it was you who got me interested in the wad in the first place, that's why I thank you.
But I guess I ought to commend and thank Keränen for the AWESOME port he's done :-)